There are 95 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Offensive post-game analysis (week 2)

Originally posted by Ether:
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by bigwads:
That Alex's main issue is that he is cursed. He plays well and bad things happen. Davis drops a first down, Morgan lets a pass go off his facemask for an int...for some reason the football gods just don't like my boy Smith.

The football Gods don't like him because he throws his passes high and hard.

Yes, a professional is always "supposed" to make the catch, but it sure is nice when they instead get a nice catchable ball right on the numbers.

Hill doesn't seem to have the same problem with "the football Gods."

And therein lies you answer.

Hills arm is so weak that none of his passes are strong enough to be deflected off the receivers face. Morgan just isnt used to that type of Arm Strength. He will be by Week 1 though.

I am so glad to see all of our running backs doing well. i hope we can find a way to keep them all on the roster,
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by PopeyeJonesing:
Things learned:

1) While I'm high on Coffee and I think he'll definitely be an improvement over Foster, I think we learned that the Raiders scheming/run defense is atrocious more so than we learned that Coffee is a beast. Coffee, Robinson, and Sheets all looked almost unstoppable.

2) When Hill looks bad he looks absolutely atrocious. This is the worst outing from Hill I can remember, and a reminder that at best he'll be a transitional, game-managing QB for us until somebody else steps up or comes in.

3) Alex Smith is fully recovered from his shoulder injury. He's the best passer on the team and it's not even close. The problem is that he still can't read defenses, locks into one receiver, and is too mechanical going through his options.

4) Our hopes for our receiving corp being deep and much improved might be unfounded. We didn't get any separation today, and the passing game looked more like the "attack" of two years ago than last year.

5) After two weeks it's clear that Vernon is going to be a big part of the offense. 650 yards is a very reasonable expectation for him.

6) LG is still a big problem. Baas is still out and Wragge looked very over-matched.

Agreed. Although, the starting WRs didn't see much action so it's hard to tell. Add Crabtree to the mix and you have some talent there.
Didn't see the game yet...but MM said the OL was good...even down to the 3rd stringers. He had special praise for Cody Wallace (said it's the best he's seen him play), Snyder, Heitman, Wragge, Marvel Smith & Matt Spanos (played OG and C).

Obviously, Coffee was the star RB, but MRob and Sheets also had nice games.

Only WR to do much was Jason Hill in 4th qtr, had 3 catches.

Nate Davis outplayed his elder QB's...if he keeps playing like that, he just may beat out Huard.

TE's were ok...Walker the better between he and Vernon. Both Pascoe and Finley made some nice blocks in the run game.

Both Rentmeester and Brit Miller had some nice blocks from the FB position.
Sure hope our offense can get on the same page. I do think Hill will be named the starter & this passing game gets better before we get to Arizona!
Originally posted by Leathaface:
That Alex's main issue is that he is cursed. He plays well and bad things happen. Davis drops a first down, Morgan lets a pass go off his facemask for an int...for some reason the football gods just don't like my boy Smith.

Yes, a professional is always "supposed" to make the catch, but it sure is nice when they instead get a nice catchable ball right on the numbers.

Hills arm is so weak that none of his passes are strong enough to be deflected off the receivers face. Morgan just isnt used to that type of Arm Strength. He will be by Week 1 though.

That pass that Smith wasn't high at all...Morgan jumped into the air and the damn ball hit him in the freaking facemask...to say that that int was Smith's fault is totally stupid.
Originally posted by ColoradoNiner:
Originally posted by SFL49ER:
From an Alex Smith fan; I dont believe he is at all a good quarterback. I dont see any of his improvements that our coaches see. The coaches must not have too much expectations. I always wanted Smith to improve, but to me, he just doesnt have that it factor. He should after running for his life at the beginning of his career. I dont want Smith to ruin our season, please. I dont think he'll ever improve to be the "Greatness" we all 49er fans want so badly

This was a test of sorts for Smith.... How would he perform with the first team..... I saw nothing special.... His interception was high over the middle.... Certainly catchable but....... Bad stuff happens when you do that!

Im rooting for Alex too. But...he looks just the same as he always did. He holds the ball too long, never sees the "other" receivers, he pumps before he throws short passes, instead of a much needed accurate touch pass in traffic. He just doesnt look confident enough to make things happen. He looks really stiff and needs to get rid of that "windup" before he throws that short pass. That little move gives the defender the jump. His balls were reachable, but they need to be more catchable at a short distance. I was really hoping to see him throw something deep, but I dont think he sees the field well. Very tentative about going deep, when there really is no time to think it out. When he holds that ball as long as he does, the timing factor with a deep route is gone. Watch Kurt Warner, he does this very well. I was hoping for a lot more from A. Smith.
I know im gettin tired of hearing the alex smith throws too high. Every ball should of been caught yesterday just as the announcers said. That catch to bruce wasnt even that hard, it was a hill type wobbly throw, and he dropped it. That one to vernon went through his hands and he should of caught that one. That ball to Morgan should of been caught as well. He took his eyes off of it, and even he said should of just worried about the catch first then everything else.

