LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 227 users in the forums

Who will start at R CB, Spencer?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Originally posted by lamontb:
Once Spencer got paid he hit hte cruise control button, then the injuries came. I havn'et seen anything out of Spencer or Brown in pre season to see how they beating out Bly. but then again bly stunk up the joint last year. Week 1 isn't far away so soon we shall see

Yeah i agree with this.

Brown has never jumped out at me when he was playing. Bly has been getting the vast majority of the 1st team reps and i don't see that changing.

-9fA

True sounds like a sound bite to motivate Brown and Spencer this weekend. And with Roy Williams out I need to see our secondary dominate the cowboys WR's. Dominate them badly no way should the cowboys WR's be given any cushion or any respect by the defense.
I must say I'm a little surprised that Manusky has not named the starter for the right cornerback position. I know the staff is very high on Tarrel Brown but I feel Bly has played pretty well in his absence. I feel Brown has tremendous upside but he hasn't played much this preseason. I like the kid, but I think Bly should start week 1 vs. Ari.

Thoughts?
  • evil
  • Veteran
http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/thread.php?num=128783&highlight=CB
  • TheChosenOne
  • Info N/A
I don't know man, tough one....I'm gonna say Brown since he's the long term investment, and also played well & sing likes him a lot.

Bly as the nickel, and let Spencer go...This guy is forever hurt, and has't done Sh!t since he got that extension couple years bk...
Originally posted by KRS-1:
http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/thread.php?num=128783&highlight=CB

Oh crap. I didn't see that one. Sorry about that!
I must say I'm a little surprised that Manusky has not named the starter for the right cornerback position. I know the staff is very high on Tarrel Brown but I feel Bly has played pretty well in his absence. I feel Brown has tremendous upside but he hasn't played much this preseason. I like the kid, but I think Bly should start week 1 vs. Ari.
  • TheChosenOne
  • Info N/A
I don't know man, tough one....I'm gonna say Brown since he's the long term investment, and also played well & sing likes him a lot.

Bly as the nickel, and let Spencer go...This guy is forever hurt, and has't done Sh!t since he got that extension couple years bk...
Originally posted by King49er:
doesn't matter, we have depth at CB, thats all I care about

I agree, just wanted to know who should start before we have a game where that guy gets burned on too many pass plays that could cost us the game.

It wont happen...but the way Nate has played the past couple of games........

Ill take Bly, since he's been in camp. He really does pick up schemes quick bc he seems settled in.
Speaking of Fitz, can you name the CB who has the most experience covering him?

Who went to college with Fitz? Spencer.
It wouldn't be right to take it away from Bly. He has been working hard and he's and established vet. Let him mess up before it goes to Brown.
I would say Bly, Brown could eventuly take over but for now he should be nickle and spencer dime.
Here's something to consider. It has been reported by Maiocco and Barrows that all of the following players were injured in Singletary's nutcracker drill: Willis (Achilles and ankle), Baas (foot), and Brown (toe). Perhaps, there was also a 4th or 5th player.

All 3 of these playters have missed multiple weeks of training campo as a result of this drill. Something tellls me that Singletary's command of the team might be compromised a bit, if a player lost his starting job, as a result of participating in this particular drill, which does not correspond to an actual football situation, where the goal of the defender is to shed a block.

No one is going to take Willis' starting job, so long as he is 90% or so healthy. There has been surprisingly little follow-up by the media about Baas, with everyone simply assuming that Baas will re-claim his starting LG job from Wragge, as soon as he is healthy. But Baas is STILL not healthy. Brown was right there competing with Harris for the starting RCB job, when the nutcracker took him down.

So, could it be that Manusky is obliged to keep Brown in the starting RCB discussion until his actual play (which has been much delayed) determines things? Otherwise, it's not hard to imagine grumbling about guys "losing their job to the nutcracker".

I sense that the nutcracker was a serious detriment to training camp. We can now identify about 11-12 man-weeks lost from training, attributable to that specific drill(Willis=3, Baas=4 or more, Brown=4).

I am one fan who never wants to hear about the nutcracker drill again. Can we please run football drills for football players?
Share 49ersWebzone