There are 190 users in the forums

Special Teams

Shop Find 49ers gear online
^ Huh?
Originally posted by andes14:
^ Huh?

on the field goal team. who plays on the offensive line? Jennings is the long-snapper, but then you need several other linemen to block. With 7 active linemen on the gameday roster, that means starting offensive linemen will be playing on field goal units. So any way you slice it you are going to have guys who are starters in another unit playing ST.

And special teams is too important to just limit it to active backups. All those guys you listed play special teams, but just like with offense and defense, you want your best 11 out there, and there are probably different formations for different situations. Its not as simple as just saying, "These 9 guys don't start so they are the special teams."
^Dude when we mention ST units, we mean punt coverage, punt return, kick coverage, and kick return. Don't think anyone spends too much time worrying about field goal protection and field goal block lol. This whole thread has been dealing with the aforementioned 4 units, of which they CAN be assembled with those 9-10 guys I've been mentioning and NOT with prominent members of the offense and defense.
HessianDud, for some reason I can't quote you, but I just proved you can have ST units without any key guys on O or D...I just listed them multiple times- Miller, Dixon, Grant, Gooden, Costanzo, Culliver, Spillman, Jones, M. Williams. And, if active, Brock and Swain.

Those guys all play special teams as well. Its not the same 11 guys for each unit.
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
who f**king cares

Ya, he's good. So what. Pat Willis would be a savage on ST too. Doesn't mean it's worth the injury risk. The 9 guys that cover punts hands down should be Dixon, Miller, Grant, Gooden, Costanzo, Culliver, Spillman, Jones, and M. Williams. If Swain and/or Brock are active, they can maybe replace 1 or 2 of those guys. As for the other 3 special teams units, IF both Swain AND Brock aren't dressed, THEN maybe throw like a Reggie Smith or something on those units as the 10th guy. Hell, for kick return, we could have like a Snyder or a Dobbs on that unit. We'd done that before with Wragge and,, Kentwan Balmer.

im gonna go head and give the advantage to coach seely in knowing whats best for the team

They get paid to play. Obviously they have shown to be worthy of playing on special teams.

Special teams are on the field roughly 20 percent of the time. Why not have the best you can have out there without risking injury to your top playmakers (Gore, VD, Crab, etc) ?
^Dude when we mention ST units, we mean punt coverage, punt return, kick coverage, and kick return. Don't think anyone spends too much time worrying about field goal protection and field goal block lol. This whole thread has been dealing with the aforementioned 4 units, of which they CAN be assembled with those 9-10 guys I've been mentioning and NOT with prominent members of the offense and defense.

field goal units are special teams dude. its the same principle question of whether or not to put starting players from other units on special teams. Its unavoidable.

like i said, you don't just make special teams out of the leftovers on the roster. its a little more complicated than that. I know some fans go to the bathroom when the ST comes on, and many think of it as a graveyard for players who aren't otherwise good enough to play, but obviously coaches don't agree.
Originally posted by HessianDud:
field goal units are special teams dude. its the same principle question of whether or not to put starting players from other units on special teams. Its unavoidable.

like i said, you don't just make special teams out of the leftovers on the roster. its a little more complicated than that. I know some fans go to the bathroom when the ST comes on, and many think of it as a graveyard for players who aren't otherwise good enough to play, but obviously coaches don't agree.

Yes field goal units are special teams. No one here is talking about that in this thread though. Like I said, we're talking punt and kick coverage and return.

Btw, yes, for some reason Bowman is on the punt coverage unit. Blows my mind. We need to assemble 9 players for that unit. Miller, Dixon, Grant, Gooden, Costanzo, Brock, Culliver, Spillman, Jones, and M. Williams are all active. That's 10. Meaning at least 2 of those guys aren't on the punt coverage unit. Makes zero sense.

Yes field goal units are special teams. No one here is talking about that in this thread though. Like I said, we're talking punt and kick coverage and return.

Btw, yes, for some reason Bowman is on the punt coverage unit. Blows my mind. We need to assemble 9 players for that unit. Miller, Dixon, Grant, Gooden, Costanzo, Brock, Culliver, Spillman, Jones, and M. Williams are all active. That's 10. Meaning at least 2 of those guys aren't on the punt coverage unit. Makes zero sense.

it makes perfect sense. ST isn't a throwaway unit. Seely is the assistant head coach. special teams is important. good players should be on st.

and its not like seely is putting bowman and fangio or harbaugh don't realize it. i'm sure the snaps he takes are monitored by the entire team.

much ado about nothing.
it makes perfect sense. ST isn't a throwaway unit. Seely is the assistant head coach. special teams is important. good players should be on st.

and its not like seely is putting bowman and fangio or harbaugh don't realize it. i'm sure the snaps he takes are monitored by the entire team.

much ado about nothing.

Right but the reason why, say, a Patrick Willis isn't on special teams is because you're not supposed to risk injury to prominent members of O and D on special teams. He'd obviously be a savage on it. So that's why I don't get why Bowman is on it, who is nearly as vital a part of our D.

much ado about nothing.

Right but the reason why, say, a Patrick Willis isn't on special teams is because you're not supposed to risk injury to prominent members of O and D on special teams. He'd obviously be a savage on it. So that's why I don't get why Bowman is on it, who is nearly as vital a part of our D.

because bowman is a good, experienced special teamer. played on ST last year. Willis, far as I know, has never played on ST.
http://www.csnbayarea.com/blog/niners-talk/post/Midseason-report-Special-teams?blockID=590062&feedID=5936

Pretty cool article.
Coverage team just isn't the same, it started in the preseason and its still not the same . We miss Blake and Colin.
Share 49ersWebzone