LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 301 users in the forums

49ers Drafting

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I know it was the last coaching staff but how much time should be given to these guys being drafted(Smith, Davis, Lawson, Balmer, M. Robinson etc) that really only being drafted so high because they are super athletes but not so great football players. Everyone knows these guys were stars in college because of the athletic abilities not so much for being great football players. My question to you guys is how long do these guys get to transition to be great NFL players.? These guys were raw college players and got at least a year but deserve more. Especially with the coching staff changing so frequently.
The one thing the front office is doing well is signing their good players early to contract extensions. If the player has played well or shows very good promise, then they need to get an early contract extension. If not, then they need to let the player play out his contract and either let him go or re-sign him to a contract commensurate with his talent. So players like David Baas need to step it up or the 9ers should be prepared to just let them go and be mediocre for someone else.
Originally posted by fzrdave:
The one thing the front office is doing well is signing their good players early to contract extensions. If the player has played well or shows very good promise, then they need to get an early contract extension. If not, then they need to let the player play out his contract and either let him go or re-sign him to a contract commensurate with his talent. So players like David Baas need to step it up or the 9ers should be prepared to just let them go and be mediocre for someone else.

Mediocre = Mark Roman & Barry Sims....so why are they still here?
  • dugo
  • Veteran
I've been asking that same question......
Smith is returning from 2 years of being out of the game due to injury. Davis so far looks like he might have a break out RECEIVING year, he is already one of the best blocking TE in the league if not the best. Lawson hasn't really been utilized as a pass rusher but damn he can cover and play the run. Balmer???? Not sure yet
Originally posted by BigMar:

Every team has mediocre players on the roster. No one has a roster of above average players only. The fact that Roman is no longer starting is a good thing, but the fact that he's still on the roster is, in my opinion, also a good thing. Now, Sims is a different story altogether. As Roman is a veteran who can still contribute if called upon, Sims was just flat out horrible last year. I highly doubt that he makes the final roster this year. I'm not saying that Roman is great, and he may not make the team either, but there's a place for the savvy vet on most teams. He won't get you interceptions, but he usually keeps the play in front of him, and knows the defense and where he's supposed to be at all times. There's something to be said for that. Just my opinion.

They're at the very bottom of the depth chart AND their days are likely numbered.
My question to you guys is how long do these guys get to transition to be great NFL players?
Watching great coaches like Walsh, Madden, Landry, Shula, and many other coaches over the last 40+ years the trend is to give a 1-4 draft choice 3 some times 4 years to prove themselves. A player who was a QB, DL, WR or CB and drafted 1st or 2nd always gets 3 years and even a 4th if the coach felt like he had shown a lot of improvement or missed an entire season due to injury. On rare occasions I have seen these same coaches cut a guy during his 3rd training camp. I believe Drunkenmiller was traded after his second year, James Owens (first payer Walsh evere drafted) was cut after just 2 seasons. Expect Balmer to get another 2 years before they decide what they are going to do with him.

Neither Roman nor Sims were drafted by the 9ers. Both were free agent pickups to fill in positions of need in a stop gap type of way.

Originally posted by 9erlover:
Every team has mediocre players on the roster. No one has a roster of above average players only. The fact that Roman is no longer starting is a good thing, but the fact that he's still on the roster is, in my opinion, also a good thing. Now, Sims is a different story altogether. As Roman is a veteran who can still contribute if called upon, Sims was just flat out horrible last year. I highly doubt that he makes the final roster this year. I'm not saying that Roman is great, and he may not make the team either, but there's a place for the savvy vet on most teams. He won't get you interceptions, but he usually keeps the play in front of him, and knows the defense and where he's supposed to be at all times. There's something to be said for that. Just my opinion.

Well said!
[ Edited by fzrdave on Aug 22, 2009 at 12:14 PM ]

Frank Gore, Patrick Willis, Joe Staley, Chilo Racel, David Baas, Glen Coffee (early but so what), Josh Morgan, Deshun Goldston, Adam Snyder, Paryls Harlson

this team has drafted alot of starters and a few stars...several up and comers and I beleive have done a nice job of building via the draft...this year this group will lead us to the playoffs...next year Scotty can really prove his draft wortyness with 2 1st rounders.
Originally posted by matt49er:
Frank Gore, Patrick Willis, Joe Staley, Chilo Racel, David Baas, Glen Coffee (early but so what), Josh Morgan, Deshun Goldston, Adam Snyder, Paryls Harlson

this team has drafted alot of starters and a few stars...several up and comers and I beleive have done a nice job of building via the draft...this year this group will lead us to the playoffs...next year Scotty can really prove his draft wortyness with 2 1st rounders.

The only thing that worries me about that is he hits more in later rounds then he does in the 1st

if adam snyder is starting, every single player starting on offense aside from hill and bruce will be players we drafted...

on defense, willis, sopoaga, haralyson, lawson, goldson, and possibly balmer are all drafted starters defensively...thats nearly if not half the defense..

stop complaining..

on the note of drafting Coffee he's averaging almost 100 yards a game vs starting defenses, thats not some garbage time clayton pre season yardage....we may have landed 2 phenom running backs in the 3rd round within 4 years...thats not easy to do..
Originally posted by redmanc07:

The only thing that worries me about that is he hits more in later rounds then he does in the 1st

Those teams that are great in the NFL are the ones that do a good to great job of drafting in the later rounds. My hat is off to McCloughlan for his ability to find a Morgan, Harlason, Walker, Hudson, Brown and Goldson all in the 4thround or later.

With regards to our 1st round picks verdict is not in on VD. In Martz offense he only had the ball thrown to him 32 times last year. Under Hostetler, well let’s just say I wouldn’t let him be my OC while playing Madden. Raye has spent time with him on his catching and he is doing much better and he knows he is going to get the ball so I suspect he is concentrating a little more vs Martz who lied to him and us by saying VD was going to get lots of passes. Lawson essentially missed an entire season and was at 85-90% last year. Staley and Willis are studs and have been worthy off a 1st round pick. Smith is a bust and will end up playing for someone else and be a perennial 2nd stringer, Balmer I will wait my customary 3 full seasons to pass judgement. Crabtree will eventually sign and in year 3 begin playing like a 1st round pick. He will be totally useless this year and essentially a rookie in year 2 of his contract.

I don’t normally get caught up in rookie hype but McCloughlan 2009 draft might be his best one yet especially FA pick ups Sheets and Boone. Even with out Crabtree Coffee is getting better every day, McKillop, Davis, Pascoe, Taylor, RJF, Sheets, Boone. If this class works out we have solidified WR, RB, TE, LB support for years to come. Who knows Davis may end up becoming our future QB. Lets not forget we also secured an additional 1st round pick in a draft that everyone is saying will be far better then the 2009 draft.

For once we will have problems keeping quality players. We now have guys that other teams want. With N. Davis performance tonight no way he gets through waivers and on to a practice squad. Any WR, TE, RB we cut will get picked up by someone. I don’t see Boone making it through waivers he is showing great self discipline and that he is over coming his personal issues. I am glad that I will not have to decide which final 3-5 guys makes it or get cut.
The problem, I believe, was Nolan's poor development of players. The ready-made stars like Gore were fine, but many players need working on and it would appear that this just did not happen.

This may be better now, although it is a little early to be sure. Next summer I would expect to see the start of a winnowing if any or all of them don't respond. Personally I think they will
Share 49ersWebzone