There are 201 users in the forums

Who will start at R CB, Spencer?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
doesn't matter, we have depth at CB, thats all I care about
Once Spencer got paid he hit the cruise control button, then the injuries came. I haven't seen anything out of Spencer or Brown in pre season to see how they beating out Bly. but then again bly stunk up the joint last year. Week 1 isn't far away so soon we shall see
[ Edited by lamontb on Aug 28, 2009 at 6:57 AM ]
Shawntae Spencer defines inconsistent. Sometimes great, sometimes not so great.

I think that's why there is so much dissension in the Zone about it.
Sammy Davis is just a phone call away.......

Originally posted by AKfanster:

We do not speaketh its name any longer. Tis forbidden.
Originally posted by NickSh49:

What about the great Mike Rumph? Now that's a solid duo at CB, Davis and Rumph! Nate, Bly, Brown, and Spencer got nothing on those guys.
BLY, and then Brown or Spencer depending on who the 3rd WR would be on Off. If a small fast 3rd WR, then Brown. If it is a bigger physical 3rd WR, then Spencer.
Originally posted by NickSh49:

What about the great Mike Rumph? Now that's a solid duo at CB, Davis and Rumph! Nate, Bly, Brown, and Spencer got nothing on those guys.

My head hurts.
Originally posted by Sactown49er:
BLY, and then Brown or Spencer depending on who the 3rd WR would be on Off. If a small fast 3rd WR, then Brown. If it is a bigger physical 3rd WR, then Spencer.

They could always slide Bly/Brown inside over the slot WR, thus leaving Spencer lined up on the outside guy. I remember the D doing that in 07 with Harris and Spencer.
Spencer was a decent starter, but an even better Nickel corner. One of the best Nickel CB's actually. I'm fine with having Clements, Bly, Spencer, Brown.

Bly had a couple crap years...why name him the starter now? Put the pressure on him with Brown coming back, put pressure on the both of them by putting Spencer's name in it.
Bly wins it easily. They say Brown and Spencer is right there with him, but anyone who's been watching can see that Bly is already claiming that spot.

I've watched Bly stink it up in Denver the last couple years, but I must say, I'm been pleasantly surprised at how well he's looked for us so far. He says he just got lazy in Denver, but he's focused now. He's looking very good for us.

As for Spencer, he'll be in competition with Brown for nickel.
Is there room for Eric Green, too?
Originally posted by lamontb:
Once Spencer got paid he hit hte cruise control button, then the injuries came. I havn'et seen anything out of Spencer or Brown in pre season to see how they beating out Bly. but then again bly stunk up the joint last year. Week 1 isn't far away so soon we shall see

Yeah i agree with this.

Brown has never jumped out at me when he was playing. Bly has been getting the vast majority of the 1st team reps and i don't see that changing.

-9fA
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TX9R:
I don't see how it isn't Bly. Brown has missed too much camp and Spencer has been inconsistent his whole career. the real question is who will be the nickel back.

Spencer being inconsistent his whole career means NOTHING in this competition. What matters is how they are faring now. Very weak argument for Bly IMHO.
Share 49ersWebzone