I say we try nate davis with first team offense

Shop Find 49ers gear online

I say we try nate davis with first team offense

Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
Originally posted by SFL49ER:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
I've changed my mind on the matter.

We should start Davis, since he is clearly the best preseason QB on our team.

But that is not going to be enough. We should bench Frank Gore for Glen Coffee. In fact, Sheets has also been better, so we should move Gore down to the third string. After Robinson's strong effort against the Raiders, maybe Gore should be fighting for a roster spot.

I've been very impressed with Marcus Hudson this preseason, and it is time we sit Nate Clements.

And, Jacob Bender was really outstanding at LT against the Cowboys, and Staley had some shaky moments. So, time to demote Staley for Bender.

And, that Miller kid. Who needs Norris? Time to dump him.

We need to make these changes, NOW.

I agree. Dump all the starters. They are not performing.......in the preseason. I think we will get our wish.....in the game against the Chargers. It is the last game in what?....................the preseason.

No, I think we'll be good if we just start Nate Davis. He for sure is better than Flacco, IMO of course. Thats OK. I just want you guys to admit to those on board with Nate that they were in fact right-IF, they are in fact right. Im sorry Im not on board with Hill anymorerrrr. I've just seen much better and he is on our team

Better than Flacco? OMG! On what do you base this "analysis"?

For the sake of argument, what if he starts against Arizona and gets flattened? (which would happen imo) What then? You gonna jump ship on him too?

I'm "on board" with Nate, provided he's given the time needed to develop properly, not before.
I believe there is something special about him, something I didnt think when we drafted him. Im saying Flacco is not the savior in Baltimore these analyists make him out to be. We' will see more this year.
Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by TheChozen:
The best thing for Nate Davis right now is to let him sit and learn.

I think thats wrong brother. Im sorry. I'd love to sit and watch a Niner game with you, but I think its wrong

Would you rather throw him to the wolves like we did to A. Smith?

Like I said before.. Alex Smith NEVER looked as good as Nate Davis has, not even against 3rd stringers. He never had the accuracy, poise, decision-making ability and pocket presence that Nate Davis has shown. NEVER! On top of that, the situation for our QBs is much better now than when Alex Smith was "thrown to the wolves." We are a power-running team now. The emphasis will be on Gore and the other runners. The QB will not be asked to win games himself. I normally never say this about rookies and I am one of the guys that understands that we can't put much into preseason games, but Nate Davis has shown things that none of our other QBs have and the level of competition he's facing doesn't have much to do with any of those things. If we had ANYONE who was definitively better, I would say he needs to sit and learn from that guy. But, sadly, we do not have any GOOD QBs so I just don't see Nate Davis playing as a bad thing for us.
S**t! You almost convinced me. Almost.

I agree with most everything you said, except the confidence part. What happens when something does not go his way, what happens to his confidence then? A kid like that can pick up the paper a Monday after a loss where he threw a pick to lose the game and reads what everyone is saying about him, pretty big buzzkill. Gotta tread lightly with this kid. I don't think Smith coming out of Utah the 1st pick overall was lacking confidence at that point. Bad things happen in the NFL that make young qbs LOSE confidence.

I think you might be selling Nate Davis' mental toughness short. We really don't know if he would be heavily affected by the scenario you've brought up. With proper handling by the coaches, I believe he would be able to withstand such a letdown.

Alex Smith's confidence was shattered when he realized the game moves too quickly for him and it was too difficult for him to make quick, smart decisions. He lost his confidence when he realized he couldn't read defenses, when he realized his accuracy is nowhere near where it needs to be, when he realized he lacks poise, when he realized he is not comfortable in the pocket, when he realized it is difficult for him to go through his progressions and find an open target while under pressure. Alex Smith didn't just lose his confidence because a few mistakes resulting in a loss.
Originally posted by 49erRider:

I think thats wrong brother. Im sorry. I'd love to sit and watch a Niner game with you, but I think its wrong

Like I said before.. Alex Smith NEVER looked as good as Nate Davis has, not even against 3rd stringers. He never had the accuracy, poise, decision-making ability and pocket presence that Nate Davis has shown. NEVER! On top of that, the situation for our QBs is much better now than when Alex Smith was "thrown to the wolves." We are a power-running team now. The emphasis will be on Gore and the other runners. The QB will not be asked to win games himself. I normally never say this about rookies and I am one of the guys that understands that we can't put much into preseason games, but Nate Davis has shown things that none of our other QBs have and the level of competition he's facing doesn't have much to do with any of those things. If we had ANYONE who was definitively better, I would say he needs to sit and learn from that guy. But, sadly, we do not have any GOOD QBs so I just don't see Nate Davis playing as a bad thing for us.

What?,no mention of Shaun?
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
I've changed my mind on the matter.

We should start Davis, since he is clearly the best preseason QB on our team.

But that is not going to be enough. We should bench Frank Gore for Glen Coffee. In fact, Sheets has also been better, so we should move Gore down to the third string. After Robinson's strong effort against the Raiders, maybe Gore should be fighting for a roster spot.

I've been very impressed with Marcus Hudson this preseason, and it is time we sit Nate Clements.

And, Jacob Bender was really outstanding at LT against the Cowboys, and Staley had some shaky moments. So, time to demote Staley for Bender.

And, that Miller kid. Who needs Norris? Time to dump him.

We need to make these changes, NOW.

There is a big difference between Nate Davis compared to the other QBs we have on our roster and the lame, sarcastic comparisons you made in this post. Every guy you suggested we replace with somebody else is a good player and is CLEARLY the best option at their respective positions. At QB, however, NOBODY is that much better than the next guy. Hill is better than Smith, but neither of them are that much better than Davis, if at all. I don't see a big drop off from Hill & Smith to Davis. Everyone you sarcastically mentioned would provide a major drop off in talent. Try again.
Originally posted by Super5:

What?,no mention of Shaun?

