There are 112 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Offensive post-game analysis (week 2)

Originally posted by modninerfan:
I thought Smith played better than the stats implied. I think he definitely played better than last week. He stood confident in the pocket, delivered on target for the most part and threw it away when he was supposed to.

the problem was the dropped balls from the WR/TE And the interception was completely on Morgan. The commentators gave him a hard time for throwing it high on that pass but if he threw it any lower the D-line would have batted it down.

But I still think the job belongs to Hill

Agreed, but it does look like Smith might be improving, he looked more confident this game. If the damn receivers would just catch the damn ball, lol.
Originally posted by bigwads:
That Alex's main issue is that he is cursed. He plays well and bad things happen. Davis drops a first down, Morgan lets a pass go off his facemask for an int...for some reason the football gods just don't like my boy Smith.

The football Gods don't like him because he throws his passes high and hard.

Yes, a professional is always "supposed" to make the catch, but it sure is nice when they instead get a nice catchable ball right on the numbers.

Hill doesn't seem to have the same problem with "the football Gods."
[ Edited by BrianGO on Aug 22, 2009 at 10:13 PM ]
  • fan49
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 2,167
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by bigwads:
That Alex's main issue is that he is cursed. He plays well and bad things happen. Davis drops a first down, Morgan lets a pass go off his facemask for an int...for some reason the football gods just don't like my boy Smith.

The football Gods don't like him because he throws his passes high and hard.

Yes, a professional is always "supposed" to make the catch, but it sure is nice when they instead get a nice catchable ball right on the numbers.

Hill doesn't seem to have the same problem with "the football Gods."

tonight he did
Originally posted by jogr49:
Originally posted by ColoradoNiner:
Keep Davis as our third.... Huard will be available if need be....

I'd keep Huard as backup to Hill and nate davis 3rd string. Let A. Smith go, he'll never develop in to an effective NFL QB.

Smith is not going anywhere at this point.... He didn't poorly enough and he still has more of an upside than Huard....

If we cut Smith someone would pick him up..... If we cut Huard.... Not so much.... Smith still has value at least until we find out if a fully healed Smith can improve....
Originally posted by ColoradoNiner:
Originally posted by jogr49:
Originally posted by ColoradoNiner:
Keep Davis as our third.... Huard will be available if need be....

I'd keep Huard as backup to Hill and nate davis 3rd string. Let A. Smith go, he'll never develop in to an effective NFL QB.

Smith is not going anywhere at this point.... He didn't poorly enough and he still has more of an upside than Huard....

If we cut Smith someone would pick him up..... If we cut Huard.... Not so much.... Smith still has value at least until we find out if a fully healed Smith can improve....

We might end up needing Smith to play if Hill keeps up what he did tonight, I was expecting better from him. Smith at least has the excuse of not having played in 18 months, tonight Hill looked just as bad, if not worse.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by ColoradoNiner:
Originally posted by jogr49:
Originally posted by ColoradoNiner:
Keep Davis as our third.... Huard will be available if need be....

I'd keep Huard as backup to Hill and nate davis 3rd string. Let A. Smith go, he'll never develop in to an effective NFL QB.

Smith is not going anywhere at this point.... He didn't poorly enough and he still has more of an upside than Huard....

If we cut Smith someone would pick him up..... If we cut Huard.... Not so much.... Smith still has value at least until we find out if a fully healed Smith can improve....

We might end up needing Smith to play if Hill keeps up what he did tonight, I was expecting better from him. Smith at least has the excuse of not having played in 18 months, tonight Hill looked just as bad, if not worse.

I'm over it.
[ Edited by verb1der on Aug 22, 2009 at 10:42 PM ]
It was a rare night when both Smith and Hill played poorly. I was hoping for improvement from both of them. I have always had hopes for Smith and still do, however, unless he starts lighting up the place I think that Hill should start and give Smith some more time to develope and completely learn the system.
Nate Davis looks like a very interesting prospect.
The 49ers spent the evening serving the Raiders...HOT COFFEE!!!
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
First, there will be no tooting of horns.

Second, playing well against a group of wounded sisters does not a good QB make.

