LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 300 users in the forums

Alex Smith mechanics: He still locks his left leg when he throws

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Alex Smith like him or hate him but you cant avoid the obvious. The fact is the dude just sucks, he will never be a good QB. He just makes everything look so difficult, he is not smooth, not fast with his decision making and just does not have the "it" factor. He is an ok backup but Hill should be the starter without a doubt.
One of my problems with Alex is he lacks touch on short passes, on one of his inc's, it was a short pass, and he threw it high and hard, from like 7 yards out, on a screen play, even though the RB made the catch, he still through it hard and high...

I'd like to see better touch out of Alex, he doesn't need to try and rocket everything
Originally posted by KowboyKiller:
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
Originally posted by BobS:
I didn't watch anything in slo-mo, what I noticed most is he seemed to have happy feet. He was kind of stomping around even when standing still, he looked shell shocked or nervous.

I was at the game, and I have yet to watch it on tv. But from what I saw, Smith still looks uncomfortable in the pocket, still takes too long to throw, and I noticed on a couple of throws he put it into tight coverage and got lucky. Same 'ol, same 'ol. Nothing that stood out as impressive. His passer rating is misleading. That TD throw was probably the ugliest play that netted 6 points that I have ever seen. C'mon Alex, make a decision, and make it sooner.

LOL I can't believe this thread, or niner talk. Anytime he does anything good it's "Oh, oh, you know that was lucky, he SHOULD have done that" "That was an UGLY TD pass, he sux!" His passer rating is misleading??? It's only misleading because it's Alex Smith and he truly is teh sucks and that's that.

He wasn't hesitating on the TD pass either, he pump faked. The announcers even showed it several times and commented on what a great pump fake it was to free up Miller. But noooo, it was really Alex Smith sucking up what should've been an easy eaaaasy TD.

I personally don't care who wins and I like BOTH of them (OMG SHOCKING!!! ), I just have confidence that the coaching staff will pick the right player, and as of right now, THEY BOTH LOOK ABOUT THE SAME. You people just hate Alex Smith and are coloring everything he does with that hate. OMGG 5-7 HE SUCKS!

Wrong. I am not an Alex Smith "hater". I been rooting for this guy to succeed from the beginning. I was at the game, so I did not get the benefit of a replay. That TD play took way too long to develop. To free up a receiver off a pump fake is the simplest of quarterback fundamentals, even the pee-wee qb's at halftime could show those skills. I can criticize what I see to be wrong with Smith's reads, mechanics, and accuracy without "hating" on him. It's been the same crap from the word go with this guy. We will see if he progresses at all during the preseason, and I for one hope he does. He HAS to TAKE the job from Hill, and last night he did not do much for his cause.

Our O-line will not hold up to a qb's indecision, no matter who it is. Plain and simple.
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
either way, by year 5, mechanics should not be your issue.

while true, he has never had a constant QB coach to help him out with that and every year a new one comes in. Hopefully it was just nervousness from his first real game in about 2 years and not more to come because if he does it on a consistent basis then we should be worried.
I think that both of the QB's did simply ------ OK. I have leaned slightly towards Hills side since last season , that one screen pass that Smith threw very poorly should have been a nice gain if he had just put a little air on it which is something that Hill does do pretty nicely , but it wasn't a horrible outing. Neither of those two stood out in this game ------ on to the next one.
Originally posted by Thizz415:
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
either way, by year 5, mechanics should not be your issue.

while true, he has never had a constant QB coach to help him out with that and every year a new one comes in. Hopefully it was just nervousness from his first real game in about 2 years and not more to come because if he does it on a consistent basis then we should be worried.

This QB coach stuff is bs. Every QB coach knows what proper mechanics should look like. I just don't know what Alex's deal is. He just looks flustered back there.
Originally posted by KowboyKiller:
I didn't watch anything in slo-mo, what I noticed most is he seemed to have happy feet. He was kind of stomping around even when standing still, he looked shell shocked or nervous.

I was at the game, and I have yet to watch it on tv. But from what I saw, Smith still looks uncomfortable in the pocket, still takes too long to throw, and I noticed on a couple of throws he put it into tight coverage and got lucky. Same 'ol, same 'ol. Nothing that stood out as impressive. His passer rating is misleading. That TD throw was probably the ugliest play that netted 6 points that I have ever seen. C'mon Alex, make a decision, and make it sooner.

LOL I can't believe this thread, or niner talk. Anytime he does anything good it's "Oh, oh, you know that was lucky, he SHOULD have done that" "That was an UGLY TD pass, he sux!" His passer rating is misleading??? It's only misleading because it's Alex Smith and he truly is teh sucks and that's that.

He wasn't hesitating on the TD pass either, he pump faked. The announcers even showed it several times and commented on what a great pump fake it was to free up Miller. But noooo, it was really Alex Smith sucking up what should've been an easy eaaaasy TD.

I personally don't care who wins and I like BOTH of them (OMG SHOCKING!!! ), I just have confidence that the coaching staff will pick the right player, and as of right now, THEY BOTH LOOK ABOUT THE SAME. You people just hate Alex Smith and are coloring everything he does with that hate. OMGG 5-7 HE SUCKS!

Wrong. I am not an Alex Smith "hater". I been rooting for this guy to succeed from the beginning. I was at the game, so I did not get the benefit of a replay. That TD play took way too long to develop. To free up a receiver off a pump fake is the simplest of quarterback fundamentals, even the pee-wee qb's at halftime could show those skills. I can criticize what I see to be wrong with Smith's reads, mechanics, and accuracy without "hating" on him. It's been the same crap from the word go with this guy. We will see if he progresses at all during the preseason, and I for one hope he does. He HAS to TAKE the job from Hill, and last night he did not do much for his cause.

Our O-line will not hold up to a qb's indecision, no matter who it is. Plain and simple.

A TD is a TD, and everyone here uses that TD as REASONS as to why Alex sucks so bad! He threw it later than earlier because Miller was covered.
Since it's devolved into Smith/Hill again, you can take it to the QB competition thread.
Share 49ersWebzone