There are 184 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

What needs to happen this year

• Sandhog
  • Info N/A
Barring Shaun Hill lighting it up and driving us into the playoffs, we need to see what we really have in Alex Smith at this point. I know there are rabid fans on both sides of this argument and it really is irrelevant as to what anyone thinks because we DO NOT KNOW what we have at the qb position.

If Hill displays the same mediocre play we have seen thus far (preseason) throughout the upcoming season and Smith doesn't get a chance against first string live bullets we will never know what we do or do not have at the qb position. I could care less who is 'better,' because at this point neither one of them inspire a whole lot of confidence in me as a fan. I think Hill is, at best, an average NFL qb. Although, if he is coming off the bench I feel he's likely in the top 10% as a back-up. Smith is an unknown quantity at this point. That is a bad thing and I don't care which qb you support. It is bad for this team. We need to know if he is a bust, or mediocre, or if he got a bad rap via Nolan and can really play the position.

Nate Davis looks to have a lot of potential and game presence. That's great! Maybe he can be the missing link in our quest for another championship. I think it's certain that we won't be throwing him into the fire this year; that would be a mistake at best, and at worst a result of a catastrophic melt-down. We need to make a decision with Smith and we need to do it this year. If he doesn't get playing time we simply cannot make an informed decision going into next years draft. We have the ammo in next years draft to get a highly rated prospect. But it's hard, even foolish, to pull the trigger when you don't even know what you currently have at the position.

I think we can (mostly) agree with what we have in Hill. A solid journeyman who won't cost you games, but likely won't win them on his own either. Sure we could keep stockpiling defense and possibly eke out a SB win with a middle of the road offense, but how many of those teams repeat? Ravens, Bucs, Steelers are the most recent three that spring to mind that have won it that way. And how entertaining were those teams? About as much fun as watching a fat lady roll over on a poodle imo.

All kidding aside the only ones who were able to get back have been the Steelers and that's because (much as I hate to say it) Ben has actually developed into a pretty decent QB.

We solve the QB question we fix a lot of things at this point and (imo) this season is integral to that. I'd have np putting Hill/Smith vs Davis vs first round qb in a box and shaking it until we find one that doesn't puke.

Anyway, been reading posts here for years and finally decided to post after watching tonight's game. What is the solution to our QB quandry and why?

We need a qb, what would you do if you were Sing?
our o-line was terrible the first half against their 1st string. Even the greatness that is N. Davis wouldn't put up amazing stats and drives like he has been doing against men who will be looking for work on Monday.

He needs to be developed. Having him practice and prepare as a starter without seeing it for a year would be over load due to his learning disability and I'm a teacher speaking from experience not trying to sound mean.
  • Apone
  • Veteran
There is nothing to solve. Hill is the QB end of story. Unless Alex Smith can some how turn into Shaun Hill and be great there is no point in actually keeping him on the roster at this point.
In a way it's just bad fate for Alex..

he had he chances but blew it...

if he didn't have a bummed thumb he could of played in today's game against Dallas...and prove something to win over the coaches.....but he's MIA

NFL = Not For Long, a league based on what have you done for me lately...
  • Sandhog
  • Info N/A
Oh, no doubt Davis needs to be developed. It would be foolish to throw him to the wolves this year. I am certainly not proposing that. I am talking about the QB position down the road. Unless Hill undergoes some crazy metamorphesis it is clear that he isn't going to be our QB for the next 10 years. We need a long term solution at some point and sooner, rather than later.
  • SFNinerStud
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by Apone:
There is nothing to solve. Hill is the QB end of story. Unless Alex Smith can some how turn into Shaun Hill and be great there is no point in actually keeping him on the roster at this point.

And the IGNORANCE in the WZ speaks!! Irritating!
  • Sandhog
  • Info N/A

In all honestly I didn't see a great deal of difference between the two thus far this year. I recall reading from one of the Matts (or maybe it was insinuated in a Sing presser) that the competition was actually very close and Hill edged it out by his performance from last year. In any event it is clear, to me at least, that this position needs to be adressed...

So I take it you feel that Hill is the answer at qb for the next 8-10 years?
I was ganna say

1 better pass blocking
2 pass rush
3 sign Crabtree

but that's just my opinion
  • Apone
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Sandhog:

In all honestly I didn't see a great deal of difference between the two thus far this year. I recall reading from one of the Matts (or maybe it was insinuated in a Sing presser) that the competition was actually very close and Hill edged it out by his performance from last year. In any event it is clear, to me at least, that this position needs to be adressed...

So I take it you feel that Hill is the answer at qb for the next 8-10 years?

I think it would be asinine to put too much emphasis on the the preseason. I.E., detroit last year. One good game and people are already calling for Nate Davis to be a starter. Hill's record as a starter speaks for it self, based on that, when it actually counts he has excelled. Until proven otherwise he should be given the shot.
  • MikeyVnutz
  • Info N/A
hill is a short term solution... keep developing nate davis... if we don't like how he has progressed at the end of this season then get Sam Bradford next year and our problem is solved... either way we have a young talented QB of the future not another year with a journeyman as our new savior for the year (O'Sullivan 08, Hill 09)
Originally posted by MikeyVnutz:
hill is a short term solution... keep developing nate davis... if we don't like how he has progressed at the end of this season then get Sam Bradford next year and our problem is solved... either way we have a young talented QB of the future not another year with a journeyman as our new savior for the year (O'Sullivan 08, Hill 09)

hill is looking like a problem not any sort of solution so far!