There are 52 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Good News = Adam Synder @ RT

Originally posted by Sactown49er:
In theory I agree, but I think it is more likely that UDFA Boone will easily be safe on our practice squad. Sims is certainly not a starter anymore, but with Marvel still a ?, I would still rather have Sims for when a dire emergency comes.

The only "dire emergency" that Sims is helpful with, is if the OTHER team is having problems getting to our QB.

Sims brings nothing to us. Is Boone any better? I don't know. But we know what we have in Sims, and it sucks. I don't understand why people want to keep around veterans that can't perform on the field just because they "know the game". (See also: Mark Roman). If you know "what" to do, but aren't capable of doing it, then what good are you?

I know "how" to drive a car, and a bit abour racing them - but you don't see me out there driving for Nascar!
Originally posted by RDB4216:
In theory I agree, but I think it is more likely that UDFA Boone will easily be safe on our practice squad. Sims is certainly not a starter anymore, but with Marvel still a ?, I would still rather have Sims for when a dire emergency comes.

The only "dire emergency" that Sims is helpful with, is if the OTHER team is having problems getting to our QB.

Sims brings nothing to us. Is Boone any better? I don't know. But we know what we have in Sims, and it sucks. I don't understand why people want to keep around veterans that can't perform on the field just because they "know the game". (See also: Mark Roman). If you know "what" to do, but aren't capable of doing it, then what good are you?

I know "how" to drive a car, and a bit abour racing them - but you don't see me out there driving for Nascar!

whoops....there it is!
Originally posted by BigMar:
With the apparent news that big, young, strong, healthy Adam Synder may indeed be earning that starting RT position over Marvel Smith I was wondering if that changes the 9ers thinking mode now.

If Marvel Smith becomes the primary back-up at both left and right tackle does that open the door more for Alex Boone to make our 53 man roster vs washed up Barry Sims?

I'd rather keep the younger, bigger, stronger Boone with upside on our roster versus the over the hill Sims.

Marvel Smith would be the perfect back-up to Staley & Synder and as the season goes on his back would be getting better & better, in the event he ever needed to step in due to injury or poor play.

Marvel Smith IS the perfect back up, but we'll need two.

Boone has lots of potential, but he just isn't ready and should be safe to stash on the practice squad.

Sims played left tackle against Denver and MM said he did ok. If he can be serviceable at both Left and Right Tackle he will be too valuable to let go.
Originally posted by Giants9ersfan:
Younger, bigger, stronger...you said this twice...are you trying to sell something?

If Sims was as worthless as you make out, he wouldn't have been brought back at all and they would have given somebody else that time at LT in the Denver game.

Like it or not Sims will likely be our emergency OT again this year. That may be crazy talk, but that is the way it looks right now.
Originally posted by SanFranAddic:

If Sims was as worthless as you make out, he wouldn't have been brought back at all and they would have given somebody else that time at LT in the Denver game.

Like it or not Sims will likely be our emergency OT again this year. That may be crazy talk, but that is the way it looks right now.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo

haha...well, we can hold out hope that somebody better becomes available when final roster cuts are made around the league.

haha...well, we can hold out hope that somebody better becomes available when final roster cuts are made around the league.

Anyone!!!
I have to say he did pretty good. His weakness is still the speed rushers, but he didn't do bad at all against them!!! Good sign. Marvel just toyed with those 2nd and 3rd stringers, so it will be an interesting battle at RT....which is a good thing!!!
Originally posted by 9erluv415:
I have to say he did pretty good. His weakness is still the speed rushers, but he didn't do bad at all against them!!! Good sign. Marvel just toyed with those 2nd and 3rd stringers, so it will be an interesting battle at RT....which is a good thing!!!

toyed with them?

on some snaps Marvel did not look good at all.
Originally posted by Norcal9erfan:
Originally posted by Giants9ersfan:
Younger, bigger, stronger...you said this twice...are you trying to sell something?

Snyder is looking really good and the same goes for Chilo Rachal? That right side was blowing open some massive holes for Glen Coffee. I could have waltzed in there and gotten a few yards myself. What I don't get is why did we even sign Marvel Smith if he's not going to be the starter? Well you can say it's good overall since we better quality depth at that position thatn we did last season. This is what boggles my mind though. Considering that the 49ers had so many problems with Barry Sims at right tackle last year, why in the world didn't they start Snyder over at Right tackle? I think that would have helped us a lot last year. But it's ok last year is last year and we're moving forward. The Oline is looking pretty good so far.
Originally posted by BasharCali49:
Snyder is looking really good and the same goes for Chilo Rachal? That right side was blowing open some massive holes for Glen Coffee. I could have waltzed in there and gotten a few yards myself. What I don't get is why did we even sign Marvel Smith if he's not going to be the starter? Well you can say it's good overall since we better quality depth at that position thatn we did last season. This is what boggles my mind though. Considering that the 49ers had so many problems with Barry Sims at right tackle last year, why in the world didn't they start Snyder over at Right tackle? I think that would have helped us a lot last year. But it's ok last year is last year and we're moving forward. The Oline is looking pretty good so far.

Next 3 pre-season games clearly will tell us where our O-Line personal is. I really hope Alex Boone shows enough to take Barry Sims roster spot, please!!!!!

Next 3 pre-season games clearly will tell us where our O-Line personal is. I really hope Alex Boone shows enough to take Barry Sims roster spot, please!!!!!

+1, and I hope Boone develops too.
Originally posted by fzrdave:

+1, and I hope Boone develops too.

I would not be surprised if the youngster Boone can play as well as the over the hill Sims right now. We gotta keep Boone due to his hugh upside, period!