There are 69 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

I say we try nate davis with first team offense

I say we try nate davis with first team offense

Originally posted by DesiDez:
I'm watching the Cowboys game again (for the 3rd time) and Davis is very impressive. I remember watching him at Ball State on Thursday nights last season and thinking that he was just a natural QB. Everything looks easy to him. There's nothing mechanical about his footwork or throwing motion.

There's just certain things that I don't think you can teach a QB. I'll talk about 3 specific throws that he made:
1) his throw to Finley was perfect. He avoided the pass rush, bought time in the pocket, kept his eyes forward looking, and fired a bullet where only Finley could catch the ball.
2) His throw to Walker on a crossing pattern. He stands tall in the pocket and throws a pass in front of Walker with very nice touch- again where Walker is the only person who can possibly catch it (something that Shaun Hill is known for)
3) Bootleg pass to Spurlock on the sideline. Sold the play fake very well (he actually does this very well), bootlegs to the right, freezes the secondary as if there's a WR running a post or seam route, then fires another bullet to Spurlock away from the CB.

Sure this rookie will make his mistake and probably take chances that he shouldn't, but he has some natural quarterbacking ability that I think Alex Smith doesn't even have.

Nate has a great pump fake as well. We should be patient with him this season because we might have hit the jackpot with Davis.

Good post.
Originally posted by DesiDez:
I'm watching the Cowboys game again (for the 3rd time) and Davis is very impressive. I remember watching him at Ball State on Thursday nights last season and thinking that he was just a natural QB. Everything looks easy to him. There's nothing mechanical about his footwork or throwing motion.

There's just certain things that I don't think you can teach a QB. I'll talk about 3 specific throws that he made:
1) his throw to Finley was perfect. He avoided the pass rush, bought time in the pocket, kept his eyes forward looking, and fired a bullet where only Finley could catch the ball.
2) His throw to Walker on a crossing pattern. He stands tall in the pocket and throws a pass in front of Walker with very nice touch- again where Walker is the only person who can possibly catch it (something that Shaun Hill is known for)
3) Bootleg pass to Spurlock on the sideline. Sold the play fake very well (he actually does this very well), bootlegs to the right, freezes the secondary as if there's a WR running a post or seam route, then fires another bullet to Spurlock away from the CB.

Sure this rookie will make his mistake and probably take chances that he shouldn't, but he has some natural quarterbacking ability that I think Alex Smith doesn't even have.

Nate has a great pump fake as well. We should be patient with him this season because we might have hit the jackpot with Davis.

I'm just hoping we don't rush the kid which it doesn't seem like we are going to do, and allow him to develop and just master the PB. If we let him learn just like Aaron Rodgers did, he should do fine.
My dream senerio is Hill does well enough this season to get us into the playoffs, while Davis sits and learns the offense. Then come next year, he shows so much on the practice field that the coaches have to play him fist string.

Personally I wouldn't mind if you sub the name Davis with Smith, but I'm pretty sure that wont happen.
It is going to take Hill getting injured or going 1-6 and then the pain of watching smith play before he gets yanked until we will get to see Davis. Crazy thing is Davis has better Mechanics, natural talent and arm strength than both Hill and the Smither. He just doesn't have the experience of the latter.

After watching him in pre-season. I am impressed, regardless of his comp, period. You can't coach intangibles. He dose have excellent poise and an absolute rifle for an arm. He can throw that 25-35 yarder on a string and he appears to be good at taking what is given him. Something Smith NEVER did but Hill does as good as he can with said abilities.

Stafford might start in Detroit (P Manning and others think he should just start and take his lumps) but Culpepper (A veteran we didn't even sniff) might snag that spot. My point is Who are we fooling going out there with Hill? Are we really thinking we can get to the playoffs with Hill at QB? Am I way off base here??

[ Edited by ninerfan818 on Sep 1, 2009 at 23:56:24 ]
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
My dream senerio is Hill does well enough this season to get us into the playoffs, while Davis sits and learns the offense. Then come next year, he shows so much on the practice field that the coaches have to play him fist string.