What about Shaun? He's a serviceable QB, but he is not a GOOD QB no matter how you slice it. I want him to start, but I don't think he's that much better than Nate Davis at this point, and Nate Davis will get better with experience.

I am of the opinion that Shaun Hill should be our starter until he does something to mess it up, which he hasn't done. I am not saying Davis should start right off the bat. What I'm saying is if Shaun Hill plays poorly, our season is done. If that happens, I'd like to see Nate Davis get some experience rather than go through the same old Alex Smith experience (I am not a "Smith Hater" but I do know what we have in him and I'd rather see what we have in Davis since his upside seems to be so much higher).
No point on starting him now. Let him just sit down for a year and we shall see where he is at next year and if he seems ready to compete we let him but right now it won't do him any good to be thrown out there. Let him learn from the mistakes of Hill and Smith so he knows what not to do.
nah
If 49erRider is correct about all of Alex Smith's deficiencies, then how could he even have been drafted, let alone be a first round pick. Maybe not every NFL GM had Smith ranked as the best QB in the draft, but I'll bet the vast majority thought he was worth a first round pick.

There had to be evidence that Smith would become a very good NFL QB, provided he was properly developed. Some QBs do well in chaos, behind s**tty OLs. Others are more structured, cautious, etc. and need to go to a team with a good line and excellent receivers.

Nate Davis shows raw ability, but even Singletary seems to believe he needs time to develop. That desperation pass he threw at the end of the Dallas game was a perfect example of his immaturity. He was lucky it did not result in a INT. If rushing Alex into battle as a rookie was a mistake, then why repeat the same mistake over again?
  • fan49
  • Veteran

i think he would react way better than smith. and im a smith guy

• fan49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by excelsior:
If 49erRider is correct about all of Alex Smith's deficiencies, then how could he even have been drafted, let alone be a first round pick. Maybe not every NFL GM had Smith ranked as the best QB in the draft, but I'll bet the vast majority thought he was worth a first round pick.

There had to be evidence that Smith would become a very good NFL QB, provided he was properly developed. Some QBs do well in chaos, behind s**tty OLs. Others are more structured, cautious, etc. and need to go to a team with a good line and excellent receivers.

Nate Davis shows raw ability, but even Singletary seems to believe he needs time to develop. That desperation pass he threw at the end of the Dallas game was a perfect example of his immaturity. He was lucky it did not result in a INT. If rushing Alex into battle as a rookie was a mistake, then why repeat the same mistake over again?

there two different players....... nate i think would handle that extremely well!
If 49erRider is correct about all of Alex Smith's deficiencies, then how could he even have been drafted, let alone be a first round pick.

He was drafted based on his college performance, which we all know doesn't translate into NFL success. He was the first overall pick because we made a huge mistake. His numbers were inflated because of the spread offense he ran at Utah and that's what caused us to make the mistake of choosing him over Aaron Rodgers.

He showed all his deficiencies at the pro level and none of them are deniable. His draft status has nothing to do with his current abilities at the pro level.

If rushing Alex into battle as a rookie was a mistake, then why repeat the same mistake over again?

If you're gonna read my posts enough to try to knock them, why don't you read them in their entirety? Like I said, the situations are not the same. We have more talent and the QB is not expected to be the focus of the offense this year. On top of that, Nate Davis has shown qualities that Alex Smith has never shown - not even against 3rd stringers. They are not the same person and Alex never showed the type of poise, accuracy and pocket presense that Nate Davis has. Not against 3rd stringers, not against starters, not ever.

That "why put him in when Alex failed as a rookie" argument is weak. What if the Falcons looked at Alex Smith and said "we shouldn't start Matt Ryan because Alex Smith failed as a rookie and we don't want to make that mistake as well." Ryan is different from Smith, and so is Davis. Not everyone fails their rookie season just because another guy did.

Another thing.. "rushing Alex into battle" is not the reason he's failed as an NFL Quarterback. Whether he started his rookie season or not would not change the fact he lacks essential qualities that make QBs successful in the NFL: accuracy, ability to read defenses, ability to go through progressions, ability to make quick decisions, ability to make plays work after they've broken down. He lacks all of it. He looks uncomfortable out there because he IS uncomfortable out there and he's uncomfortable out there because he lacks the ability to be a successful pro level QB. I am one of the guys who has always wanted Smith to succeed, but I often find myself arguing against him because people can't seem to open their eyes and look at reality when it comes to Alex. He failed because he lacks certain qualities, not because he was inserted during his rookie season.
I'm a strong supporter of Alex and hope he will get a chance to start at some point this year.

But Nate* does look the most confident in the pocket out of all our qb's. He can move around well, cannon for an arm, good accuracy...

We can slowly develop him along while we test the waters with Hill and Smith.

[ Edited by WestCoast on Sep 1, 2009 at 00:13:10 ]

Thank you. Though I feel Shaun has earned the right these past years to start this season, I would not at all mind seeing Nate start if things go bad down the line. With a very solid running game, and some pretty good receiving options, he could have the kind of support Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco had last year to succeed.

Major emphasis on the COULD, I know it's asking for a lot. We'll have to see if the season gets low enough to the point where we want to look for that glimmering light of hope we've been looking for at QB for so long.

That said, with some of the vets resting on Saturday, I hope we get to see Nate early against the Chargers to see more of what he can do when (hopefully) there are first stringers out on defense.
I would very much like to see Nate Davis get into the San Diego game with the #1's just to see how he handles himself. It's only a pre-season game and pre-season is about evaluating the talents of your players. I think it would be foolish not to explore how he might do in the last pre-season game because the defense will be more vanilla than in the regular season.
Share 49ersWebzone