LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 207 users in the forums

I say we try nate davis with first team offense

Shop Find 49ers gear online

I say we try nate davis with first team offense

I say if I read one more thread about starting a clearly inexperienced QB to start the season, I am going on a shooting spree.
  • supersing
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by Legbreaker:
I say if I read one more thread about starting a clearly inexperienced QB to start the season, I am going on a shooting spree.

LOL, this sums it up. not even surprised that this thread has the legs for 8 pages. funny assumption of the day - Singletary wants to run the ball 35 times a game. he's no dummy, he and every offensive coordinator he interviewed knew our quarterback situation. we have no choice. but that's ok. we can still win. if baltimore can win a super bowl with you know who, we can win with Shaun.
Originally posted by Legbreaker:

U said it brotha. I say give davis 2 years before even thinking of him vying for a starting position. We drafted him for a reason, so I wish we stopped with all the trade for a new qb midseason, or in next years draft. We finally have continuiity so let's stick with that for a while.
"Raye said 49ers haven't decided on 3rd QB. He said he liked what he saw from Nate Davis, but he was using limited offensive package w/him. "

-Matt M's twitter

They should let Davis utilize the whole playbook before considering if Davis should get any reps with the 1st team.
Originally posted by obx49:
People seem to forget that Davis was a first round prospect who dropped because of his disability. If it wasn't for this disability then Davis would have been selected in the first round and would have been part of the competition for starting QB. Although it was against the Raiders second and third team defense, Davis performed admirably showed many skills that Hill and Smith do not posses such as poise in the pocket, a strong arm, the ability to elude the rush, and accuracy.

This is a painfully, really painfully incorrect statement. Davis was never going to be a first round pick after laying a turd in his last two games: In the MAC Championship Game and the GMAC Bowl, he turned the ball over 9 times including 6 fumbles, and measuring at about 6'1 1/2". He could have been a Rhodes' scholar, and he still woudn't have been a first rounder.

This was a player who was a couple of picks away from being a 6th rounder, and who knows how far he would have fallen.

His learning disorder is only one part of the problem.
  • TOP_CAT
  • Info N/A
As everyone knows,I built and drive the Nate"the great" Davis bandwagon . I have been hoping for him to become a Niner since last years college season. I was elated that we stole him in the 5th round ,when he clearly had 1st round talent (better than many 1st rounders recently drafted,one on our own team,lol).

BUT,even I don't believe he is nearly ready to be the starter and not even the 2nd stringer at this point. He is the ideal 3rd stringer for the short term. In a year or maybe longer,he can compete for the starting job and we will have our franchise QB for the next 10 years ,a QB we can ALL be proud of ,that can lead the team to great things.
But not yet. He needs to fine tune his game and learn the NFL game for at least a year. After that he can learn and get even better ,while playing.
He may get some time with the 1st team offense (as this thread states) in one or both of the final 2 preseason games,but NOT because he is anywhere near starting with that unit.( but we do have that to look forward to ,until then,Hill will be just fine !).
this thread makes me want to...
Ohh $h**!! 8 pages!
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
People seem to forget that Davis was a first round prospect who dropped because of his disability. If it wasn't for this disability then Davis would have been selected in the first round and would have been part of the competition for starting QB. Although it was against the Raiders second and third team defense, Davis performed admirably showed many skills that Hill and Smith do not posses such as poise in the pocket, a strong arm, the ability to elude the rush, and accuracy.

This is a painfully, really painfully incorrect statement. Davis was never going to be a first round pick after laying a turd in his last two games: In the MAC Championship Game and the GMAC Bowl, he turned the ball over 9 times including 6 fumbles, and measuring at about 6'1 1/2". He could have been a Rhodes' scholar, and he still woudn't have been a first rounder.

This was a player who was a couple of picks away from being a 6th rounder, and who knows how far he would have fallen.

Why do you have to come in here with sanity and reason. You completely burst the "bubble of insanity" and now how are we to respond. I can't help it that Momma's snorting coke, and Daddy's making another batch of meth, but what are the childred supposed to believe now.

On another note, I like Davis but he is a "project" to say the least. Yes, he has some intangibles but he's got a lot of learning to do.
Originally posted by eddy99_1999:
I'm watching the game and I like his pocket presence ,arm , and decision making. what do we have to lose

Quote:
what do we have to lose

Time... Reps with Hill who is going to start and needs to build some confidence and timing with receivers. The more work they get, the better they gel. No dicking around cause its winning time! Maybe next year if he continues to show growth.

