There are 467 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Are the 49ers Running the Correct Defensive Scheme to Fit This Team?

Are the 49ers Running the Correct Defensive Scheme to Fit This Team?

We were running the scheme without Willis. So that has to be understood.

We blitzed 9 times in 30 Broncos passes. Sing WILL NOT show our blitz packages in preseason.
Member Milestone: This is post number 1,600 for JeuSF49.
4-3 needs quick DEs. We do not have such players.
we are more suited for the 3-4
We have not added anybody that can rush the passer so probably not. Why run a 3-4 when you have no edge rushers? I'm not trying to be negative, but I don't see how our pass-rush can just magically improve. We didn't even draft an edge rusher for crying out loud!
they were playing too soft of coverage. bend dont break. huge cushsions for receivers. i think they may just be trying different things to see how it all looks. this may not be how they play in the season
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
nope. 3-4 NEEDS a huge, dominant NT.
The 4-3 needs the line to get the sacks and to get the pressure. Who do we have that fits that mold on the line. Smith mabey. Other than that it would be the same outcome. We lose a linebacker for a d-line man. I'm not seeing what we gain.
  • kem99
  • Veteran
Originally posted by PTulini:
I know it was only preseason game 1, but yet again, we see a lack of pass rush by our defense and our defensive line looked as if it was getting swallowed up! This got me thinking... Are the 49ers running the correct scheme to fit this team? In my opinion, I think we should be using a 4-3 scheme.

What do you think?

Well, last year after Nolan got fired, Manusky and Singletary scrapped Nolan's hybrid 4-3/3-4 and went to more of a true 3-4, though having to do it on the fly in the middle of the season. Over the last half of the season, the defense improved from the mid-20's to 13th overall by playing a much more conventional 3-4. Not saying the personnel is perfectly suited for the 3-4 or that the pass rush won't be an issue as the season progresses but the last 8 or so games from last year is the best evidence we have that they can make the 3-4 work, especially with having a full offseason to install the full 3-4 scheme and not have to do it in the middle of the season. The last 8 games of last year are a better gauge at this point than the 1st preseason game.
The defense looked fine down the stretch last year. I don't think we have the front 7 to be dominant in either scheme, but unlike in previous years during the Nolan regime we should be fine running the 3-4.
I say its way, way too early, for me, to say. We didn't improve 10 slots last year by magic....the players were better once Greg had full control of the D.
[ Edited by 9erluv415 on Aug 18, 2009 at 11:01 AM ]
  • Nabisko
  • Info N/A
I don't want to see a damn thing till week one. Nothing NADA!! Week one is crucial and any tool we can use we should. The greatest tool that we don't have to draft or coach is the ELEMENT OF SURPRISE. Vanilla-Vanilla-Vanilla! PRESEASON-PRESEASON- PRESEASON. I am much more concerned with our QB situation. Our defense finished solid last year and showed consistent improvement.

Trust in Sing on our defensive scheme. Our offense is the fear factor this year!
[ Edited by Nabisko on Aug 18, 2009 at 11:29 AM ]
Originally posted by JeuSF49:
4-3 needs quick DEs. We do not have such players.
we are more suited for the 3-4

didnt manny play 4-3 DE in school? and harelson?
No coach that has any clue is going to unleash the heat in preseason....
Originally posted by zozell:
Jed: "Does anybody have any questions for Coach Singletary?"

Willis: "Yea I got a question... What do you think about the 4-3 scheme?"

Singletary: "4-3??? What do YOU think?"

Willis: "I think it's a peice of s**t"

Jed: "Willis!"

Willis: "What I mean to say is we've all been having problems with the 4-3 right?"
defense agrees
"I just want to see what our Head Coach here plans to do about it"

Singletary: "Well alright..uhh Well Willis is it?? Willis?! What do YOU think we should do about it WILLIS!?"

Willis: "I think we should scrap it"

Singletary: "How many people think we should scrap the 4-3?"
all the defense raises their hands
"There it is. Scrapped! You know why? Cuz you want it scrapped. 4-3 It's outta there. No More. GONE! You want 31 flavors??? Baskin Robbins is where ya wanna be. Be cool!"

Spikes: "Coach!" raises hand

Singletary: "What is it!" points at Spikes

Spikes: "I'd like to work with the 3-4"

Willis: "Yea the 3-4 is good"

Singletary: "3-4 it is!"
defense applause

Manusky: "What the heck is he doing? We only have personnel for the 4-3?"

Jed: "He's shaking things up. Maybe that's exactly what we need!"
Originally posted by Num1player16:
Originally posted by zozell:
Jed: "Does anybody have any questions for Coach Singletary?"

Willis: "Yea I got a question... What do you think about the 4-3 scheme?"

Singletary: "4-3??? What do YOU think?"

Willis: "I think it's a peice of s**t"

Jed: "Willis!"

Willis: "What I mean to say is we've all been having problems with the 4-3 right?"
defense agrees
"I just want to see what our Head Coach here plans to do about it"

Singletary: "Well alright..uhh Well Willis is it?? Willis?! What do YOU think we should do about it WILLIS!?"

Willis: "I think we should scrap it"

Singletary: "How many people think we should scrap the 4-3?"
all the defense raises their hands
"There it is. Scrapped! You know why? Cuz you want it scrapped. 4-3 It's outta there. No More. GONE! You want 31 flavors??? Baskin Robbins is where ya wanna be. Be cool!"

Spikes: "Coach!" raises hand

Singletary: "What is it!" points at Spikes

Spikes: "I'd like to work with the 3-4"

Willis: "Yea the 3-4 is good"

Singletary: "3-4 it is!"
defense applause

Manusky: "What the heck is he doing? We only have personnel for the 4-3?"

Jed: "He's shaking things up. Maybe that's exactly what we need!"

You guys are lame.....Thats from Blue Streak.

LOL's good stuff

Thank you! Jeez man don't u guys watch movies? Maybe you aren't Martin Lawrence fans... but this is one of my favorite movies of his and I felt that this dialogue was befitting of this poll. At least SOMEONE got it...
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
nope. 3-4 NEEDS a huge, dominant NT.

+1, and the 9ers don't have one.