LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 313 users in the forums

Is the Michael Robinson experiment officially over?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
we cant get a poll up in this piece? I will vote to keep him. He is the Captain of our special teams, our GL and 4th and Inch convertrer. And versatile. We dont have any big backs on this team, so we need him.
Originally posted by Thizz415:
Originally posted by E-49er:
Originally posted by Thizz415:
Originally posted by E-49er:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
He's needed. With Keasey out, we are down to Norris and a rookie FB who played LB last season.

Plus, special teams is never overrated.

He's not going anywhere.

I don't know Maddog if he is as needed as you say. True he is a good special teamer but he needs to add more value than that. He is not a true FB and the team would be better served to pickup a rookie FA fullback to take Keaseys spot rather than keep Robinson on the roster.

He picks up the blitz well when put in. He is a good receiver out of the backfield and can get some tough yards also.

The only thing you mentioned I will give Mrob credit for is picking up the blitz. Mrob's running ability is nothing special. Coffee can pick up the tough yards just as well and is more explosive through the hole than Mrob.Mrob is a good receiver out of the backfield but I think Sheets and/or Coffee can catch the ball decently too. If coffee shows the ability to pickup the blitz and pass block and the coach's are confident he can do it, MRob's services would no longer be needed.

Then we should wait until they prove it if they could. No need to get rid of a player that contributes. Now if he didn't contribute then ok but until someone proves they can do his other duties he should stay on the team.

Thats why we have the preaseason to see if they can do those things. If Mrob gets cut it will be the last cut.Im not saying to cut him today.I just don't think he does enough things well enough to stick around.Its the same thing with Keith Lewis. He was a great special teamer but he didn't do enough things to stick around.As for the wildcat, Spurlock or Battle can run it.
  • Chief
  • Veteran
Cut him.
He's needed. With Keasey out, we are down to Norris and a rookie FB who played LB last season.

He's not going anywhere.

Agreed. He still has a role on this team because of his versatility.
He's versatile and he's a very good special teams player, so I see him staying for now. However, I wouldn't get to overly confident if I were him.
I'll never understand why people on this board dislike MRob so much. He's a captain on this team and one of the better special teams players in the league. Shouldn't fans appreciate the captains of the team they love?
If we cut him he would get picked up in a heartbeat by any number of teams in contention for the playoffs--and then all these people whining about how much he sucks will start whining about how McCloughan cut a Pro Bowler.

Originally posted by HessianDud:
I'll never understand why people on this board dislike MRob so much. He's a captain on this team and one of the better special teams players in the league. Shouldn't fans appreciate the captains of the team they love?
If we cut him he would get picked up in a heartbeat by any number of teams in contention for the playoffs--and then all these people whining about how much he sucks will start whining about how McCloughan cut a Pro Bowler.

cmon dude. A probowler? I am speaking for myself, but I am not a Mrob hater. I just think he is only average at alot of things with the exception of Special Teams and Blitz pickup. He is very good in those two areas. I just think a traditional fullback would better serve the team since Sing wants to run the ball and if Norris goes down or has to miss a game because of another personal issue who lead blocks Mrob? A TE playing out of position? Mrob is a good fit for a team that can afford the luxury of carrying an extra guy. IMO the Niners don't have that luxury. In the end he may remain with the team but if they find a true FB that can pass protect and lead block who is a free agent. It could be tough for Mrob to stick.
i really like mrob, but i think this could be a VERY close call.
here is what mrob has done for us in the past

SHORT YARDAGE::
never performed that well in this area, and with the addition of coffee it appears he is no longer needed for this

SPECIAL TEAMS::
his biggest area of contribution, but with the addition of guys like mckillop and possibly c.taylor he role could be reduced

BACKUP FB::
not a role he really excelled in either. how valuable he might be may depend in large part on how quickly b.miller can pick things up. it's hard to imagine brit can pick up all the nuances of the FB position so quickly, but stranger things have happend...

3rd DOWN::
word out of camp is coffee is showing excellent hands, and is grasping blitz pickup better than most rookies. IF he continues to show accelerated profficiency... or if sheets appears to be able to perform in pass pro (which seems far less likely to be honest)

WILDCAT::
you cant give a guy a roster spot JUST for this. also, spurlock.

to me its a longshot he wont make the roster, but if the numbers at WR are tight... or if miller looks like he can really be a viable option to backup moran and we dont want to risk him on the PS, i would say it's not inconceivable mrob could be gone.

He's not going anywhere.

MadDog you broke this down nice and simple. His special teams play and I would add the fact that Raye has also been impressed with his versatility.

He is't going anywhere.
MRob is a lock to make the team.

He will be our backup fullback & special teams ace this year for sure. I think he will have to fight for a roster spot next year.
Unless Coffee or a tight end is going to be used as backup fullback, I think he makes the cut. He may not be a true fullback, but from what I have seen, he looks to a better blocker than Zak Keasy.
I forget who the longtime NFL guy was, but he was/is very, very respected. Last year he called M-Rob the best ST player that he had ever seen in the NFL.

You don't just cut guys like that.
Let's cut Brian Jennings too then... all he is, is a long snapper. There's probably eight guys on that team that do nothing all season but special teams.
M.Rob is ok, its not like he makes ridiculous money, and he can fill lots of roles in case of emergencies besides being a very good special teams player. i dont like the fact that we may have to cut sheets to keep a special teams guy but it may come down to that. i just hope in the future we stop playing around with experimental players. QB to RB or WR. why not just draft a guy who doesnt have to transition and has already played that position for a long time?
Share 49ersWebzone