LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 294 users in the forums

short yardage situations

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • afg49
  • Info N/A
i know we been stuggling the past couple years on short yardage, i was thinking brandon jacobs and vd are similar in size i think we should use vd on 4th and goals at the 1 or 3rd and shorts plus once defenses see when we bring in davis cuz its a short yardage situation it sets up the play action
  • mod
  • Veteran
Originally posted by afg49:
i know we been stuggling the past couple years on short yardage, i was thinking brandon jacobs and vd are similar in size i think we should use vd on 4th and goals at the 1 or 3rd and shorts plus once defenses see when we bring in davis cuz its a short yardage situation it sets up the play action

because its really not that simple... if it was we would just give it to our biggest linemen and have him run forward. Its about vision, about finding the weak point in the defensive line and plowing through it... and on top of that its about having strong offensive lineman who can push not only the opposing lineman but also the linebackers and safeties behind them.

I wouldnt be opposed to trying it out but I also wouldnt bet on it working.
VD is not a power rb, no way. Our biggest problem recently in short yardage was due to our offensive line. I think since Coffee is such a physical runner, he would do well in getting 1 or 2 yards.
you s**ttin me?
  • Dino
  • Veteran
Coffee has done a good job getting the 3rd and 1s. i know its only preseason but he runs between the tackles really well and hes a physical guy.
lol
well it looked like we did good this past game

We drafted Coffee for this very reason.
[ Edited by pwilly52 on Aug 24, 2009 at 8:31 AM ]
Originally posted by pwilly52:

We drafted Coffee for this very reason.

Answer here. Thread can be locked now.

Originally posted by RonMexico:
you s**ttin me?

along the lines of this would be my opinion LoL
Based on this assessment why not try Balmer or Soapaga?.
Or this dude:

All we'd have to do is give him the ball and roll him into the endzone.
[ Edited by pwilly52 on Aug 24, 2009 at 12:16 PM ]
I would hope that short yardage offense would be major area of improvement in the Raye offense vs the Martz offense. Martz was about spread. Raye is about power. An OL which is going forward in run-blocking more ofte, rather than sitting back in pass protection more often, should be better at short yardage blocking.

Certainly, a ball control offense, which the Niners will feature in 2009, MUST be successful in most short yardage situations, in order to keep the chains moving. Ball control teams have LOTS of short yardage situations.

Yes, the short yardage offense has been lousy since Larry Allen retired. To some degree, it was even lacking before Allen retired. Some of factors which I sense may help the short yardage offense this year:

1. maturation of the OL.
2. attitude and confidence of the OL from lots of in-game run-blocking
3. power-oriented play-calling by Raye
4. Foerster, not Warhop, as OL coach
5. Coffee as a power back, when/if Gore is "dinged"
6. Rathman, not Nathan, as RB/FB coach
7. Hill a very effective short passer, preventing a defensive sell-out to the run.
8. QB can audible in the Raye system.
9. a FB who can blow open the hole, not "sneak through to the 2nd level".
Share 49ersWebzone