There are 164 users in the forums

Aaahh, I see what Sing is doing....

Shop Find 49ers gear online
....It's pretty obvious to me, and I'm sure to many of you here that Sing is trying to improve our pass rush through coverage sacks. It's just my opinion based on the extra depth in the secondary. After he signed Green, I was racking my brain, trying to figure out why? If there are no pass rushers available in the FA, why not try a different approach? Not saying that Sing is not trying to improve the so called pass rushers we have, but this may work for the time being until we're able to capitalize on next year's very strong draft.

I think he's putting his finger in the dike until next draft.

What do you guys think? Can it work? Will it help?

• rum53
  • Veteran
I don't think a defense can be successful relying on coverage sacks. A defense can only cover for so long before a receiver finds an opening. An average NFL QB should be able to find an open receiver given enough time.
Well, pass rush or no pass rush we're still getting plenty of turnovers.
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
Seems like a long time to put his finger in a dike...
we signed Eric Green because he is a quality Cb. this guy was a starter a yr ago, and yes even tho he wasnt doing great in Miami, he WAS competing for the 2nd Cb spot. He is,at the very least, a nickel corner and will be an asset to have on the field. Who knows if spencer can play injury free and i'm not sold on brown or hudson. Quality depth is important too.
Originally posted by ObePwnD:
....It's pretty obvious to me, and I'm sure to many of you here that Sing is trying to improve our pass rush through coverage sacks. It's just my opinion based on the extra depth in the secondary. After he signed Green, I was racking my brain, trying to figure out why? If there are no pass rushers available in the FA, why not try a different approach? Not saying that Sing is not trying to improve the so called pass rushers we have, but this may work for the time being until we're able to capitalize on next year's very strong draft.

There are a lot dikes that could use his finger up in San Francisco. And I am talking about holes on the team to plug until next year. lol
[ Edited by saj4423 on Aug 20, 2009 at 10:21 AM ]
With depth and talent at DB we can blitz LBs more often, putting more pressure on Qbs and getting more sacks. How about that for positive thinking!
Originally posted by 23zack80:

It's early to say, but if our pass rush doesn't materialize, what are we suppose to do, get picked apart or try to fix a foreseeable problem?

The word seems to be he's done, so this appears to be a shot in the dark. We'll have to wait and see.
Originally posted by saj4423:

There are a lot dikes that could use his finger up in San Francisco. And I am talking about holes on the team to plug until next year. lol

Right now the lack of pass rushing is the biggest concern, do you not agree?

• DVDA
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 23zack80:

It's early to say, but if our pass rush doesn't materialize, what are we suppose to do, get picked apart or try to fix a foreseeable problem?

I'm just saying it's hard enough for a guy to get a finger in a dike, and you want him to keep it in there for a whole year.
I think a lot of people forget that during the preseason it is very common not to show your blitz packages!

If you show them during the preseason you give your regular season opponents the upper hand early. This is one of the reason Nolan is an idiot, throwing all of his blitz packages at us in the first game is only going to hurt them in the regular season.
Oh, his plan will work PERFECT against Tom Brady or Manning.

You read my mind. This is a heated topic for me b/c this school of thought comes from Mike Nolan where he preached that one of the advantages of the 3-4 is that it's cheaper. Then, he goes out and spends a gazillion dollars on our secondary with Michael Lewis, Nate Clements & Mark Roman...Harris was pretty cheap; but he then completely ignores the front 7 save for Smith. The problem is, and remember, Nolan used to be a d-back coach, is that this is the complete BACKWARDS way of building a 3-4 and does NOT work (like I need to tell you that). To build a true 3-4, you start with a dominant NT, the work from the inside out and focus on the the pass rushing OLB's and the two DE's that free them up. Once you have a dominant and attacking 3-4, you can focus on the secondary more by adding a key FA or develop some youngsters. But the bottom line is, you can't manufacture coverage sacks and be successful. Haralson and the d-line did benefit from more coverage sacks then what they generated for themselves though but none truly affected a game one way or another. Everybody (save for our management) knows a dominant front 7 allows an average secondary to play aggressively and grow and develop. It doesn't work the other way around!

this is a good and valid point of view. i agree that picking up another cb would probably help with coverage sacks. but what would help with getting more sacks and interceptions is getting a person in that can actually get SACKS! if we got a pass rusher i believe that interceptions would definately be up not only by our secondary but also our linebackers. pressure from the front puts more strain on the qb's ability to make a correct throw. having more coverage just puts more pressure on a qb to throw a pass that he usually doesn't make! i dunno about you but i would have rather have help from the D-Line
Share 49ersWebzone