I don't think that would happen unless we saw some of him during the season. Even if he did tear it up during practice and preseason next year, he probably wouldn't get the nod without at least a little bit of playing time during the regular season to get an idea of how he would handle it. My dream scenario is we do well enough to get into the playoffs, and even blow some teams out of the water by the 3rd quarter, allowing Nate Davis to finish out the 4th quarter and gain some experience against starting defenders.
I like Hill but I think he's just keeping the seat warm for Davis. By week 5, Davis will be starting
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by Super5:
Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by SFL49ER:
Originally posted by TheChozen:
The best thing for Nate Davis right now is to let him sit and learn.

I think thats wrong brother. Im sorry. I'd love to sit and watch a Niner game with you, but I think its wrong

Would you rather throw him to the wolves like we did to A. Smith?

Like I said before.. Alex Smith NEVER looked as good as Nate Davis has, not even against 3rd stringers. He never had the accuracy, poise, decision-making ability and pocket presence that Nate Davis has shown. NEVER! On top of that, the situation for our QBs is much better now than when Alex Smith was "thrown to the wolves." We are a power-running team now. The emphasis will be on Gore and the other runners. The QB will not be asked to win games himself. I normally never say this about rookies and I am one of the guys that understands that we can't put much into preseason games, but Nate Davis has shown things that none of our other QBs have and the level of competition he's facing doesn't have much to do with any of those things. If we had ANYONE who was definitively better, I would say he needs to sit and learn from that guy. But, sadly, we do not have any GOOD QBs so I just don't see Nate Davis playing as a bad thing for us.

What?,no mention of Shaun?

What about Shaun? He's a serviceable QB, but he is not a GOOD QB no matter how you slice it. I want him to start, but I don't think he's that much better than Nate Davis at this point, and Nate Davis will get better with experience.

I am of the opinion that Shaun Hill should be our starter until he does something to mess it up, which he hasn't done. I am not saying Davis should start right off the bat. What I'm saying is if Shaun Hill plays poorly, our season is done. If that happens, I'd like to see Nate Davis get some experience rather than go through the same old Alex Smith experience (I am not a "Smith Hater" but I do know what we have in him and I'd rather see what we have in Davis since his upside seems to be so much higher).

Agreed,he lit up against Dallas like Romo just as he's been doing all preseason

Hill has yet to do anything to lose his job during the regular season. He is not a good practice player and he's not a good preseason player. That much is obvious, because if he was ever any good at practice or during preseason he wouldn't have been a career 3rd stringer before arriving here. On top of that, his performance during the Dallas game is being blown way out of proportion. He didn't do nearly as awful as people on here make it seem. I'm not saying he did well, but people are acting like he came out and threw 4 INTs and did nothing promising. He made a couple nice throws and to be fair, he wasn't given many opportunities to "light it up" like everyone wants to see. I'm sorry for not joining the "Lets Hate Hill Because He Hasn't Lit It Up During Preseason" bandwagon, but it's gonna take more than a shaky performance during an exhibition game to offset all the good things he's done for this team in the 10 games he's started for us when it counts.

I'm not a Hill hater but I'm also not a Hillusionist.It's been noted he's not a good practice player but the not good preseason player part you're just making that up as you go.Would've been nice to see him throw ONE TOUCHDOWN PASS THIS PRESEASON,wouldn't you agree???????

Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by SFL49ER:
Originally posted by TheChozen:
The best thing for Nate Davis right now is to let him sit and learn.

I think thats wrong brother. Im sorry. I'd love to sit and watch a Niner game with you, but I think its wrong

Would you rather throw him to the wolves like we did to A. Smith?

Like I said before.. Alex Smith NEVER looked as good as Nate Davis has, not even against 3rd stringers. He never had the accuracy, poise, decision-making ability and pocket presence that Nate Davis has shown. NEVER! On top of that, the situation for our QBs is much better now than when Alex Smith was "thrown to the wolves." We are a power-running team now. The emphasis will be on Gore and the other runners. The QB will not be asked to win games himself. I normally never say this about rookies and I am one of the guys that understands that we can't put much into preseason games, but Nate Davis has shown things that none of our other QBs have and the level of competition he's facing doesn't have much to do with any of those things. If we had ANYONE who was definitively better, I would say he needs to sit and learn from that guy. But, sadly, we do not have any GOOD QBs so I just don't see Nate Davis playing as a bad thing for us.

What?,no mention of Shaun?