What make a wide receiver is his hands, i watched brady, manning, ryan, flacco, and all three of these men throw behind, a little low, and a little high to receivers. Doesnt matter how often but as a receiver at least even when i played my coaches always say if you get your hands on the ball it should be caught. So please stop making all the damn excuses about too high. All the passes should of been caught. And even on the INT, espn, nfl network, and morgan himself said that ball should of been caught.

So yesterday although neither qb did great. With all that smith did, from the ellis tackle, then on the int tackle, then the dropped passes that werent his fault, he clearly won the competition yesterday.

Also in regards to hill, many may not like it, but the raiders shut down his short game, and once they did that he became ineffective. Say what you want but with hill going from last week, and this week, he needs to spread the field more and break out of that let me find the guy underneath constantly. If he does start the season i dont see any of our wr's breaking 1000 yds. Maybe davis because in hills mind it's find the te or underneath man first then spread the field later. And im not going off of last season. Im going off of the first two preseason games.
Originally posted by unst4bl3:
FIrst one on the nate davis, 49ers savior bandwagon.

not me. come on man that was against the 3rd string.
Originally posted by NinerGM:
WRs certainly didn't impress at all tonight. No separation and didn't get off the LOS well.

and dropping catchable balls.

That pass that Smith wasn't high at all...Morgan jumped into the air and the damn ball hit him in the freaking facemask...to say that that int was Smith's fault is totally stupid.

um sorry but it didnt hit him in the facemask. it went off his hands. it was a little high, but morgan should've caught that. very catchable ball, yet alittle high
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Didn't see the game yet...but MM said the OL was good...even down to the 3rd stringers. He had special praise for Cody Wallace (said it's the best he's seen him play), Snyder, Heitman, Wragge, Marvel Smith & Matt Spanos (played OG and C).

Obviously, Coffee was the star RB, but MRob and Sheets also had nice games.

Only WR to do much was Jason Hill in 4th qtr, had 3 catches.

Nate Davis outplayed his elder QB's...if he keeps playing like that, he just may beat out Huard.

TE's were ok...Walker the better between he and Vernon. Both Pascoe and Finley made some nice blocks in the run game.

Both Rentmeester and Brit Miller had some nice blocks from the FB position.

That's pretty accurate, IMO. The Oline and TEs looked great in the running game. They dominated Oakland for the entire game. Rachal, Heitmann, Staley and Snyder were outstanding in run blocking and pretty solid in protection on passing plays. Wragge was average, but much better than last week. I hope Baas comes back soon. Based on last night's game, our rushing attack could be special this year.

When Snyder left the game with his leg injury, there was an obvious void with Marvel Smith on the field. Smith's pass blocking was horrible. Several times, he barely even got his hands on the pass rusher. He looked fine run blocking, which is what he's known for anyway, but the loss of Snyder was definitely felt.

Nate Davis and Delanie Walker looked particularly good, but you have to consider that they did most of their damage against the 3rd team defense and some UDFAs. However, Davis showed very nice poise and arm strength. He looks like a nice developmental guy and should've assured himself a roster position. Delanie was clearly better than the rest of the guys on the field. He's starting material. Expect to see more 2-TE sets this year, with Vernon and Delanie.
  • B650
  • Veteran
The ball should've been caught. However, considering that it was in the middle of the field, Alex should share some of the blame. You have to keep the ball low there, because...

A)Less chance of a tipped ball.
B)Less chance of your WR getting injured.

The guy just looks like he's thinking too much; he's too mechanical. What do you expect when you're in charge of a new offense every single year? Most QBs start becoming stars in their 3rd year. A lot of that is because they start becoming comfortable with the offense, so there's less thinking involved and they become smoother and less mechanical. Well, Alex never had the luxury of sticking to one offense so he's constantly in "thinking mode." He seems clunky. You can see that he's not fully confident yet. I think he'll get there one day, it just might not be with this organization.
Originally posted by wailers15:
Originally posted by unst4bl3:
FIrst one on the nate davis, 49ers savior bandwagon.

not me. come on man that was against the 3rd string.

Ya, with third string lineman, third string running backs, and playing with third string receivers..
I'm not saying that he is anywhere close to starting material at this point, but our starters are NOT real starters man. If ALEX or SHAUN came in and played with the third stringers like NATE, there's no guarantee they would perform as well as NATE, they would still have the same problems, problems im not really seeing with NATE....NOODLE ARM, HOLDING THE BALL TOO LONG, and SLOW RELEASE.

NATE's arm strength wont slow down with 1st stringers, and his reads could be even quicker with better receivers.

Whatever im just sick of our 'QB competition', where clearly both guys are bad and are not going to lead this team to the playoffs.

I was watching the chargers last night, and BILLY VOLEK looked realllll sharp. I would take him over our starters any day.
[ Edited by DynastyChile on Aug 23, 2009 at 9:38 AM ]
Originally posted by wailers15:

um sorry but it didnt hit him in the facemask. it went off his hands. it was a little high, but morgan should've caught that. very catchable ball, yet alittle high

uh...yeah...it did...and regardless of whether it didn't or did the ball wasn't way high in the air.