LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 145 users in the forums

Dyrell Briggs

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Ok, I don't know how to spell his name, so forget about that. But, did you guys notice that two players, at two seperate times, said Briggs is doing really good?

During the game, Spikes was asked "what young guys are sticking out to you?" and he said Briggs.

After the game, Lawson was asked that and said Briggs as well.

I hadn't heard much about this guy before that. Only fragments. Do you guys think he's gonna make the team? He seems to be making an impact with the other players and yet remains a bit invisable to the media. Thoughts on this guy?
Players are most familiar with other players in their own position group. So, it's not surprising that 2 veteran LB's named Briggs. It is somewhat surprising that they named Briggs instead of McKillop, whom the coaches seem to love. Briggs looks like a no-brainer for the PS. Give him a year in the system to bulk-up a little, learn the NFL ropes, and next year, when Ulbrich retires, he can be a strong competitor for that roster spot. Barring injury, no LB roster spot available for 2009.
Originally posted by jimbagg:
Players are most familiar with other players in their own position group. So, it's not surprising that 2 veteran LB's named Briggs. It is somewhat surprising that they named Briggs instead of McKillop, whom the coaches seem to love. Briggs looks like a no-brainer for the PS. Give him a year in the system to bulk-up a little, learn the NFL ropes, and next year, when Ulbrich retires, he can be a strong competitor for that roster spot. Barring injury, no LB roster spot available for 2009.

briggs is an OLB
He is looking very good. I would like to get him on the practice squad to get a year under the defense & off-season program to get bulked up a bit.
I agree with the statement about him bulking up this year and learning as much as possible on the PS. He seemed to have some great speed off the edge, just needs some weight and polishing of his moves. Very Raw, lots of potential.
i dont want tthe guy to amke the team as Im convinced that roger god-all will take away a niners draft pick if he does...he just doesnt want any briggs playing linebacker for the niners
He looks good. Put him on the PS and let him bulk up and we might have a diamond in the rough. It looks like he a killer first step and very good instincts.
He stood out to me as well, always seemed to be around the play.
He has made the most of his opportunities so far and he's looking very good. He's going to make it difficult to cut him.
Hate to say this, but we're better off signing a veteran castoff from another team than hoping that a young UDFA like Briggs can make the transistion. He's definitely a guy worth keeping on the PS and developing over time, but we need someone who can help us right now in passing situations.

I don't know exactly who that will be, but someone decent will get cut for some reason (numbers game, high salary, a team wanting a high draft pick to start, etc.) and we need to swoop in quickly when that happens.
[ Edited by GoFD74 on Aug 24, 2009 at 3:45 PM ]

• GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GoFD74:
Hate to say this, but we're better off signing a veteran castoff from another team than hoping that a young UDFA like Briggs can make the transistion. He's definitely a guy worth keeping on the PS and developing over time, but we need someone who can help us right now in passing situations.

I don't know exactly who that will be, but someone decent will get cut for some reason (numbers game, high salary, a team wanting a high draft pick to start, etc.) and we need to swoop in quickly when that happens.

If not, hello Roderick Green x 5
Practice squad for sure. We need some emergency depth for the season at the OLB position.
Originally posted by GEEK:
Originally posted by GoFD74:

If not, hello Roderick Green x 5

Didn't Green get arrested for speeding and weeding a few months back???
The def. lineman Mitchell has also been impressive granted its against the scrubs but I would like to see him get a little time with the 1's or 2's.
You never know when you'll have that diamond in the rough. James Harrison just worked and worked at it, and then exploded on the scene.

Could Briggs be that kind of guy? I think we should try to keep him long enough to find out.
Share 49ersWebzone