There are 96 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Defensive post-game analysis (week 3)

Originally posted by fryet:
I noticed that the 3-4 teams are the ones that have the fewest sacks. Maybe that is just the nature of the 3-4 defense - fewer sacks unless you blitz.

looking at the stats last year

the top 3 teams in sacks were the 'boys, steelers, and eagles

boys and steelers played a 3-4 and ran (for the most part) blitz packages

Jim Johnson had his eagles blitz from every different angle.

To me, you have to blitz regardless of the type of defense you run, we are not doing that in the preseason right now at all
[ Edited by ads_2006 on Aug 30, 2009 at 1:10 AM ]
  • mod
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49erWill:
1 sack in 3 games?

thats the problem with the defense.

/thread

giving them that 1 sack is pretty generous...
Member Milestone: This is post number 600 for redmanc07.
Originally posted by DaFaro49ers:
THE STUD OF THE EVENING ON DEFENSE LADIES AND GENTLEMAN:

MARK ROMAN

YES

MARK ROMAN

He doesnt get that pick if Haralson isn't in Romo's face on that play
Originally posted by Crazy49er1313:
1 sack in 3 games?

/thread

True, but how many qb pressures? might not get the sack but definitely helped get the INTs...

Don't get me wrong, I get pissed watching opposing qbs sitting in their recliners filling out the crosswords in the newspaper, drink a beer, and then throw a first down pass, but hopefully manusky is just holding off on all of his great blitz packages and stunts.

Still wouldn't mind putting one of our 1st rounders to pick up wilfork or try out Peppers (not both, but would prefer wilfork whom I'd feel would turn haralson and brooks into some multiple sack guys)

Even so all the exotic blitzes will only get you so far (unless your name is dick lebeau) because once teams get enough film on it it can be picked up by a good oline. Sometimes you just need 4 guys that can just flat out get after the QB plain and simple. It doesnt matter what alignment or where they come from. And im afraid we only have 2 maybe 3 guys capable of doing that on the current roster
Originally posted by ads_2006:
I noticed that the 3-4 teams are the ones that have the fewest sacks. Maybe that is just the nature of the 3-4 defense - fewer sacks unless you blitz.

looking at the stats last year

the top 3 teams in sacks were the 'boys, steelers, and eagles

boys and steelers played a 3-4 and ran (for the most part) blitz packages

Jim Johnson had his eagles blitz from every different angle.

To me, you have to blitz regardless of the type of defense you run, we are not doing that in the preseason right now at all

We had better do it sucessfully in the regular season cause what we have seen so far is just plain ugly.

Otherwise the defense is coming along. I liked Smith and Brown.
Originally posted by GhostofJimmyDean:
Originally posted by teeohh:
manny lawson pisses me off

Manny who? I've already forgotten about him.

Yup Manny in this game sucked big time. He wasn't even close to the QB in any play I saw. I say start Ahmad Brooks over Manny at this point. I think Brooks has played much better than Manny throughout preseason.
I still cant believe what I have been seeing from clements last year this preseason

f**king olgtreee or ho ever you spell it and udfa whoooped clements

MANNY>CLEMENTS coverage
[ Edited by ninersrule4 on Aug 30, 2009 at 7:10 AM ]
  • 9er2k
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ninersrule4:
I still cant believe what I have been seeing from clements last year this preseason

f**king olgtreee or ho ever you spell it and udfa whoooped clements

MANNY>CLEMENTS coverage

Yeah he is playing too soft but there have been a couple of plays like the Td he gave up last week where it was obvious the safety's did'nt do there job.So far this preseason it looks like the two 1sts next year need to go to drafting a safety and a pass rusher

I sure we will blitz the hell outta Warner in game 1!
Originally posted by redmanc07:
Originally posted by Crazy49er1313:
1 sack in 3 games?

/thread

True, but how many qb pressures? might not get the sack but definitely helped get the INTs...

Don't get me wrong, I get pissed watching opposing qbs sitting in their recliners filling out the crosswords in the newspaper, drink a beer, and then throw a first down pass, but hopefully manusky is just holding off on all of his great blitz packages and stunts.

Still wouldn't mind putting one of our 1st rounders to pick up wilfork or try out Peppers (not both, but would prefer wilfork whom I'd feel would turn haralson and brooks into some multiple sack guys)

Even so all the exotic blitzes will only get you so far (unless your name is dick lebeau) because once teams get enough film on it it can be picked up by a good oline. Sometimes you just need 4 guys that can just flat out get after the QB plain and simple. It doesnt matter what alignment or where they come from. And im afraid we only have 2 maybe 3 guys capable of doing that on the current roster

Other than Haralson, I believe we have no one on the roster who can flat out beat his man from time to time. Justin Smith...maybe. As people have already stated, the sacks will come from blitzes...corner, safety, LB's...unless Manny steps up big time it could be the end of the line for him this season.
Does Justin Smith have short arms or something? He can't seem to stretch his arms straight out very well. It's like watching a T-rex try to grab a marble rolling on the floor.
Manny Lawson is another first rd bust unless he steps up his game BIGTIME this season. He was getting knocked on his ass all game. He has no passrush moves and if he doesn't have em by now he never will.
1 sack in 3 games?

/thread

why don't you lock it then
Originally posted by derek_allen_02:
Our problem is the DT's. They are not getting any push. When haralson and lawson come off the end, romo could step up in the void because their is no push by the DT's. If you look at the cowboys DT play, they pushed it back where shaun hill couldn't hardly step up when the LB's come rushing from the end.

Somebody gets it... thank you. Our OLBs don't suck, but they are also not special enough to defeat OTs inside either. So they need to run their arc while the DL keeps the QB from stepping inside from their rush. To do that, the DL has to be effective at winning the LOS battle and getting penetration up the middle. That doesn't happen often at all, and our decent but limited OLBs will continue to suffer until it does happen.

B.J. Raji would have helped to make this happen... damn you, GB.
Originally posted by nflguy49:
Manny Lawson is another first rd bust unless he steps up his game BIGTIME this season. He was getting knocked on his ass all game. He has no passrush moves and if he doesn't have em by now he never will.

He wants to be like Merriman, Just run over the person. But he doesn't have the power. And it seemed like our blitzing was just running into the block. What about some stints? Misdirection?

ugh.