LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 268 users in the forums

Raye's playcalling... what did you think?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I think he did good, I liked the plays called better than martz's offense. There were a few things I thought were strange.

1. before halftime we did like 4 shotgun draws.. they worked but, calling the same play is odd.

2. Wtf 2 min drill before halftime?

Otherwise it looked good, even with the 3rd stringers running it.
he should have let nate davis throw once at least
I want to see more passing. Play action!
Originally posted by phatbutskinny:
he should have let nate davis throw once at least

I get the feeling the Niner's are not going to give other teams much game tape on him this pre-season.
Originally posted by unst4bl3:
I think he did good, I liked the plays called better than martz's offense. There were a few things I thought were strange.

1. before halftime we did like 4 shotgun draws.. they worked but, calling the same play is odd.

1. I know it might've seemed odd, but it worked right? Why stop doing something when it keeps working for good gains.

2. Its preseason, and you don't want to take a whole bunch of chances and risks. They obviously wanted to see Coffee run the ball....Maybe they didn't feel comfortable with Smith at this point in the 2 minute drill...
So far so good.... We will need more help at WR to be able to stretch the field (Michael Crabtree?)
the 4th down run. he got the first and almost took it to the house. great game.
Originally posted by niner4life21:

1. I know it might've seemed odd, but it worked right? Why stop doing something when it keeps working for good gains.

2. Its preseason, and you don't want to take a whole bunch of chances and risks. They obviously wanted to see Coffee run the ball....Maybe they didn't feel comfortable with Smith at this point in the 2 minute drill...

Well if they wanted to see coffee run more, they could have used all the timeouts instead of one.

And they could have got up to the line faster to run more plays, so i was kind of confused on what they were doing there..

Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:
the 4th down run. he got the first and almost took it to the house. great game.

YEah that was pretty sweet, our receivers weren't getting too much separation either, either it is their lack of talent? or playcalling?
i'd like to see him be a little more aggressive next time. some more mid to long range passes, screens, sweeps and play action. both QB's can move so roll em out a little bit. after all, its preseason, we dont lose anything by getting aggressive, the games dont count. just see if those tricks will work for us in the regular season
True, he should have changed the playcalling to go with the backs that were in the game. Sheets is not an inside runner (or it didnt look like it in this game) eventhough he had some good gains.

Sweeps with sheets would have been nice.

If only for two plays, he made a playmaker out of Vernon Davis.

Success!
Isn't game 3-1st qtr going to be a better time to assess Raye's PC? I did like the throws to VD but for me, it's pretty vanilla right now.
It's a preseason game! He might have just as well let Singletary call it.

'Here Mike, these are all the plays we have practice so far. Call as you see fit so we can have some tape to work by. Thanks. I'm going to have a beer upstairs and re-watch the town hall meeting.'
I thought there were a few questionable calls but overall i thought it was pretty good. the 4 shotgun draws were odd, but they worked so whatever. he looks like he uses the fb and te way more than martz which i liked. i was disappointed he didnt go with the 2 minute drill before half time because he had a perfect opportunity to do so. what was my only real beef.
True, he should have changed the playcalling to go with the backs that were in the game. Sheets is not an inside runner (or it didnt look like it in this game) eventhough he had some good gains.

Sweeps with sheets would have been nice.

agreed. sheets should be used outside more, he's too small to be an inside runner, he lacks the power that gore has. i think a few sweeps and options would be very effective with his speed
Share 49ersWebzone