There are 138 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Does the Signing of Eric Green Mean Bye-Bye to Allan Rossum?

I sure hope so. I know Rossum's skills as a KR / PR have been debated here before but the bottom line is he is not the kind of explosive return man that teams need to hold onto. When the Niners decide to carry Rossum and list him as a KR / CB they are taking a roster spot from somebody else on the team considering Rossum never plays CB.

Keeping Rossum has ramifications across the whole team not just defense, meaning an extra receiver like D. Ziegler might have to be cut in order to keep him. MM has described the Niners using Rossum more as a CB this camp, and my feeling was they were giving him a chance to earn his spot by being viewed as a legitimate backup CB.

With the siging of Eric Green today I dont see how they can keep Rossum on the squad. There is no way Rossum adds enough value as a KR to make us part ways with Clements, Spencer, Bly, Green, T.Brown or M.Hudson.

I think we will see Rossum stick until the season begins in case of injury, but hopefully we will also see the Niners find Rossums replacement over the next few games and allow who ever returns kicks to contribute somewhere esle as well.
[ Edited by TonyMantana on Aug 20, 2009 at 5:19 PM ]
Um, no
NO!!!!!!

Not happening, Rossum is too valuable in the return game to kick to the curb, we'd be stupid to do it IMO, the field position is key, and im not sold on Zeigler or Sheets or any one else who isnt as expericned as Rossum is.
So you two think the 49ers have the luxury on their roster to carry a player who only contributes on special teams. They already have a K, Punter and long snapper
A very easy and obvious NO!
Originally posted by fzrdave:
A very easy and obvious NO!
[ Edited by WheresWaldo on Aug 20, 2009 at 5:22 PM ]
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
NO!!!!!!

Not happening, Rossum is too valuable in the return game to kick to the curb, we'd be stupid to do it IMO, the field position is key, and im not sold on Zeigler or Sheets or any one else who isnt as expericned as Rossum is.

I think Battle or Clements on PR and D. Walker and J.Hill on KR. all of these players also contibute somewhere else as a member of the squad
Originally posted by TonyMantana:
So you two think the 49ers have the luxury on their roster to carry a player who only contributes on special teams. They already have a K, Punter and long snapper

well if we keep Sheets he is only gonna what return kicks, he wont play in at RB with Gore, Coffee and Robinson ahead of him.

and Zeigler, same, he wouldnt play ahead of Bruce, Morgan, Jones(when healthy), Battle and Spurlock.

So yeah, we need to keep the 4 ST'ers that we have.
NO!!!!!!

I think Battle or Clements on PR and D. Walker and J.Hill on KR. all of these players also contibute somewhere else as a member of the squad

What has Jason Hill done to deserve a roster spot? He is being outperformed by Michael Spurlock!
NO!!!!!!

i wouldnt guarantee Hill a spot on the team yet.

well if we keep Sheets he is only gonna what return kicks, he wont play in at RB with Gore, Coffee and Robinson ahead of him.

and Zeigler, same, he wouldnt play ahead of Bruce, Morgan, Jones(when healthy), Battle and Spurlock.

Who said anything about Sheets or Ziegler?? I said keeping 7 DBs means we cant keep 6 WRs

but if Spurlock makes the team does that mean Rossum makes the team as well?
[ Edited by WheresWaldo on Aug 20, 2009 at 5:25 PM ]
If battle walker or who ever were able to return anything then we wouldn't have added Rossum to the squad.
Originally posted by WheresWaldo:
NO!!!!!!

What has Jason Hill done to deserve a roster spot? He is being outperformed by Michael Spurlock!

That is my point...keeping Rossum would not allow us to keep Spurlock...I had forgotten about him and I would much rather have him as our 6th WR / KR than Rossum.

Who said anything about Sheets or Ziegler?? I said keeping 7 DBs means we cant keep 6 WRs

my bad bro, i misread thought you meant keeping them over rossum.

i dont think keeping 7 CB's means we cant have 6 WR's, not impossible at all.