There are 166 users in the forums

Alex Smith mechanics: He still locks his left leg when he throws

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Remember in 2007 when Ron Jaworski broke down Smith's mechanics and stated that a primary reason for his inaccuracy was likely due to the fact that he locks his left leg when he throws? Then there was talk that Martz would rid him of this habit. Evidently it didn't happen. I watched a bunch of Smith's throws in slo-mo last night, and with the exception of his shorter dump off passes, he still locks his left leg when he throws. I wonder if he can ever take his play to the next level with this continuing mechanics issue.

Did anyone else notice this?

I assume the mods are going to merge this into some mother of all Alex Smith thread and the conversation will get lost entirely, but here's giving it a shot.
He was 5-7. Pretty inaccurate.
I didn't notice it being too obvious, but too early to tell considering the small amount of passes thrown.

But, yes, still waiting for Alex to come up with at least 2 straight series where he looks smooth and fluid - where it looks like he's playing "pitch and catch" with his receivers.

It's always wait till the next game, isn't it?
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by aacadena:

right, because 7 attempts is a valid and representative statistical population sample, and we should overlook his prior 800 attempts at a 63.5 passer rating level.

thanks for reminding me why I avoid ninertalk.
Originally posted by Bluefalcon61:
I didn't notice it being too obvious, but too early to tell considering the small amount of passes thrown.

But, yes, still waiting for Alex to come up with at least 2 straight series where he looks smooth and fluid - where it looks like he's playing "pitch and catch" with his receivers.

It's always wait till the next game, isn't it?

Agreed
I don't think its as big an issue as we make it seem in all honesty.
yes, he still sucks.
Shaj, maybe we can plot WHEN he has a tendency to do this.

I wonder if he loses his mechanics and locks his leg when he's under pressure to really complete a pass, like on 3rd and anything over 8 yards. And as such affects his ability to sustain a drive.
either way, by year 5, mechanics should not be your issue.
Originally posted by Shaj:
Originally posted by aacadena:

right, because 7 attempts is a valid and representative statistical population sample, and we should overlook his prior 800 attempts at a 63.5 passer rating level.

thanks for reminding me why I avoid ninertalk.

So true Shaj, so dang true! I rarely post in here too! Read the game day thread it's a riot! I was tempted to post but realized it would be a futile attempt at sanity! How you doing big guy hope all is well with you and the family, and the animals?

• BobS
  • Veteran
oops I just quoted myself!
[ Edited by BobS on Aug 15, 2009 at 9:09 AM ]
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BobS:
I didn't watch anything in slo-mo, what I noticed most is he seemed to have happy feet. He was kind of stomping around even when standing still, he looked shell shocked or nervous.
The one TD he had was a freebie. He was given the ball on the 11 yard line after that INT. I'm sure Nate Davis could have scored at TD from there. 5-7, big deal. He still sucks.

Shaun Hill is our man.
Originally posted by bigmike55:
The one TD he had was a freebie. He was given the ball on the 11 yard line after that INT. I'm sure Nate Davis could have scored at TD from there. 5-7, big deal. He still sucks.

Shaun Hill is our man.

You tell em Big Mike!
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
either way, by year 5, mechanics should not be your issue.

Yep, my thoughts exactly.
Share 49ersWebzone