LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 169 users in the forums

Favorite 49er/cowpuke moment.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
One of our biggest rivals throughout our history. So many great moments come to mind.

1994 NFC Championship game, ( I was there) smoking them 38-28, getting a 21-0 lead in the first 7 mins. and getting revenge for the previous NFC title games 2 years running.

The Catch Jan. 10th 1982 ( need I say more) I was born that day and my dad missed that game. He always tells that story.

T.O. running to the star twice in a regular season in Sept. 2000. I will always love T.O. for that and for his catch vs. green bay in 98 Wild Card. Gardner rushed for over 200 yards. Jerry Rice had a couple TD's and we killed them 41-24.

2002 regular season game, we come back in 4th qrt. to win 31-27, after trailing 27-17 with like 8 mins. left. ( I was at that game too, so its special to me. I was sick when dallas got that 27-17 thinking we were going to lose to those bums, but Garcia had a great comeback.

A few moments that come to mind there for me. What moments for you?
[ Edited by Jamespowers on Aug 28, 2009 at 8:26 PM ]
Elvis Grbac and walking wounded 49ers team surprise the world and mouthy Cowboy fans in an epic 38-20 beat-down of the Cowboys on their home field at Texas Stadium in November 1995.

I had just moved to the Dallas area and the folks at work were giving me hell. Dang, even my realtor was mouthing off. They were merciless. They couldn't even look me in the eye on Monday.

The funniest thing was that Michael Irvin could only mumble during a radio interview the next day, it was like he was punch drunk. I don't think I've enjoyed any other 49er victory more.

Originally posted by SanFranAddic:
Elvis Grbac and walking wounded 49ers team surprise the world and mouthy Cowboy fans in an epic 38-20 beat-down of the Cowboys on their home field at Texas Stadium in November 1995.

I had just moved to the Dallas area and the folks at work were giving me hell. Dang, even my realtor was mouthing off. They were merciless. They couldn't even look me in the eye on Monday.

The funniest thing was that Michael Irvin could only mumble during a radio interview the next day, it was like he was punch drunk. I don't think I've enjoyed any other 49er victory more.

Oh yeah, how could I not put that in there, we were 5-4 and they were 8-1. We race out to a 24-0. 31-7 at half. 1st 49ers offensive play, 81 yard pass to Jerry Rice. 1st cowboys offensive play, pass to michael irvin ,who fumbles, and Merton Hanks chicken dances to the end zone. Classic game! There used to be youtube clips of it, but NFL copyright took it down
Originally posted by Jamespowers:

Oh yeah, how could I not put that in there, we were 5-4 and they were 8-1. We race out to a 24-0. 31-7 at half. 1st 49ers offensive play, 81 yard pass to Jerry Rice. 1st cowboys offensive play, pass to michael irvin ,who fumbles, and Merton Hanks chicken dances to the end zone. Classic game! There used to be youtube clips of it, but NFL copyright took it down

Weren't Crack Irvin and Deion teasing the GOAT the week before the game saying that he looks like a "clown" and stuff.
THE CATCH!
I saw the game at Kezar in 1967. John Brodie was injured so George Mira was quarterback. He was sacked on the first play of the game by Bob Lilly, but led the 9ers to a 24-16 win.

There was the 1995 game where Grbac hit Rice for an 81 yard TD on the first or second play. 9ers won 38-20. Michael Irvin and Deon Sanders had bragged before the game how they were going to smoke the 9ers...guess not.

TO going out the star TWICE at Texas Stadium was epic. I still admire him for this. It took juevos and gall and he was just the guy to do it.
  • Chico
  • Veteran
Originally posted by fortyninerglory:
Originally posted by Jamespowers:

Weren't Crack Irvin and Deion teasing the GOAT the week before the game saying that he looks like a "clown" and stuff.

Not to brag but I KNEW the 49ers were going to win that i was making bets with my coworkers and won $100- It was just the bragging rights to say "IN YOUR FACE!"

I HATE THE COWPOKES!
I have seen a lot of 49er and Cowboy games in person but there will never be a game that surpasses that day in January 1982 when we beat the Cowboys to go to our first SB. Getting to be a Candlestick and experience the highs and lows of that game then win it the way we did, seeing grizzled old 49ers fans in tears the chaos in the streets is a memory I will cherish forever.

• crzy
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Bejaard49er:
I have seen a lot of 49er and Cowboy games in person but there will never be a game that surpasses that day in January 1982 when we beat the Cowboys to go to our first SB. Getting to be a Candlestick and experience the highs and lows of that game then win it the way we did, seeing grizzled old 49ers fans in tears the chaos in the streets is a memory I will cherish forever.

Wow, the block by Randy Cross coming around the right side on a sweep was sick. It's about four plays in. Just blew the guy up.

I'm a little too young for the Catch and too old to have TO and the Star be my favourite.

My best was in the regular season in 94, when Young dropped a beautiful pass over the outside shoulder to Rice in the endzone. It was the first time in 2 1/2 years that we were going to finally beat them and it really cemented the fact that we were the team to beat for the rest of the season. I think the reg season win also really helped in the Championship game as there was no fear, they knew the could beat them. (Then the 3 turnovers helped!!!)
  • the_woad
  • Info N/A
My first football memory was the 1994 season, so I didn't see the rivalry in the zenith of its glory. But with that said...

My favorite Niner/Cowboy moment was in 1995 when the Jerry Rice went in to Texas Stadium and made Deion Sanders look silly. It was just too cool to see the GOAT toy with the best cover corner in the game.
The first INT by Merton at the Stick during the "monkey (Montana) off his back, Young" NFC Championship game. Awesome man, and ONLY the first one. Aikman looked so stunned. But hey, more stunning to come.. LOSERS!!!

I drug Aikman's effigy doll I made that night to the game from Santa Cruz behind my El Camino with Niner fans honking the whole way to the lot. Needless to say, what we Niner fans did to his doll in the lot can't be commented on!

NINERS 2009!!!!!
[ Edited by Bali-Niner on Aug 29, 2009 at 12:55 AM ]
Eric Davis' pick six in the NFC Championship game. That set the tone for the rest of the game!
Originally posted by PatrickWillisHOF:
Eric Davis' pick six in the NFC Championship game. That set the tone for the rest of the game!

Wasn't that Merton? I remember the Chicken dance in the zone..?!
Share 49ersWebzone