There are 147 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

We need four QBs on the roster

The question is why.

The answers:

1) It doesn't hurt

2) If we only ahd Hill only (but not Smith) and the Hill got injured, we'd have Huard as starter and Davis as back up to carry us through the season. How far could they carry the team?

3) We don't want to risk putting Davis on the practice squad and another team claiming him

4) Singletary basically gave the Job to Hill, because there was no separation between Smith and Hill (No confidence in either QB at this point). Because of this uncertainty, we need more options at QB during the season in case both Smith and Hill are ineffective.
Unless we keep 4 QB's, which I do not think is likely, Huard is gone.
with this o-line, I would say 4 QB's would not be too irresponsible.
as long as we keep sheets i don't mind but if we cut him i will be upset !
Either Smith should be traded or Huard will be cut (and if I were Huard, I'd think I'm the odd man out).

Four quarterbacks is one too many. No way they can risk putting Davis on the practice squad.

Bye-bye, Damon?
Huard is gonna get cut. Noway we keep 4.
Originally posted by Ohio49er:
Either Smith should be traded or Huard will be cut (and if I were Huard, I'd think I'm the odd man out).

Four quarterbacks is one too many. No way they can risk putting Davis on the practice squad.

Bye-bye, Damon?

Agreed, you are the Weakest Link. Good bye.
Nate Davis, practice squad. Will keep three QB on roster
  • rob28
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 561
Originally posted by susweel:
Huard is gonna get cut. Noway we keep 4.

i agree, he'll be available in f.a. if we need him anyway.
Originally posted by rob28:
Originally posted by susweel:
Huard is gonna get cut. Noway we keep 4.

i agree, he'll be available in f.a. if we need him anyway.


Agreed....I have a good feeling about Nate the Great...hopefully he develops and if we need Huard later on...he will be there.
It does hurt because the spot will very well be taken from somewhere else, ie maybe WR or RB.

-9fA
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
It does hurt because the spot will very well be taken from somewhere else, ie maybe WR or RB.

-9fA

exactly. i really hope we don't keep 4. Cut Huard. He'll be sitting around midseason if we really need him.
Huard is the odd man out! Hill as the starter as long as he makes wise decisions, avoid turnovers and missing open receivers. I think his job is to manage the game while they apply the "Ground and Pound" game. This can be scary as they can become predictable with their run, run, pass offense, at which case Hill doesn't have a shot at being successful.

Smith is a "Works in Progress" STILL only because of McCloughan who wants to give him every opportunity to progress. After all, he (Scott) is responsible to drafting him and paying him all that money. Gotta find a way to save face!

There must be something in " You're holding the ball too long .. overthrowing most of your receivers" that Alex doesn't seem to comprehend. It's puzzling since he knows full well that it can make or break him. hhmmmm???

Nate Davis? He looked good even though he was playing with the 2nd and 3rd stringers. He made good decisions and ran the plays as well as anyone can expect.

Don't be surprised if one day he's competing for the Starting QB job.!
[ Edited by Kauaiguy on Aug 24, 2009 at 7:02 PM ]
  • fryet
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 2,840
Nate Davis won't be able to clear waivers. You don't spend a 5th round pick on a player and then try and put them on the practice squad, imo. Nate showed enough for us to have confidence that he can be our third string QB. For that reason, Huard is unnecessary.
Originally posted by fryet:
Nate Davis won't be able to clear waivers. You don't spend a 5th round pick on a player and then try and put them on the practice squad, imo. Nate showed enough for us to have confidence that he can be our third string QB. For that reason, Huard is unnecessary.

yup. besides, the 3rd Qb only suits up as an emergency player. The 4th QB wouldn't suit up at all. So that would be 2 players on gameday that we're carrying that won't play at all.

I agree that davis probably won't clear waivers. No reason to chance it. He's got lots of potential. Huard we can pick up during the season if we need him, like I said, or if not him, then some other marginal veteran qb will be available.