LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 263 users in the forums

Is the Michael Robinson experiment officially over?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Ah the age old argument that talented players never understand and fans that fall in love with talent never get either. If talent alone was the reason teams won then Dallas and the Raiders would be in the Super Bowl just about every year. And where has San Diego been lately.
Besides being a great special teams player and a solid back up at two positions(yea not a Pro Bowl player at either) Robinson is a leader. Now some of you don't seem to get that. Teams need solid leaders. I remember that Nolan said that before we drafted MRob, that at the combine all of the other players gravitated to him because of his natural leadership aura.
There will come a time when his skills erode or someone else steps up to assume his role on special teams and his leadership role but I don't believe that time has come.
Oh, and special teams, as Maddog said, is part of the team not an afterthought like some of you believe.
With the physicality of the run game this year we will need him for sure. The chances of guys getting banged up will be much higher then last year, considering he can play both HB and FB not to mention special teams his job is safe at the moment. Now if GC really shines this year and shows he is a valuable #2 (something MRob hasn't secured) then he (MRob) will be in trouble next year.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
He's needed. With Keasey out, we are down to Norris and a rookie FB who played LB last season.

Plus, special teams is never overrated.

He's not going anywhere.

This
After watching his performance last night both running and blocking, he isn't going anywhere.
With 89 yards that is pretty good for part time work. IT looks like he might be figuring out how to run, as well as pass, catch, and block.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TheG0RE49er:
Originally posted by E-49er:
He's needed. With Keasey out, we are down to Norris and a rookie FB who played LB last season.

He's not going anywhere.

I don't know Maddog if he is as needed as you say. True he is a good special teamer but he needs to add more value than that. He is not a true FB and the team would be better served to pickup a rookie FA fullback to take Keaseys spot rather than keep Robinson on the roster.

yes, a rookie FB should improve that position

We already did that for the rest of the pre-season. We signed Bill Rentmeester to take Clayton/Keasey's roster spot at FB.

Michael Robinson is the new Terry Jackson. Solid special teams player, and average offensive player. The great thing about Robinson is that he can slowly develop into a better player due to his age.
I'll say this, I'd rather have Kory Sheets than Michael Robinson.
Originally posted by waiting4number6:

Because Kory Sheets blocking puts Robinson's to shame!!!
Originally posted by HaiGuise:
Originally posted by waiting4number6:

Because Kory Sheets blocking puts Robinson's to shame!!!

Really because Sheets is just a better running back, and is one quick dude, with much better running skills. He would go great with the hard nosed running of Gore and Gore Jr. (Glen Coffee).
Well I hope we keep Robinson and Sheets! I dont wanna see Sheets turn into Clayton...

I say keep both Mrob and Sheets and go from there.
Originally posted by Thizz415:
Robinson is our special teams ace and he is a serviceable RB/FB that when called upon doesn't do bad. He should remain on the team.

I agree Mrob is a good player and should remain on the roster
Originally posted by Giant9er:

He's not going anywhere.

This

Gore, Coffee, Sheets, Mrob, Norris

that seems like a lot of roster spots.
the lovefest for Sheets is outrageous.

He is pure practice squad at this point. Your third running back has to be able to contribute more to the club than just being able to run the ball, and as of now Sheets can't do that. He might be able to contribute in the future after some more seasoning, but right now he is a one-dimensional player, and it's not even as good as people here think.

Mrob is so underrated at this point it is criminal. People need to remember other teams were interested in drafting him to play receiver, that's how good he can be as a pass catcher. Its took him awhile but he has managed to develop his running skills to go along with it t, couple that with his ability to block in the running game and the passing game and you got a complete back.

Not great at any one thing, but solid at everything. And then you couple his ability to run the taser, contribute in trick plays, his versatility saves roster spots because he can do so many things.
Originally posted by TheGoldStandard:
the lovefest for Sheets is outrageous.

He is pure practice squad at this point. Your third running back has to be able to contribute more to the club than just being able to run the ball, and as of now Sheets can't do that. He might be able to contribute in the future after some more seasoning, but right now he is a one-dimensional player, and it's not even as good as people here think.

Mrob is so underrated at this point it is criminal. People need to remember other teams were interested in drafting him to play receiver, that's how good he can be as a pass catcher. Its took him awhile but he has managed to develop his running skills to go along with it t, couple that with his ability to block in the running game and the passing game and you got a complete back.

Not great at any one thing, but solid at everything. And then you couple his ability to run the taser, contribute in trick plays, his versatility saves roster spots because he can do so many things.

Couldn't agree more. I think that some have forgotten here that he was a running back and pass catcher at Penn State before he was the quarterback. He was converted to QB because they didn't have one and he was athletic enough to be converted. MRob that is. I think some see him as a failed conversion from QB.
[ Edited by Born49R on Aug 23, 2009 at 5:15 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone