There are 232 users in the forums

Raye's playcalling... what did you think?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I really like the play calling in the 1st half. Yeah, play action would have been nice to see but other than that I was happy.
For a pre-season game I was happy with it. Were gonna have a nice balanced attack. I agree that he isn't showing much until the regular season begins. After watching this pre-season game and some practices I feel very comfortable with Raye so far.
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
It was the first preseason game. There is nothing you can take from this game in terms of the play calling. The same can be said for the defense. The third preseason game is usually the one where the regulars get the most playing time and prepare for the regular season opener. I will wait to pass judgement on Raye the closer we get to the games that count.

There we go....

-9fA
  • Alchemy
  • Info N/A
I liked them better than anything Martz called. However, I would like to see more west-coast wrinkles in there...more slants and drag routes and such. More play-action wouldn't hurt either.
I think Jimmy called a good game, very solid.

I was very worried of a huge drop off in production after Martz, but I'm feeling better about Raye now.

If we can keep Alex Smith off the field, it looks like the offense will move the ball.
It's impossible to judge. Gotta assume that much of the playcalling was geared towards player evaluation as opposed to an actual game plan.

We need to wait until to Reg Season to see what's up with Raye . . . but it was nice to see Vernon out in the patterns.
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
It's impossible to judge. Gotta assume that much of the playcalling was geared towards player evaluation as opposed to an actual game plan.

We need to wait until to Reg Season to see what's up with Raye . . . but it was nice to see Vernon out in the patterns.

Too soon to tell, although what we did see was encouraging.

Not the "run, run, pass, punt" some were afraid we'd see.

Side note: Saw Raye go past my section a couple of times going up to the box on Friday night. Surprised to see how big and athletic he looks.

From reading this board and the pics posted on it, one might get the impression that Raye's a little old guy. Not so. He's probably 6'2" and really athletic looking build. He moved up the aisle steps with the other coaches double time, and had no problem keeping up. His face didn't seem to match his build. (Think Shar Pei on a Doberman.)
[ Edited by oldninerdude on Aug 16, 2009 at 9:14 AM ]
It's too soon to tell and that's made even more difficult by only seeing the first preseason game. It's just way too soon to draw any sort of realistic conclusions right now.
  • Envy
  • Veteran
In fairness he is probably trying to get used to play calling again as well. I think people are worrying too much just now. If by the last game in pre-season we remain to make lapses then its time to get pissed.
Way to early to determine anything.

I liked it, we seem a much better coached team than previus years and its only preseason week 1 so im hoping we can get much better but very good starting point.
I was pleased overall,i agree he should have let Davis throw at least one pass,and the 2 minute drill before halftime would have been nice to see. Being that its preseason,all the teams are trying not to show too much on film so its really hard to assess,but at least it looks like he's going to use the FB and TE like the glorious days of old..
we used vernon davis and it worked

all that matters lol
It appeared to me pretty plain, bland like a steak with no salt or pepper Oh wait how about just plain vanilla ice cream.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:
Originally posted by phatbutskinny:
he should have let nate davis throw once at least

I get the feeling the Niner's are not going to give other teams much game tape on him this pre-season.

I agree, also if Huard is playing good through preseason.
Share 49ersWebzone