There are 160 users in the forums

Special Teams

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by andes14:
I don't get why big time guys on our squad like Goldson and Walker have prominent special teams roles. For example, on the punt coverage unit, obviously Jennings and Lee are gonna be on the field. But we have plenty of guys to fill out the other 9- Dixon, Miller, Swain, Grant, Gooden, Costanzo, Culliver, C. Jones, Spillman, M. Williams, Brock. For punt/kick return, you need 10 of those guys (Ginn being the 11th) and same with kick coverage (Akers being the 11th). So any idea why we still see Walker, Goldson, even R. Smith on special teams? Granted, there's a numbers game with only being able to dress 46 guys, but even when everybody is healthy, Dixon, Miller, Grant, Gooden, Costanzo, Culliver, C. Jones, Spillman, and M. Williams are always active.

I've always wondered also why Walker is in on STs. I wanna say he enjoys it, he probably refuses to come off the field.

Of those guys you mentioned only Swain isnt likely active each week, as he wasnt this past weekend with Braylon back.
oh andes I wonder if Kyle Williams is in on STs, we dont use many 4 WR sets, or 3 for that matter. Crabtree, Braylon, Gore, Walker and VD are our main targets.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
oh andes I wonder if Kyle Williams is in on STs, we dont use many 4 WR sets, or 3 for that matter. Crabtree, Braylon, Gore, Walker and VD are our main targets.

Don't think he is. In a perfectly healthy roster, ya, I do think Swain and Brock would be healthy inactives. But even if they are, those core 9 guys should be on all 4 units. Then maybe Reggie Smith can be on punt return and kick coverage (though if for whatever reason Brock or Swain were active, they'd replace Smith on those units), and someone like Dobbs can be the 10th on kick return.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:

Don't think he is. In a perfectly healthy roster, ya, I do think Swain and Brock would be healthy inactives. But even if they are, those core 9 guys should be on all 4 units. Then maybe Reggie Smith can be on punt return and kick coverage (though if for whatever reason Brock or Swain were active, they'd replace Smith on those units), and someone like Dobbs can be the 10th on kick return.

I agree. I look at the current active roster, and if healthy the logical inactives are Kilgore(OG), Person(OT), Williams(NT), Swain(WR), Tolzien(QB). The last 2 I am tough on, one is either Spencer or Brock, I dont see us decativating Colin Jones, Spillman or Williams, all 3 are really good on STs, same with Grant and Gooden, Costanzo is obviously our best kick man coverage guy.

The last would be Norris right now since he isnt healthy, and even if healthy I wouldnt activate him, but if he is, that means someone is inactive, maybe both Spencer and Brock. I for one am happy the NFL has the new rule where you only have 7 inactives and now 46 active on gameday, and dont have to have a 3rd QB designated as the old 8 man inactive list.

One of thing is, I want to see Kilgore get active sometime soon, Rachal isnt cutting it IMO as our backup G.
I've seen Bowman out there too,

Those guys are out there to block for Ginn...and it's working
  • fryet
  • Veteran
Keep in mind that you only have 45 active on game day, so it is hard to keep all starters off of special teams. Walker is a backup tight end, so that is probably why he is on special teams, but considering how much we use TE and that we don't have much depth at the TE position, I would keep him off of special teams. TE are probably great for special teams as they know how to block, and they are fast. I imagine that he is good at it. This would be another reason if I were the 49ers I would stock up on TE in the draft. They probably make better special team players than WR, and we use them more than WR anyway.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
I've seen Bowman out there too,

Those guys are out there to block for Ginn...and it's working

I understand that, but you shouldnt have your top players out there like a Delanie, Bowman and Goldson, all 3 are key contributers this season. Idk I just get nervous thinking about them getting injured. We dont use many of the ST core players on reg plays, the Grant, Gooden, Costanzo, Spillman, Jones, Williams, etc.... Dont play on Defense, thus why they make more valuable on ST's, same goes obviously for Brian Jennings, guy doesnt have a position besides LS, and thats fine, he is a top LS, and paid like it.

I mean if it aint broke, dont fix it, I just get nervous out there. Like Ive said its likely cause those guys loves playing every play, so they want to be on ST's.
it would be impossible to have a ST unit that only has players who don't contribute on O or D. ST is a huge part of the game and you want difference makers out there. Delanie is fantastic in KO coverage.
Originally posted by HessianDud:
it would be impossible to have a ST unit that only has players who don't contribute on O or D. ST is a huge part of the game and you want difference makers out there. Delanie is fantastic in KO coverage.

Exactly, Same goes for the offense and defensive lines...not enough players to sub
Sometimes a couple of starters on your ST make the difference between a huge return or poor field position.

A little off-topic here, but it is relevant for special teams. But I hate the whole idea of "inactive players." What is the point? Why in the world, if you have a 53-man roster, can only 47 suit up? That is the definition of insanity. Seriously, when you look in the dictionary under the word insanity, definition #3 is "NFL rules regarding inactive players." I can understand the practice squad, a little bit, the intention being teams don't just stockpile players and bury them on the roster, and so everyone gets a chance to be a starter, but what possible reason is there for not letting guys you are paying to play football NOT play football?

I was very upset the latest CBA did not address this blatant idiocy.
I don't know the answer but I do know thw results! Our ST are playing fantastic. Don't argue with Success.
Bowman is not on special teams. The bottom line is you're supposed to have all back-up linebackers, most back-up DB's, and some back-ups on offense (excluding o-line and QB). The reason isn't even because of being winded or whatever. It's because you don't want to risk key guys getting injured when a much less important player can pretty much do the job just as well. That's why it's surprising to see Goldson/Walker and even Reggie Smith on special teams.

bowman has played on special teams this year...believe he had a play last week
HessianDud, for some reason I can't quote you, but I just proved you can have ST units without any key guys on O or D...I just listed them multiple times- Miller, Dixon, Grant, Gooden, Costanzo, Culliver, Spillman, Jones, M. Williams. And, if active, Brock and Swain.
HessianDud, for some reason I can't quote you, but I just proved you can have ST units without any key guys on O or D...I just listed them multiple times- Miller, Dixon, Grant, Gooden, Costanzo, Culliver, Spillman, Jones, M. Williams. And, if active, Brock and Swain.

who plays on the offensive line then?
Share 49ersWebzone