Originally posted by teeohh:
hill

pass rush

nate clements

nate davis

brit miller

arnaz battle

You forgot Kory Sheets
Hill did not play well. Running game looked good again. Davis played great. O line needs to do a much better job pass blocking.
  • Apone
  • Veteran
shaun hill definitely had a great time. I think Davis will only grow more watching an ATG like hill.
My opinion, based on Hill's piss poor play is that he may start the season but won't be the starter when it ends.

And that makes me sad, cuz it means we will have lost games until we finally give up on him and I want to win, so I hope I'm wrong.

I didn't like the play calling at all, it was bad. I hope to never see a performance like that again.
The offense looked alright with Nate Davis and Damon Huard, the starters didn't look good at all. I'm no expert so I don't know if that is because Dallas had the 2nd stringers in or they were running a simple defense or if our second string is actually better.
Originally posted by Psinex:
Originally posted by 49erWill:
Please use this thread for post-game analysis of the offense as a whole, and/or individual players.

Be advised that relevant threads may be merged into this one at the discretion of the moderating staff.

Well, Shaun Hill looked pretty terrible. But I can't figure out if that was because our receivers couldn't get any separation from their defenders, or if Jimmy Raye's playcalling was too predictable.

Eerily reminiscent of the year Hostler was calling the plays, it seemed like the first string offense was too predictable. Dallas was far too on top of every rushing play after the 1st drive, with plenty of defenders up on the line. We couldn't get any passes out to WR's and didn't get Vernon into the game. So we rush, and we're damned, we pass ineffectively...a lot like Hostler's offense.

On the positive side, Coffee and Sheets looked pretty good. As the Dallas commentators said, if any of the RB's get cut, they won't have any trouble finding a job. Nate Davis looked pretty good too, we should try and work him into the first half for the last preseason game.

Or maybe it was a little bit of Hill just being what he is? He has been a career back up, maybe there is a reason for that. Not saying our line was good or the play calling wasn't predictable, but jeeze, he looked confused and inaccurate out there.
Being a lifelong fan of the organization..

i WANT Shaun Hill to be good..

i WANT Alex Smith to be good...

unfortunately neither of these guys have done anything to impress me, regardless of who's on their field, their poise, their ability to make quick decisions, and their arm's...none of these are dependent on who is on the field...and i am not impressed by them..

Shaun Hill will start the season, and i WANT him to succeed, i hope he goes in and wins us games for us, and does it early and often..

but if not...i want to see Nate Davis get the opportunity to play behind the starting offensive line, hand off/dump off to Frank, and throw the ball to the other Davis and our starting receivers..
Originally posted by Super9er81:
The offense looked alright with Nate Davis and Damon Huard, the starters didn't look good at all. I'm no expert so I don't know if that is because Dallas had the 2nd stringers in or they were running a simple defense or if our second string is actually better.

Huard was only in for one series and did nothing. Davis was the reason we won the game. He was the only QB on the night who looked good.
Originally posted by ads_2006:
I wanna see Nate Davis against 1st string next week.

Im not saying we should replace Hill and let Davis start, just wanna see Davis against 1st nfl talent.

Hill didnt look solid tonight or against the raiders 2nd string the week before.

Please stop saying that.

You're just going to make every conversation about Davis more difficult.
Originally posted by Super9er81:

Did you notice how Dallas kept calling blitzes on almost every other play, but the Niners only blitzed two times? What is up with Manusky's playcalling?

I saw alot of games with Davis at Ball State and i loved watching him play, he just seemed to have it and he sure did it tonight. We must keep him as our 3rd QB going into the season. Dont forget that he came into the draft as a junior and was projected as high as the 1st round before the Bowl game in January. Very refreshing performance from our 3rd QB
Originally posted by MaliCali:
Being a lifelong fan of the organization..

i WANT Shaun Hill to be good..

i WANT Alex Smith to be good...

unfortunately neither of these guys have done anything to impress me, regardless of who's on their field, their poise, their ability to make quick decisions, and their arm's...none of these are dependent on who is on the field...and i am not impressed by them..

Shaun Hill will start the season, and i WANT him to succeed, i hope he goes in and wins us games for us, and does it early and often..

but if not...i want to see Nate Davis get the opportunity to play behind the starting offensive line, hand off/dump off to Frank, and throw the ball to the other Davis and our starting receivers..

Nothing to lose at this point, I am not seeing this great QB that the Hill guys were saying he is so far this year. He hasn't looked any better than Smith, who at least has the excuse of being out of football for the past 18 months with a serious injury. I blame Joe for cursing Hill with the JTO curse...DAMN YOU JOE!
  • Chief
  • Veteran
I really can't blame Hill at all, our starting receivers got zero separation and the oline looked like complete s**t.

Our entire starting offense looked bad.

Defense play well but still lacked pass rush.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by Psinex:
Originally posted by 49erWill:
Please use this thread for post-game analysis of the offense as a whole, and/or individual players.

Be advised that relevant threads may be merged into this one at the discretion of the moderating staff.

Well, Shaun Hill looked pretty terrible. But I can't figure out if that was because our receivers couldn't get any separation from their defenders, or if Jimmy Raye's playcalling was too predictable.

Eerily reminiscent of the year Hostler was calling the plays, it seemed like the first string offense was too predictable. Dallas was far too on top of every rushing play after the 1st drive, with plenty of defenders up on the line. We couldn't get any passes out to WR's and didn't get Vernon into the game. So we rush, and we're damned, we pass ineffectively...a lot like Hostler's offense.

On the positive side, Coffee and Sheets looked pretty good. As the Dallas commentators said, if any of the RB's get cut, they won't have any trouble finding a job. Nate Davis looked pretty good too, we should try and work him into the first half for the last preseason game.

Or maybe it was a little bit of Hill just being what he is? He has been a career back up, maybe there is a reason for that. Not saying our line was good or the play calling wasn't predictable, but jeeze, he looked confused and inaccurate out there.

We haven't heard Morgan or Bruce's name called very much in any preseason games. Not like last year. If Hill saw some open receivers, he wouldn't have to hold onto the ball that long. Pretty elementary stuff.
  • Apone
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Icelandic49er:
I saw alot of games with Davis at Ball State and i loved watching him play, he just seemed to have it and he sure did it tonight. We must keep him as our 3rd QB going into the season. Dont forget that he came into the draft as a junior and was projected as high as the 1st round before the Bowl game in January. Very refreshing performance from our 3rd QB

I agree, but he'll have to wait as I don't see Hill being outset for another 5-7 years.
Share 49ersWebzone