Originally posted by Norcal9erfan:
I'm watching the game and I like his pocket presence ,arm , and decision making. what do we have to lose

Quote:
what do we have to lose

Time... Reps with Hill who is going to start and needs to build some confidence and timing with receivers. The more work they get, the better they gel. No dicking around cause its winning time!...

Yep. Especially after the poor showing against the Raiders. Hopefully we get to see more of Davis in the 2nd half against the Cowboys.
  • obx49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by MadDog49er:

So two games is indicative of his whole college career? The kid was a winner at Ball State and has many school records to prove it. I'm not saying start the kid right away, but we are talking about pre-season here. Why not allow him an opportunity to play against a first team defense so the organization can see what kind of future the kid has with the 49ers? Let's face the facts: 1) Alex Smith will not be here next season 2) If we don't make the playoffs, then you can assume we will have a new QB next season whether it may come via the draft, trade, or free agency. In these next two pre-season games if Nate Davis performs like he performed against Oakland then I believe Nate Davis should be the second string QB.
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Originally posted by genus49:

For some reason, i doubt that...

Show me a link?

-9fA

Davis was very highly regarded going into that season. Not sure why a link has to be necessary. You either follow the draft or you don't. His stock slipped later in the year and his learning disability was a big part of why.

But here you go - first link when you google 'nate davis nfl draft'

http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/profile_display.cfm?prospect_id=1740

Thanks for the link but i was looking for a specific link that stated that his fall from the first round was because of his mental disability. The article you linked speculates that the slip was more so due to poor performance in workouts and a mediocre offseason.

By the way, your link was the only that i found that had him projecting in the 1st round before his decline.

-9fA

This is probably the most in depth story on Nate Davis out there...and while Chadiha is a bit of a homer (being a Ball State Alum), he does put out the bad and the good in this story.

Link

Here's a quote for you all to chew on...

"Now I realize Ball State isn't the NFL but I haven't been around a quarterback with better pocket presence than Nate. And I recruited Tom Brady to Michigan when I was there.”
-- Brady Hoke, former Ball State head coach now at San Diego State, on Nate Davis

Having said that,and being a Nate Davis fan as a fellow Ball State Alum, I do not think he should be considered a starter either. However, we all know the real starters in the main positions barely play in the fourth preseason game, and I would be interested to see Davis come in after that initial token first possession with at least a decent amount of the starters out there. No, don't name him a starter, but why not give him a little time with some of the first team when you are protecting Hill from injury in the meaningless 4th preseason game?
Originally posted by SanFranAddic:
Originally posted by Norcal9erfan:

Quote:
what do we have to lose

Time... Reps with Hill who is going to start and needs to build some confidence and timing with receivers. The more work they get, the better they gel. No dicking around cause its winning time!...

Yep. Especially after the poor showing against the Raiders. Hopefully we get to see more of Davis in the 2nd half against the Cowboys.

I agree with continuing to see him. Just not with the starters at the expense of some production. I bet he will be in for quite a while in the last exhibition game too.
Originally posted by mrgneissguy:
Originally posted by genus49:

For some reason, i doubt that...

Show me a link?

-9fA

Davis was very highly regarded going into that season. Not sure why a link has to be necessary. You either follow the draft or you don't. His stock slipped later in the year and his learning disability was a big part of why.

But here you go - first link when you google 'nate davis nfl draft'

http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/profile_display.cfm?prospect_id=1740

Thanks for the link but i was looking for a specific link that stated that his fall from the first round was because of his mental disability. The article you linked speculates that the slip was more so due to poor performance in workouts and a mediocre offseason.

By the way, your link was the only that i found that had him projecting in the 1st round before his decline.

-9fA

This is probably the most in depth story on Nate Davis out there...and while Chadiha is a bit of a homer (being a Ball State Alum), he does put out the bad and the good in this story.

Link

Here's a quote for you all to chew on...

"Now I realize Ball State isn't the NFL but I haven't been around a quarterback with better pocket presence than Nate. And I recruited Tom Brady to Michigan when I was there.”
-- Brady Hoke, former Ball State head coach now at San Diego State, on Nate Davis

Having said that,and being a Nate Davis fan as a fellow Ball State Alum, I do not think he should be considered a starter either. However, we all know the real starters in the main positions barely play in the fourth preseason game, and I would be interested to see Davis come in after that initial token first possession with at least a decent amount of the starters out there. No, don't name him a starter, but why not give him a little time with some of the first team when you are protecting Hill from injury in the meaningless 4th preseason game?

Thanks for the article. I am hoping we get to see more of him in the Dallas game since Smith is having issues with his thumb. I am curious to see what he does.

Welcome to the ZONE.
Share 49ersWebzone