There are 260 users in the forums

Our RB situation

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Gore, Norris, Coffee and Robinson are locks IMO.

Keasey is done with the broken arm.

It looks like Clayton will be out for quite a while, if not the entire season.

So it comes down to Sheets or Miller assuming we keep five RB's.

SHEETS

I disagree. I don't think robinson is a lock. He lacks explosiveness through the hole and doesn't have game breaking speed and is not healthy. Clayton and Keasey are done IMO and it looks to be Gore,Coffee and Sheets at RB and Morris and Miller and FB if we keep 5. That IMO is a better group at RB than last year and should provide the running game Sing is looking for.
Originally posted by E-49er:

SHEETS

I disagree. I don't think robinson is a lock. He lacks explosiveness through the hole and doesn't have game breaking speed and is not healthy. Clayton and Keasey are done IMO and it looks to be Gore,Coffee and Sheets at RB and Morris and Miller and FB if we keep 5. That IMO is a better group at RB than last year and should provide the running game Sing is looking for.

I think of that group, Gore, Coffee, Norris and Sheets would be the main offensive weapons with the fifth guy (Robinson or Miller) rarely seeing the field aside from special teams. In that light I'd have to assume Robinson keeps his roster spot and the UDFA goes to the practice squad.

SHEETS

I think of that group, Gore, Coffee, Norris and Sheets would be the main offensive weapons with the fifth guy (Robinson or Miller) rarely seeing the field aside from special teams. In that light I'd have to assume Robinson keeps his roster spot and the UDFA goes to the practice squad.

I could see something like this playing out. Although, if Gore and Coffee stay healthy, Sheets will probably ride the PS this year. Norris is a lock. Keasey and Clayton are on the outside looking in, especially with the injuries... If Sheets shows ST worth, he may replace Robinson...

I like Robinson, but frankly, he is only good for ST, and sometimes a lead block. No way can this guy run the ball...

SHEETS

I think you nailed it, Sonoco. Unless Miller gets 2 TDs in every other preseason game, he will get cut, clear waivers, make PS, and hopefully have a good chance of replacing Norris at some point in the future.

I know Robinson is the least exciting of the RBs. But I think he does bring a fair ammount to the table, even beyond special teams. He's our best wild cat QB, and I think he's a very good 3rd down RB. He's not a great runner, but he's good on draws and as a receiver. And most importantly, he's one of the best pass protectors we have in the backfield.
Another thing to think about is the fact that MRob is supposedly the QB of our "taser" wildcat offense. From what the Matt's have been saying, Michael Spurlock is actually looking very good at this position. With Gore/Coffee as a lock and most likely Moran Norris, I feel that the competition to make the team is now between MRob and Kory Sheets. Sheets just has too much upside with his speed and game-breaking ability to cut, IMHO. MRob could be the odd man out here, especially if Brit Miller looks a third as a good as he did last night.
Gore, Coffee, Sheets

Norris, Miller, M-Rob

Where does M-Rob even fit in? . We should just keep 6 running backs and 5 receivers instead of the other way around.
Originally posted by 49ers1:
i feel sorry for clayton

I do too, you could see his disgust on his face before the pulled him through the tunnell, I was just thinking..."hold on dude, you'll get your shot someday"

I dont know if it will be with us though, sheets was awesome. He had a couple of really nice blitz pick ups which I was really happy about, it shut the announcers up really quick. He had a great block on the blitzing safely on the Brit Miller Touchdown. Also, Brit Miller needs to be our FB in waiting. I think the guy will produce for us, last night I'm sure gave him a ton of confidence, and while he is still learning the position I think to himself he probably is starting to believe that he blongs, which is important.
I would like to see Gore, Coffee, Norris, Robinson & Sheets make the squad. I think Brit Miller goes to PS so Rathman can develop him for next year or beyond. Feel bad for Keasey & Clayton & hope the injuries are not as bad as we think.
Do we keep a ST stud for somene that could be a nice change of pace guy? I'm glad I don't have to make the decision. I have a feeling they will stick with Robinson though....

SHEETS

I agree with your first four but the problem with keeping Robinson is that if Norris goes down who is gonna run block for Gore and Coffee? Robinson? I don't think so. Since Sing wants to run the football I would say that Miller makes the team over Robinson if Miller proves he can be a good run blocker and pass protector. Sing said they might need to add someone so my guess is he would be looking for a more traditional FB.

Originally posted by 49ersNorcal:
Did anyone see how Zak Keasey allowed 2 sacks on the opening drive vs the Broncos? Then goes and gets himself hurt on special teams? Idiot. Cut him. And keep Brit Miller. TWO TD'S!!!

That last sack was all on Hill bro, even he admitted it.
Share 49ersWebzone