Finally, there are 50 other "Nate Davis is the greatest QB of all time threads"

Lock up this tooter.

This coming from the same clown who said we shouldn't have drafted Coffee or Davis...and both are at least showing sings of potential.

In Singeltary I trust....
Originally posted by niner4life21:
Originally posted by SJniner7:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Hooray for the running game...


Smith int was on the Morgan,if you get your hands on it...catch the damn ball....

Neither QB looked like a starter...

O line looked great run blocking, pass blocking, not so much...

Run D played well...

Surprise, surprise, Roman blew a cover two assignment...

Guys and Gals, we might just have the deepest backfield in football with Gore, Coffee, Robinson and Sheets...

Bottom line, one of these QB's needs to step it up, Hill looked worse than Smith and he has been out of football for 18 months. We owe the win tonight to Coffee/Robinson/Sheets, tonight we won despite the passing game.

Lol, i thought our running attack was pretty sweet until Robinson started racking up yards. I then figured out that the Raiders run D is just horrible...

Lol. But i noticed that Robinson was finding and hitting the holes tonight really well. He usually didn't do that......That power 0 played just kept working and working and workin...

You may now worship at the temple of Tom Rathman RB coach. Remember the Niners galloped like this under Mariucci when Rathman was the RB coach before.
Originally posted by modninerfan:
I thought Smith played better than the stats implied. I think he definitely played better than last week. He stood confident in the pocket, delivered on target for the most part and threw it away when he was supposed to.

the problem was the dropped balls from the WR/TE And the interception was completely on Morgan. The commentators gave him a hard time for throwing it high on that pass but if he threw it any lower the D-line would have batted it down.

But I still think the job belongs to Hill

oh and how about the beat down Smith delivered on Ellis

i thought alex smith showed some definite improvement from last week in the area of pocket presence. i dont remember him stepping up to make a throw in quite some time. hopefully, our run offense is as good as it looks (even though we were just playing against the raiders) and let top and a good defense carry us through the season
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by niner4life21:
Originally posted by SJniner7:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Hooray for the running game...


Smith int was on the Morgan,if you get your hands on it...catch the damn ball....

Neither QB looked like a starter...

O line looked great run blocking, pass blocking, not so much...

Run D played well...

Surprise, surprise, Roman blew a cover two assignment...

Guys and Gals, we might just have the deepest backfield in football with Gore, Coffee, Robinson and Sheets...

Bottom line, one of these QB's needs to step it up, Hill looked worse than Smith and he has been out of football for 18 months. We owe the win tonight to Coffee/Robinson/Sheets, tonight we won despite the passing game.

Lol, i thought our running attack was pretty sweet until Robinson started racking up yards. I then figured out that the Raiders run D is just horrible...

Lol. But i noticed that Robinson was finding and hitting the holes tonight really well. He usually didn't do that......That power 0 played just kept working and working and workin...

You may now worship at the temple of Tom Rathman RB coach. Remember the Niners galloped like this under Mariucci when Rathman was the RB coach before.

I agree. Rathman was one of the best coaching pick ups that Singletary made.

He will finally solve Gore's fumblitis, just as Walsh fixed his.
Neither Hill of Smith distinguished themselves.

Round three begins next Saturday in Dallas.

This would be the biggest test yet.
[ Edited by fanmusclecars on Aug 23, 2009 at 12:18 AM ]
Originally posted by SJniner7:
Lol, i thought our running attack was pretty sweet until Robinson started racking up yards. I then figured out that the Raiders run D is just horrible...

lol i thought the same thing as well, then i realized that Robinson had the 2nd team line blocking for him.

-9fA
Originally posted by Ninerbowl6:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
First, there will be no tooting of horns.

Second, playing well against a group of wounded sisters does not a good QB make.

Finally, there are 50 other "Nate Davis is the greatest QB of all time threads"

Lock up this tooter.

This coming from the same clown who said we shouldn't have drafted Coffee or Davis...and both are at least showing sings of potential.

In Singeltary I trust....

Wow, did MD really say we shouldn't have drafted Coffee? I was happy when we got him, he is the kind of runner that we need to share the load with Gore. MD is usually pretty sensible though.