There are 84 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Biggest preseason dissapointment to me: Josh Morgan

Originally posted by Brazilian49er:
Originally posted by BMore9ersfan:
Originally posted by Method:
Originally posted by RonMexico:
how can you be disappointed in someone who has done so very little to show he is a good WR?

Agreed. For a guy touted to become very good in the league, he really hasn't done much. Just like VD if you ask me.

Either way when a ball hits your hands in this league, you better f**king catch that s**t or at least make sure it doesn't get tipped up into the air for an Interception.

f**k.

Thanks to linkboy for the pic

The question is, who had him touted to be good? Yes, I've seen a couple national articles here and there listing him as a "sleeper", but nothing much. Much of what we've seen has been generated by local media and on message boards. The guy had 20 receptions, 300 yrds and 3 tds last season and some people around here have penciled him into the pro-bowl. Morgan is a classic case of over expectations from fans. I'm not saying that he wont become a good, maybe great WR some day, but come on people, it's only his second season.

It wasn't just the local media. If it were, why not create a open competition for the #2 WR spot like they did with the CBs? It's because people within the organization believe he was so good that Jones, Hill, Battle or Zeigler didn't even deserve a shot at the job.

That's where you're wrong. There are very few players on this team that went into camp with their starting positions guaranteed. Gore, Willis, Clements, Spikes, Justin Smith and couple others are about it. Morgan was penciled in as the starter at the beginning of camp, but that in no way guaranteed he would be the starter come game one. There was even talk of Bruce's time being reduced and based on the camp he was having, I wouldn't have been surprised to see Brandon Jones as a stater prior to his injury. It was us the fans that hyped Morgan up not the coaching staff. I don't remember coach Sing or any other team official say that Morgan was guaranteed a starting position. Sure they expect big thing from him, but I imagine that they expect big things from all of their promising young players.
how about hill imo biggest preseason dissappointment
I still can't see them not starting him. Based on lack of production, Hill shouldn't start either. Let's see what they do in a real game.
Originally posted by CoffeeMachine:
his biggest play was letting the ball go through his hands and being intercepted against the Raiders

Um, that was Alex Smith's fault. He put it way too high.

Wow.
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
his biggest play was letting the ball go through his hands and being intercepted against the Raiders

Wow.

Didn't you know it's ALWAYS Alex's fault.

Rule number 1:It's Alex's fault

Rule number 2 : If it's not Alex's fault please refer to rule number 1.

~Ceadder

P.S. I can just about guarantee that if we are not winning this season someone will find something to gripe about and blame Alex even though he wasn't on the field.

[ Edited by Ceadderman on Aug 31, 2009 at 11:34:08 ]
Yeah, the Morgan hype was at a ridiculous level the last 9 months; which is typical of a fanbase who has endured 7 seasons without a real receiver.
Originally posted by Ceadderman:

Wow.

~Ceadder

P.S. I can just about guarantee that if we are not winning this season someone will find something to gripe about and blame Alex even though he wasn't on the field.

Your post is Alex's fault.
Preseason is too long.
Originally posted by fan49:

edit- wait, are you talking about Shaun or Jason...if you're talking about Jason keep reading.

How...he has better #s than all of our WRs..... and to be honest I never understood how Morgan ever moved passed him on the depth chart last year. Hill was drafted higher, but I guess the team sees more potential in Morgan. but IMO, all I ever see is Jason Hill making plays and keeping quiet.....just making plays.... and so far in this preseason, while everyone is talking sh1t about him, he continues to make plays, be it against NFL starting defenses (last year) or against 2nd and 3rd stringers this preseason......

I think he just got on someone's bad side this offseason.....if he is not with us for what ever reason, I see him doing very well for some other team in the league.

I have become a huge Jason Hill fan....he just seems to just go quietly out in the field and makes plays for this team.....I can't remember the last time he dropped a pass.

but this is the thing.....I'm also a Josh Morgan fan.....it doesn't have to be one or the other....but for some reason, from the Webzone, I get the feeling that Josh Morgan fans feel they need to pick sides....and slam Jason Hill.

I really don't understand how any 9er fan can have a problem with Jason Hill....I really don't.

I was expecting Josh Morgan and Jason Hill to be our starters in a couple of years....but that was before we selected Crabtree in the 1st round....now with the invested ($$) we might put in Crabtree.....I think one these 2 young guys, Josh or Jason, will not be on our team in a couple of years.

[ Edited by Afrikan on Aug 31, 2009 at 12:33:55 ]
Originally posted by Afrikan:

How...he has better #s than all of our WRs..... and to be honest I never understood how Morgan ever moved passed him on the depth chart last year. Hill was drafted higher, but I guess the team sees more potential in Morgan. but IMO, all I ever see is Jason Hill making plays and keeping quiet.....just making plays.... and so far in this preseason, while everyone is talking sh1t about him, he continues to make plays, be it against NFL starting defenses (last year) or against 2nd and 3rd stringers this preseason......

I think he just got on someone's bad side this offseason.....if he is not with us for what ever reason, I see him doing very well for some other team in the league.

I have become a huge Jason Hill fan....he just seems to just go quietly out in the field and makes plays for this team.....I can't remember the last time he dropped a pass.

but this is the thing.....I'm also a Josh Morgan fan.....it doesn't have to be one or the other....but for some reason, from the Webzone, I get the feeling that Josh Morgan fans feel they need to pick sides....and slam Jason Hill.

I really don't understand how any 9er fan can have a problem with Jason Hill....I really don't.

I was expecting Josh Morgan and Jason Hill to be our starters in a couple of years....but that was before we selected Crabtree in the 1st round....now with the invested ($$) we might put in Crabtree.....I think one these 2 young guys, Josh or Jason, will not be on our team in a couple of years.

I was also thinking that Jason Hill has done what he needs to do when thrown to. I don't know why he is having a "bad" camp but it could be that he's miffed at the fact that he keeps getting overlooked after being a very strong stand-in for Battle as the "dependable" receiver last year.
Originally posted by Afrikan:

edit- wait, are you talking about Shaun or Jason...if you're talking about Jason keep reading.

I'm only on the side of success. I like both guys and am not picking a side. But to say that Hill is the leading Receiver on this team is a bit of a stretch when you consider the statistics of BOTH the QBs' over two games. And that Battle is once again showing why he belongs with this team. We took DOUGHNUTS well into the 3rd quarter against the Phalus Towelboys for cryin out loud. I hate 3 but I will TAKE 3. We got ZILCHED. That doesn't make me a fan of either at the moment. I live in Wazoo country and got to see HIll play in College. Freakin beast of a WR. But since we drafted him we haven't seen ANY of that from him. I hope that he does catch fire and it's with us, but it does not look too good right now Af.

And yup I am disappointed in Shaun as well. For a guy that shows that he's a leader I ain't seein it. No matter what Sing says, Hill just doesn't seem to have the leadership qualities to get it done. Both he and ALex NEED to take a page from Davis "We are GOING to get 7 here boys".

And NO, I am not on this Nate Davis bandwagon. He won true, but it was against scrubs. Let him do that schizzle against 1st and 2nd teamers an I wil be more impressed.
~Ceadder

[ Edited by Ceadderman on Aug 31, 2009 at 12:52:42 ]
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by Ceadderman:

Wow.

~Ceadder

Your post is Alex's fault.

See it's ALL Alex's fault.

~Ceadder
Jimmy Raye has been a disappointment.

2 yards and cloud of dirt here we come
it is kind of hard for Morgan to make plays with Hill only throwing the ball to the RB's. Screen play every play woohoo
  • titan
  • Veteran
Don't blame the receivers blame the QB's.