LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 230 users in the forums

Our receivers and separation

Shop Find 49ers gear online
As the preseason progresses, Crabtree's minimal "leverage' increases somewhat with several reviews that rightfully question our receivers' ability to create separation. There's no doubt we're deeper in talent than we've been in years, but that's not saying much. What is disturbing, and frankly I don't know if it's entirely accurate, and that's where my fellow 'Zoners can help me, is that some writers feel our current crop, incl morgan, aren't getting that all-important separation. and getting open is the name of the game, as well as YAC. If true, and I'm going to specifically watch for it in upcoming games, it would seem to boster CrabGreed's position and we certainly don't want that, do we? What say you?
Originally posted by 4evrfan:
As the preseason progresses, Crabtree's minimal "leverage' increases somewhat with several reviews that rightfully question our receivers' ability to create separation. There's no doubt we're deeper in talent than we've been in years, but that's not saying much. What is disturbing, and frankly I don't know if it's entirely accurate, and that's where my fellow 'Zoners can help me, is that some writers feel our current crop, incl morgan, aren't getting that all-important separation. and getting open is the name of the game, as well as YAC. If true, and I'm going to specifically watch for it in upcoming games, it would seem to boster CrabGreed's position and we certainly don't want that, do we? What say you?

Well it doesn't truly mean he has leverage because if you remember in college his speed was always questioned. To be honest Speed is overrated because Bruce can seperate with great route running but he needs to prove he can seperate from an NFL CB before we should anty up on his contract. So the way i see it is that they still do not have leverage. "Dont tell me, Show me"
Isaac Bruce not playing, the true #1, Brandon Jones, the #2 is injured. So after that you definately shake up Zeiglar, Battle, Hill, they all basically are true #4 receivers.
Bruce will have seperation, just bc of his route running. Any WR, NO MATTER HOW FAST YOU ARE, can create seperation!!! Its up to them to work at though!
Originally posted by 9erred:
Isaac Bruce not playing, the true #1, Brandon Jones, the #2 is injured. So after that you definately shake up Zeiglar, Battle, Hill, they all basically are true #4 receivers.

Isn't Morgan the #2 receiver?
right, sooooo a guy that is coming off a foot injury, who wasnt known for his speed, is also missing crucial coaching everyday he sits, and a rookie, is gonna come into the league and create separation against NFL CB's??
Originally posted by 49ersBest1:
Originally posted by 9erred:

Isn't Morgan the #2 receiver?

yes he is
Originally posted by Sinsation:
right, sooooo a guy that is coming off a foot injury, who wasnt known for his speed, is also missing crucial coaching everyday he sits, and a rookie, is gonna come into the league and create separation against NFL CB's??

If his injury is healed up, yes he will.
In college, He often got the ball tossed to him in double and sometimes triple coverage and he would come up with the play most every time.
Yeah, that was college, and he won't be able to beat NFL double coverage for a while ...
but with VD and Gore and Morgan/Bruce etc he won't be double covered in the NFL, and he will definitely be able to beat a majority of NFL CBs one on one.
Crabtree won't be playing...but Morgan does create seperation and so does Bruce...Battle not so much but Vernon Davis has been open ALOT this preseason and he's actually seeing the ball which looks positive. It'll improve even more once Jones is back from injury he was looking very good this year!
Also remember we played the 2 best CBs in the NFL our first two weeks of Preseason.

Interesting that with Davis throwing quickly and with the correct velocity and actually accurately as well, they seemed to be open. Hmmm, like magic....

Do any of the other QBs get the ball in on the short TD and 2-point conversion passes?
I sure hope to see more seperation & plays from our recievers in these next two games.
I think when Jones comes back, I think his speed will give the offense greater flexibility and put greater pressure on the defense to cover him than Battle or Hill. With the extra attention, Bruce and Morgan will have an easier time creating seperation.

Also, the fact that the team is in the preseason working with a new offense creates a learning curve. Morgan has never played in a digit offense before, just Martz' offense. As he gets more comfortable with it he will do better.
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
Originally posted by carlgo:
Interesting that with Davis throwing quickly and with the correct velocity and actually accurately as well, they seemed to be open. Hmmm, like magic....

Do any of the other QBs get the ball in on the short TD and 2-point conversion passes?

Did any of the other QBs play against third team scrubs?
  • dj43
Bruce will make a difference. Also, Raye, like most other teams, is not showing much of the passing schemes. Must wait until we get through these practice games.
Share 49ersWebzone