There are 167 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

I say we try nate davis with first team offense

I say we try nate davis with first team offense

MB says it all:
"Every 49ers fan pining for rookie Nate Davis to be the 49ers' regular-season starter should have watched Davis during the midpoint of the afternoon practice. It would have cured you."

Guys, playing against a group of third and fourth stringers as a backup QB late in the game is far different from being a starting QB.

He's not even close. Even his best pass of the day should have been deflected or intercepted.

End the Disney movie in your mind, and lower expectations for the kid. It is not fair to "make" him the starter in some fantasy world.
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Aug 27, 2009 at 4:00 AM ]
If Hill cannot go in the preseason then I am all for Nate running with the first team in PRESEASON. Come game one, it needs to be Hill. Nate needs to sit and watch. Maybe in a few years a la Aaron Rodgers.
  • carl
  • Veteran
But this always works in Madden!!!
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
MB says it all:
"Every 49ers fan pining for rookie Nate Davis to be the 49ers' regular-season starter should have watched Davis during the midpoint of the afternoon practice. It would have cured you."

Guys, playing against a group of third and fourth stringers as a backup QB late in the game is far different from being a starting QB.

He's not even close. Even his best pass of the day should have been deflected or intercepted.

End the Disney movie in your mind, and lower expectations for the kid. It is not fair to "make" him the starter in some fantasy world.

I'm not advocating Davis getting to run with the first team. However, you left out a few pieces of information from MB's blog that I think are relevant:

Quote:
Damon Huard, the only other healthy quarterback on the team, didn't fare any better. In fact, at one point Mike Singletary had to halt practice, gather the offensive players around him and tell them - forcefully - to get on the same page. Huard led the first-string offense this afternoon, a tipoff that he likely would be the starter Saturday if Shaun Hill (back) can't play. Huard's first two plays: an incompletion and a flubbed snap.

To be fair, both players had decent 2-minute drives. They started on their own 30 yard line with 1:56 to play. Huard went 7 of 11, hitting Vernon Davis three straight times before lofting the final, last-second pass into the end zone where it was picked off by Patrick Willis. Nate Davis' two-minute drive lasted 10 seconds. He zipped the ball down the middle to Delanie Walker. Rookie safety Curtis Taylor looked like he would easily swat the ball away but somehow he missed it, the ball landed in Walker's hands and he raced to a 70-yard touchdown. Now that's how you end a practice.

Here's why I point this out. Likely, this is the first time Davis and Huard had worked extensively with the #1's on offense and faced the #1's on defense (adjusting to new personnel). If Hill hadn't gotten hurt on his first snap of practice, these guys would not have taken these reps, so you get the sense that they were likely not prepared. It's notable that not only did Davis struggle (no big surprise), but so did Huard (a 13 year-veteran).

However, when it mattered most (2 minute drill), Huard failed to punch it in, where Davis struck quickly with a 70-yard TD pass.

Point being, there's a very good chance that he's not as far behind as some of us think. Should he start opening game? Of course not...but I bet if via injury he had to, he wouldn't completely embarrass himself.
[ Edited by GoFD74 on Aug 27, 2009 at 8:27 AM ]
MB says it all:

starting davis this season would indicate that 3 other guys have been hurt.

but with smith and hill out, it wouldn't be all that wrong to let him gain some experience in preseason. this will reveal his greatest flaws, so he'll know what to work on during the season.
  • 49ersPERU
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Nate Davis, the new Thomas Clayton.

-9fA

LOL
Originally posted by zugschef:
MB says it all:

starting davis this season would indicate that 3 other guys have been hurt.

but with smith and hill out, it wouldn't be all that wrong to let him gain some experience in preseason. this will reveal his greatest flaws, so he'll know what to work on during the season.

Exaggeration goes both ways.
They should rename this forum to 'Knee-jerk talk'
Of course he isn't good enough to start for the niners this season, but then people like you go to the other extreme and say 'he was HORRIBLE, and will be TERRIBLE vs starters!'
That isn't true either.
  • 49ersPERU
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by fryet:
If neither Smith nor Hill can start, then I would start Davis. It would allow us to evaluate him more, and give us a better idea on whether he can be our third string QB during the season. In fact, I would have him play the whole game. Huard is probably going to be cut, so there is no point in giving him playing time.

WELL SED
Originally posted by 49ersPERU:
Originally posted by fryet:
If neither Smith nor Hill can start, then I would start Davis. It would allow us to evaluate him more, and give us a better idea on whether he can be our third string QB during the season. In fact, I would have him play the whole game. Huard is probably going to be cut, so there is no point in giving him playing time.

WELL SED

I would give him two quarters with the starters in the 4th game and see what he has !
well, it IS preseason. may as well see what he has. at least for a series. in this case, with smith and hill hurt, why not? let him practice.
This thread was stupid to start with. I hope the recent practice shows just how unprepared Davis is for the NFL and how he needs to be brought along slowly. Don't expect a saviour.

And yes:

-9fA

-9fA
[ Edited by 9erfanAUS on Aug 27, 2009 at 3:40 PM ]
Originally posted by pantstickle:
Originally posted by 49ERwhiner:
Hey I wouldn't mind getting another longer glimpse of Davis in the Dallas game.

It's going to be all bench players, and Davis will be passing against air. His stats will look good (no defense), and everyone will overreact. Yay.

Ok , I can see that I should have added a disclaimer for my wanting to see more of this kid. No I don't want to see him take any playing time away from Hill. I simply meant that I want to see him behind center a little more and not just handing the ball off as in the Denver game.

The only way that I would want to see him in with the #1's would be if both Hill and Smith were unable to play in a pre-season game. I just want to see him get as much experience as possible during these pre-season games. I want the coaches to get a good long look at him so that they can both evaluate and maybe develop him if he continues to impress.

I will admit that I am not a big fan of our current QB situation as it is so far ------ so I want the coaches to discover fairly quickly if this kid is any good or if we need to look elsewhere for some answers.

After seeing him in the Raiders game I find him just a little bit intriguing and I do realize from reading that his knowledge of the offense seems to be limited at this time.
This thread was stupid to start with. I hope the recent practice shows just how unprepared Davis is for the NFL and how he needs to be brought along slowly. Don't expect a saviour.

And yes:

-9fA

-9fA

Seconded
Originally posted by pantstickle:
Hey I wouldn't mind getting another longer glimpse of Davis in the Dallas game.

It's going to be all bench players, and Davis will be passing against air. His stats will look good (no defense), and everyone will overreact. Yay.

Ok , I can see that I should have added a disclaimer for my wanting to see more of this kid. No I don't want to see him take any playing time away from Hill. I simply meant that I want to see him behind center a little more and not just handing the ball off as in the Denver game.

The only way that I would want to see him in with the #1's would be if both Hill and Smith were unable to play in a pre-season game. I just want to see him get as much experience as possible during these pre-season games. I want the coaches to get a good long look at him so that they can both evaluate and maybe develop him if he continues to impress.

I will admit that I am not a big fan of our current QB situation as it is so far ------ so I want the coaches to discover fairly quickly if this kid is any good or if we need to look elsewhere for some answers.

After seeing him in the Raiders game I find him just a little bit intriguing and I do realize from reading that his knowledge of the offense seems to be limited at this time.

Most readers understood what you meant. I think you are right.

I have been predicting that Davis will be thrust into a starting role sooner than later, before he is 100% ready, so any experience he gets with and against starters will only help him.
like i said try him with first team offense what do we have to lose