What about Shaun? He's a serviceable QB, but he is not a GOOD QB no matter how you slice it. I want him to start, but I don't think he's that much better than Nate Davis at this point, and Nate Davis will get better with experience.

I am of the opinion that Shaun Hill should be our starter until he does something to mess it up, which he hasn't done. I am not saying Davis should start right off the bat. What I'm saying is if Shaun Hill plays poorly, our season is done. If that happens, I'd like to see Nate Davis get some experience rather than go through the same old Alex Smith experience (I am not a "Smith Hater" but I do know what we have in him and I'd rather see what we have in Davis since his upside seems to be so much higher).

Agreed,he lit up against Dallas like Romo just as he's been doing all preseason

Hill has yet to do anything to lose his job during the regular season. He is not a good practice player and he's not a good preseason player. That much is obvious, because if he was ever any good at practice or during preseason he wouldn't have been a career 3rd stringer before arriving here. On top of that, his performance during the Dallas game is being blown way out of proportion. He didn't do nearly as awful as people on here make it seem. I'm not saying he did well, but people are acting like he came out and threw 4 INTs and did nothing promising. He made a couple nice throws and to be fair, he wasn't given many opportunities to "light it up" like everyone wants to see. I'm sorry for not joining the "Lets Hate Hill Because He Hasn't Lit It Up During Preseason" bandwagon, but it's gonna take more than a shaky performance during an exhibition game to offset all the good things he's done for this team in the 10 games he's started for us when it counts.

I'm not a Hill hater but I'm also not a Hillusionist.It's been noted he's not a good practice player but the not good preseason player part you're just making that up as you go.Would've been nice to see him throw ONE TOUCHDOWN PASS THIS PRESEASON,wouldn't you agree???????

I wonder if we looked at the stats of all the other NFL QB starters currently slated to start and see what other ones never threw a TD during the preseason!

i knw for a face, Quinn, Anderson, Russel havent.
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ninerfan818:
It is going to take Hill getting injured or going 1-6 and then the pain of watching smith play before he gets yanked until we will get to see Davis. Crazy thing is Davis has better Mechanics, natural talent and arm strength than both Hill and the Smither. He just doesn't have the experience of the latter.

After watching him in pre-season. I am impressed, regardless of his comp, period. You can't coach intangibles. He dose have excellent poise and an absolute rifle for an arm. He can throw that 25-35 yarder on a string and he appears to be good at taking what is given him. Something Smith NEVER did but Hill does as good as he can with said abilities.

Stafford might start in Detroit (P Manning and others think he should just start and take his lumps) but Culpepper (A veteran we didn't even sniff) might snag that spot. My point is Who are we fooling going out there with Hill? Are we really thinking we can get to the playoffs with Hill at QB? Am I way off base here??

I think the coaching staff is thinking that Hill is the only QB we have with a winning record so he deserves a shot. Also, he's undefeated at home. We'll see. If he fails, that's it. He's done. Get ready for Nate Davis/Alex Smith in 2010.
Rookie QB Nate Davis might be Crabtree's best friend on 49ers. They hung out together, but Davis says he hasn't talked to him in 3 weeks.

http://twitter.com/MattMaiocco

Wow Davis and Crabtree clicked over the summer. I can't wait to see what the future holds with them already gettign some Chemistry off the field.
Originally posted by global_nomad:
Rookie QB Nate Davis might be Crabtree's best friend on 49ers. They hung out together, but Davis says he hasn't talked to him in 3 weeks.

http://twitter.com/MattMaiocco

Wow Davis and Crabtree clicked over the summer. I can't wait to see what the future holds with them already getting some Chemistry off the field.

assuming crabtree does indeed sign and Davis is given a fair chance. I like davis. I didn't know anything about him when he was drafted but watching him in the preseason, he makes things look easy. He's got a strong, accurate arm and seems to be at home being QB. I hope he is developed properly and takes over at QB for a long while.
Originally posted by socalniner:
I like Hill but I think he's just keeping the seat warm for Davis. By week 5, Davis will be starting

Originally posted by TheG0RE49er:

It can still happen.

"Fluke" go-kart accident involving Alex Smith and Shaun Hill!!! News at 12:00PM!!!

(Main culprit, socalniner).

good call
Originally posted by RonMexico:

good call

I never saw how we would just skip over Smith and put in our 3rd string QB. But hey if it helps him sleep at night.