There are 316 users in the forums

Alex Smith mechanics: He still locks his left leg when he throws

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I couldn't agree more. I don't even think that mechanics are his biggest problem. I am one of the biggest excuse makers for Alex Smith whenever anyone asks me about him. Injuries, coordinators ... whatever. The kid looks scared a lot. He is unsure and jittery for lack of a better word. What is it going to take for him to obtain the confidence a starting QB in the league needs? Hill's mechanice aren't perfect either, but he looks so much better because he knows where he wants to go with the ball.
Originally posted by aacadena:
He was 5-7. Pretty inaccurate.

on paper. I hated his decision making. He didn't go for read to read smoothly and R. Smith gift wrapped a TD pass for him. Even on his TD pass from where I was sitting it looked like he was shuffling his feet and holding on to the ball too long.

The fact is everyone in the organization is given him the chance to step up and he isn't doing it. You really think Alex will play one drive against the Raiders and Hill will play the rest of the half. No way, they are giving him every chance to win the job but he isn't producing.
Originally posted by global_nomad:

on paper. I hated his decision making. He didn't go for read to read smoothly and R. Smith gift wrapped a TD pass for him. Even on his TD pass from where I was sitting it looked like he was shuffling his feet and holding on to the ball too long.

The fact is everyone in the organization is given him the chance to step up and he isn't doing it. You really think Alex will play one drive against the Raiders and Hill will play the rest of the half. No way, they are giving him every chance to win the job but he isn't producing.

It's his first live action in how long? Thank you. And on the TD, he held on to the ball long enough to pump fake the rushers. When they jumped, he threw it. What do you want him to do, throw it right into their hands? He throws a TD, the haters hate. If he throws the ball and it gets batted down, the haters hate. Bottome line is that it was a TD. Pretty or not, I don't care. Some of you are just impossible.
Originally posted by GBNinerFan:

It's his first live action in how long? Thank you. And on the TD, he held on to the ball long enough to pump fake the rushers. When they jumped, he threw it. What do you want him to do, throw it right into their hands? He throws a TD, the haters hate. If he throws the ball and it gets batted down, the haters hate. Bottome line is that it was a TD. Pretty or not, I don't care. Some of you are just impossible.

I'm only "hating" because I expect more from him. Singletary said it, we know more about what Hill can give us than what Alex can. That's not a good sign for a guy who has been injured but has looked good in practice. How he plays in preseason games is the thing that is going to matter for him and taking sacks and throwing it in between routes or over the head of guys 2-3 different times in a half isn't cutting it.

He got us 6 points off of 3 turnovers he took over after. And dont get me started on how we have to revert back to the Nolan draw plays during the 2 minute drill I know they have worked on many times in Camp.
Member Milestone: This is post number 300 for BigMar.
Well, after a 1.5 season lay-off, I thought Alex played good for his very first game back facing live action.
I'm not an expert on mechanics. But what I did notice and noticed in the past is that Smith SOMETIMES looks like a kid in the schoolyard who is afraid of the bullies. He looks fearful and lacks confidence to let loose and fly.

Other times when he is loose he does a very good job. Maybe he should see a hypnotist? Like many other 49er fans I feel this season is his last shot w/us and I'd sure like to see him be successful. After all - his success would be our success.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
I'm not an expert on mechanics. But what I did notice and noticed in the past is that Smith SOMETIMES looks like a kid in the schoolyard who is afraid of the bullies. He looks fearful and lacks confidence to let loose and fly.

Other times when he is loose he does a very good job. Maybe he should see a hypnotist? Like many other 49er fans I feel this season is his last shot w/us and I'd sure like to see him be successful. After all - his success would be our success.

Unfortunatley he is never comfortable out there my kid says he looks like "Happy Feet" from the movie.
  • aacadena
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by Shaj:

right, because 7 attempts is a valid and representative statistical population sample, and we should overlook his prior 800 attempts at a 63.5 passer rating level.

thanks for reminding me why I avoid ninertalk.

Your welcome. It's not like we need more mindless bashing. 5-7 bro.

You also failed to mention how he threw in front of Champ Bailey to Morgan. Nice Bro. Nice.
Originally posted by SF2AZNiner:
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:

Unfortunatley he is never comfortable out there my kid says he looks like "Happy Feet" from the movie.

Peyton Manning has the worst case of happy feet in the history of the NFL! NO I am not comparing Alex to Peyton...that would be terribly stupid. I'm just saying, all QB's have their quirks.

right, because 7 attempts is a valid and representative statistical population sample, and we should overlook his prior 800 attempts at a 63.5 passer rating level.

pay no attention to the Newbs. I actually thought of you last night...as I remembered me and you and a few others warned everybody about Alex back in March of 05.

Nobody listened.

• Shemp
  • Hall of Fame

You also failed to mention how he threw in front of Champ Bailey to Morgan. Nice Bro. Nice.

you have a lot of attitude for a noob... I could also run circles around your weak response above, but it's really not worth my time.
Originally posted by GBNinerFan:

Telling it like it is.
  • aacadena
  • Info N/A

you have a lot of attitude for a noob... I could also run circles around your weak response above, but it's really not worth my time.

Then Run circles man. Go ahead, or don't even talk about it. Oh you got me, Ima NOOB. Since your such an expert on Mechanics because "Ron Jaworski" told you so, why are you posting here instead of being right next to Mel Kiper Jr? Dude remember in that game in 07 against the Seahawks, he also had a 3rd degree shoulder Seperation. I dont care who wins the QB comp anymore, just get us to the f**king playoffs. Hill and Smith both look decent, but once again, you seem like a Noob when it comes to Football, because you can't realize how average both their play was.
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Bluefalcon61:
Shaj, maybe we can plot WHEN he has a tendency to do this.

I wonder if he loses his mechanics and locks his leg when he's under pressure to really complete a pass, like on 3rd and anything over 8 yards. And as such affects his ability to sustain a drive.

good point, bro. my thinking is that it's when he wants to throw further than 10 yards.... but I'll look for that.

But since he went 5-7 and completed a pass in front of Champ Bailey, we should just drop this discussion and create the mold for his bust in Canton. just ask the noob.
  • alam
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by Bluefalcon61:
Shaj, maybe we can plot WHEN he has a tendency to do this.

I wonder if he loses his mechanics and locks his leg when he's under pressure to really complete a pass, like on 3rd and anything over 8 yards. And as such affects his ability to sustain a drive.

good point, bro. my thinking is that it's when he wants to throw further than 10 yards.... but I'll look for that.

But since he went 5-7 and completed a pass in front of Champ Bailey, we should just drop this discussion and create the mold for his bust in Canton. just ask the noob.

Don't forget that Shaun Hill held on to the ball too long on one play and apparently stared down his receiver on EVERY SINGLE ONE of his...2...attempts. Let's cut him.
Share 49ersWebzone