LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 255 users in the forums

Biggest preseason dissapointment to me: Josh Morgan

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by E-49er:
I hope not. We already know what Battle can do as a starter and that isn't much.

Exactly. I see a lot of people are high on Battle again after seeing him do a decent job in preseason. I can understand being excited about a rookie or someone who has yet to receive a chance as a starter doing well in preseason (like Nate Davis or Glen Coffee), but when a guy like Battle is doing well when it doesn't count, we need to think back to his time as a starter when it DID COUNT. We got little from him when he had his many chances. Doing well in preseason means nothing for veterans and former starters. Battle has had his chances and didn't make anything of them. Anyone thinking he is going to miraculously turn into a heavy contributor at the age of 29 is fooling themselves. Battle in his prime was mediocre. At this point he will only be a threat when we're in a 4 receiver set as he will have less attention due to the other receivers on the field. Starting Battle would be a big step backwards.
Originally posted by 49erRider:
I hope not. We already know what Battle can do as a starter and that isn't much.

Exactly. I see a lot of people are high on Battle again after seeing him do a decent job in preseason. I can understand being excited about a rookie or someone who has yet to receive a chance as a starter doing well in preseason (like Nate Davis or Glen Coffee), but when a guy like Battle is doing well when it doesn't count, we need to think back to his time as a starter when it DID COUNT. We got little from him when he had his many chances. Doing well in preseason means nothing for veterans and former starters. Battle has had his chances and didn't make anything of them. Anyone thinking he is going to miraculously turn into a heavy contributor at the age of 29 is fooling themselves. Battle in his prime was mediocre. At this point he will only be a threat when we're in a 4 receiver set as he will have less attention due to the other receivers on the field. Starting Battle would be a big step backwards.

Battle has been injured the last couple of years and his production has slipped but he can still be a contirbutor. Don't forget he led the nioners in receptions for a couple of years too.
In one of the articles on the home page morgan said his legs feel like jello at this point because of how hard theyve been practicing. i wouldnt be too quick to jump on him, he was explosive last year. if i would blame anyone its freaking singletary for running our recievers into the ground before weve even played a game.
Originally posted by TheG0RE49er:
Originally posted by Brazilian49er:
Originally posted by BobS:
No improvement from Alex Smith and what is looking like a wasted first round pick (Crabtree) are of much greater impact. Also that non existent pass rush is more of a problem. This team seems to have zero improvement from last year and may regress.

I'm not dissapointed at the lack of pass-rush. Why should I be? The team has not adressed that area AT ALL. All they did was bring Marques Harris and Ahmad Brooks.

What did they expect?

Ok, so you would've brought in a good pass rusher, which would've resulted in Manny getting benched (so that's your first round pick, idk how much management would've liked that) and a very good cover LB...OR you would've benched Haralson (a player that came on strong last year, and has some more potential).

How about you wait for the regular season and see how these two young linebackers since neither of them have shown their inability to play at this level, more Lawson, but lets see how he does this year.

Pass rush isn't only about the OLB. For instance, since Nolan took over, we simply did not add a good NT. Every year is the same thing, they all talk about how Sopoaga and more recently Franklin are improving, and when the regular season comes, nothing happens.

I like Haralson as a pass-rusher but Lawson is a non-factor in that area. Sure, he was coming from an injury last year, but he has been dominated this entire preseason.

But hey, if people wanna believe that, once the season starts, this team will magically "click", I'm fine with that. But like I said, looking back at our last few years, the odds are against that.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
In one of the articles on the home page morgan said his legs feel like jello at this point because of how hard theyve been practicing. i wouldnt be too quick to jump on him, he was explosive last year. if i would blame anyone its freaking singletary for running our recievers into the ground before weve even played a game.

That's a VERY good point. Definately better than that "oh, it's just preseason" BS.

I do fear that those practices will come back to haunt us.
Originally posted by 49ers1fan1982:

Battle has been injured the last couple of years and his production has slipped but he can still be a contirbutor. Don't forget he led the nioners in receptions for a couple of years too.

Who else was on the team when he led it? Brandon Lloyd? Johnny Morton? That's right, NOBODY. The only decent receiver we've had since Battle has been here is Antonio Bryant (not counting Terrell Owens since Battle did not play at all when Owens was here), and Antonio Bryant >>>>>>>>>> Arnaz Battle. People always bring up the argument that "he gets open on 3rd downs," but that was only true for ONE SEASON - 2006, the season when teams were doubling Antonio Bryant and stacking the box against Frank Gore. Battle only comes up big when the defense seems to forget about him. He was highly overrated by 49er fans because he was our biggest contributor, but when you're the biggest contributor amongst a bunch of non-factors, what does that really prove? It only means he was the best receiver out of a group of terrible receivers.

But I never said Battle wouldn't be able to contribute. He's mediocre and he'll contribute some mediocre numbers if he starts,s o he will contribute. We need more than mediocrity if we want to WIN. If Battle starts (which won't happen) then Crabtree's holdout is far more damaging than anyone could have imagined.

All that being said, it doesn't really matter because Battle will not start. Bruce and Morgan will start. Battle may see some time due to Crabtree's holdout and Brandon Jones' injury. If not for those two factors, Battle would be riding the pine.
[ Edited by 49erRider on Aug 30, 2009 at 2:07 PM ]

Who else was on the team when he led it? Brandon Lloyd? Johnny Morton? That's right, NOBODY. The only decent receiver we've had since Battle has been here is Antonio Bryant, and Antonio Bryant >>>>>>>>>> Arnaz Battle. People always bring up the argument that "he gets open on 3rd downs," but that was only true for ONE SEASON - 2006, the season when teams were doubling Antonio Bryant and stacking the box against Frank Gore. Battle only comes up big when the defense seems to forget about him. He was highly overrated by 49er fans because he was our biggest contributor, but when you're the biggest contributor amongst a bunch of non-factors, what does that really prove? It only means he was the best receiver out of a group of terrible receivers.

