LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 206 users in the forums

Short to Mid-Range vs Deep Ball Offense

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Please feel free to add if this is not balanced.

Short to Mid-Range:

Positives:
  1. More ball control
  2. More TOP
  3. Does not rely heavily on the run if the run isn't working
  4. Good if protection is weak

Negatives"
  1. Requires more plays to score
  2. More chances of a turnover per #1
  3. Does not pose a deep threat for Safeties

Deep Ball Offense:

Positives:
  1. Quick scores
  2. Spreads defense further
  3. Timing does not need to be flawless in comparison

Negatives:
  1. Must rely heavy on run
  2. Not as much TOP
  3. Shorter drives
  4. Lower completion percentages
its a double edged sword. a team needs both. i think if our line can be decent our offense will be pretty unpredictable, but if they start falling apart its gonna look more WCO with short passes, sweeps and screens.
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
its a double edged sword. a team needs both. i think if our line can be decent our offense will be pretty unpredictable, but if they start falling apart its gonna look more WCO with short passes, sweeps and screens.

My main thing is that one relies heavier on the running game to succeed.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:

My main thing is that one relies heavier on the running game to succeed.

very true, or just the threat of the run. i think having Gore back there automatically puts in other teams heads that we can run if we need to. and our line is pretty huge so i think the threat is there.
Decent run game and play action opens up everything.

i don't think any team specifically emphasises one certain aspect. it the situation and yardage.
short to mid also stacks the box making running more difficult. you can run a short to mid range but you have to have a speedster and conect early to open up the threat of going deep at anytime.
Share 49ersWebzone