LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 275 users in the forums

Is the Michael Robinson experiment officially over?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
We're keeping four running backs

Gore
Coffee
MRob
Sheets
  • Dino
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Thizz415:
Robinson is our special teams ace and he is a serviceable RB/FB that when called upon doesn't do bad. He should remain on the team.

^^
Originally posted by crzy:

Gore
Coffee
MRob
Sheets

+ Norris
  • hopeforniners
  • Info N/A
There is no need for him or Alex Smith on this team. Damon Huard is a decent enough backup QB. I sure hope N.Davis steps up or we draft a good QB next year.

Alex Smith has all the physical tools save the instincts. All the mental capacity does not amount to football instincts.

And as for M.Robinson, he plays no role in the team.
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:

Gore
Coffee
MRob
Sheets

+ Norris

Well of course.

But Keasey is GONE and MRob is going nowhere.
This isn't madden, you don't cut somebody who's a valuable, versatile, veteran because he not a starter.
  • Dino
  • Veteran
Originally posted by hopeforniners:

Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:

Gore
Coffee
MRob
Sheets

+ Norris

Well of course.

But Keasey is GONE and MRob is going nowhere.

We're on the same page
Originally posted by E-49er:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
He's needed. With Keasey out, we are down to Norris and a rookie FB who played LB last season.

Plus, special teams is never overrated.

He's not going anywhere.

I don't know Maddog if he is as needed as you say. True he is a good special teamer but he needs to add more value than that. He is not a true FB and the team would be better served to pickup a rookie FA fullback to take Keaseys spot rather than keep Robinson on the roster.

He picks up the blitz well when put in. He is a good receiver out of the backfield and can get some tough yards also.

The only thing you mentioned I will give Mrob credit for is picking up the blitz. Mrob's running ability is nothing special. Coffee can pick up the tough yards just as well and is more explosive through the hole than Mrob.Mrob is a good receiver out of the backfield but I think Sheets and/or Coffee can catch the ball decently too. If coffee shows the ability to pickup the blitz and pass block and the coach's are confident he can do it, MRob's services would no longer be needed.
Originally posted by hopeforniners:
There is no need for him or Alex Smith on this team. Damon Huard is a decent enough backup QB. I sure hope N.Davis steps up or we draft a good QB next year.

Alex Smith has all the physical tools save the instincts. All the mental capacity does not amount to football instincts.

oh man...

This is my take on the MRob situation. I think that he isn't needed as a special teams "ace" and although he good hands out of the backfield, he really does not produce for this team (I hate to say -- I like MRob). And if Spurlock is the better QB in the wildcat formation, Brit continues to show promise, and Sheets continues to prove he is the speedy, instinctive scatback he was in college, then you have to cut MRob. The burst Kory Sheets showed last night, albeit against 3rd string, shows the coaches he should be given more time in upcoming preseason games. Spurlock is a good receiver and can backup Rossum as a PR/KR. Britt is a soft-handed, developing FB that can replace Moran Norris. MRob just doesn't fit into the future plans of the 49ers.

I just want us to keep Sheets!!
  • SS2K8
  • Veteran
He's our special teams head hunter, our wildcat qb, and can fill in at fb if need be. I don't see why his services are no longer needed. Sheets can't do any of those things, and with Frank and the way Coffee is looking, i doubt Sheets gets on the field much as strictly a halfback.

I was completely not impressed with our kick and punt coverage units and i want Mrob back blowing guys up.
It's either we keep 6 running backs or 6 receivers.

If we keep 6 receivers then Robinson will be let go unless we think we're able to keep Britt Miller on the practice squad.
He's needed. With Keasey out, we are down to Norris and a rookie FB who played LB last season.

He's not going anywhere.

I don't know Maddog if he is as needed as you say. True he is a good special teamer but he needs to add more value than that. He is not a true FB and the team would be better served to pickup a rookie FA fullback to take Keaseys spot rather than keep Robinson on the roster.

He picks up the blitz well when put in. He is a good receiver out of the backfield and can get some tough yards also.

The only thing you mentioned I will give Mrob credit for is picking up the blitz. Mrob's running ability is nothing special. Coffee can pick up the tough yards just as well and is more explosive through the hole than Mrob.Mrob is a good receiver out of the backfield but I think Sheets and/or Coffee can catch the ball decently too. If coffee shows the ability to pickup the blitz and pass block and the coach's are confident he can do it, MRob's services would no longer be needed.

Then we should wait until they prove it if they could. No need to get rid of a player that contributes. Now if he didn't contribute then ok but until someone proves they can do his other duties he should stay on the team.

He's not going anywhere.

Aw, Crap. I agree with maddog.
Share 49ersWebzone