But I never said Battle wouldn't be able to contribute. He's mediocre and he'll contribute some mediocre numbers if he starts,s o he will contribute. We need more than mediocrity if we want to WIN. If Battle starts (which won't happen) then Crabtree's holdout is far more damaging than anyone could have imagined.

All that being said, it doesn't really matter because Battle will not start. Bruce and Morgan will start. Battle may see some time due to Crabtree's holdout and Brandon Jones' injury. If not for those two factors, Battle would be riding the pine.

Even if we signed crabs today battle would still be more important to the offense early in the year. Maybe next offseason we let him go but I just don't see it as the smart move right now.
Originally posted by TheG0RE49er:
Originally posted by BobS:
No improvement from Alex Smith and what is looking like a wasted first round pick (Crabtree) are of much greater impact. Also that non existent pass rush is more of a problem. This team seems to have zero improvement from last year and may regress.

I'm not dissapointed at the lack of pass-rush. Why should I be? The team has not adressed that area AT ALL. All they did was bring Marques Harris and Ahmad Brooks.

What did they expect?

Ok, so you would've brought in a good pass rusher, which would've resulted in Manny getting benched (so that's your first round pick, idk how much management would've liked that) and a very good cover LB...OR you would've benched Haralson (a player that came on strong last year, and has some more potential).

How about you wait for the regular season and see how these two young linebackers since neither of them have shown their inability to play at this level, more Lawson, but lets see how he does this year.

Pass rush isn't only about the OLB. For instance, since Nolan took over, we simply did not add a good NT. Every year is the same thing, they all talk about how Sopoaga and more recently Franklin are improving, and when the regular season comes, nothing happens.

I like Haralson as a pass-rusher but Lawson is a non-factor in that area. Sure, he was coming from an injury last year, but he has been dominated this entire preseason.

But hey, if people wanna believe that, once the season starts, this team will magically "click", I'm fine with that. But like I said, looking back at our last few years, the odds are against that.

I know, I know...the odds are against that, but we drafted Lawson in the first, he played good enough when not injured, of course he can be much better, he has the tools, it's not a bad thing to have a guy like him that can blanket other TE's...

Raji would've been selected by us if GB didn't take him, really no other NT out there that brought more than Franklin did at this stage, and nobody is trading/cutting their NT if he is dominant and playing the 3-4 D.

We have better options next year, and should have a better understanding of were we stand at those positions, there will be no more excuses for Manny after this year.
Originally posted by BHulman:
Originally posted by PatrickJira411:
Like in 07, we can't get the ball to our WR's. It's combination of bad play calling, bad QB play, bad pass blocking and the fact the WR's can get open quick enough.

Sadly I think your right. There is a wide range of problems with this passing offense.

...and they all start with the QB.

Who else was on the team when he led it? Brandon Lloyd? Johnny Morton? That's right, NOBODY. The only decent receiver we've had since Battle has been here is Antonio Bryant, and Antonio Bryant >>>>>>>>>> Arnaz Battle. People always bring up the argument that "he gets open on 3rd downs," but that was only true for ONE SEASON - 2006, the season when teams were doubling Antonio Bryant and stacking the box against Frank Gore. Battle only comes up big when the defense seems to forget about him. He was highly overrated by 49er fans because he was our biggest contributor, but when you're the biggest contributor amongst a bunch of non-factors, what does that really prove? It only means he was the best receiver out of a group of terrible receivers.

Even if we signed crabs today battle would still be more important to the offense early in the year. Maybe next offseason we let him go but I just don't see it as the smart move right now.

If Crabtree signed today, it would still be far too late. If he had signed before training camp it would be a different story. The team would be trying to work him in and he'd see more time than Battle.

And by the way, I didn't say Battle should be let go (not with the Crabtree situation going on and Jones' injury). But if Crabtree would have signed before TC and Jones never got hurt, Battle would have likely been cut. We already discussed this several times on here.

• susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Manny Lawson is the biggest preseason disappointment.
Originally posted by susweel:
Manny Lawson is the biggest preseason disappointment.

Yeah, I could have mentioned him along with Morgan and Clements.
i say shaun hill b/c his passes last night were horrible. Hoping it was just his back bothering him or something b/c last night our offense was horrible.
Morgan certainly needs to do a better job of catching the football. Number one recievers catch the ball. Period. Blame the QB for throwing a little too high; blame the Oline for for not giving the QB enough time if you will, however, catching the football is Morgan's job. Even balls thrown by Brady and Manning are not always placed perfectly in your hands.

Hill didn't have a great game. Big deal. He can have a good season and still have a few bad games. Even the great ones do that fellas... Rookie backs are going to miss some blocks here and there too, which sure as hell doesn't help.

Morgan is a second year WR, trying to earn the right to be the number one option. He is going to make some great plays and some poor plays. Hopefully he finds some consistency as the season progresses.

I'm expecting inconsistency from those areas.

I think the biggest problem is the pass rush though. I don't think any other problem even comes close to being as significant.

Right now, we don't have a pass rush. It's not an inconsistency issue, it's a lack issue, and that is what concerns me the most.
  • rob28
  • Veteran
wow whats wrong with morgan, 2 drops in one drive
Share 49ersWebzone