There are 177 users in the forums

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS @ GREEN BAY PACKERS GAMEDAY THREAD (Game 10)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 9erfreak:
Originally posted by B650:
Originally posted by Jersey9er:
Originally posted by susweel:
Alex shows just enough to keep his supporters happy and wanting more. However the fact is he has still yet to play a complete game, he looks good in some quarters but that don't get it done in the NFL.

I agree, when they play to his strenghts, he looks, great, when they dont, he looks horrible so i agree wit ya. Lets see him with the offense that plays to his strenghts like today, and 99.9% of the people say todays' loss is on the coaching, not QB. So when we gear the O to Alex's strenghts, then he still fails pull his ass. But lets talk about him not looking good, when he's put in the best position to succeed.

It's his fault the defense gave up 30 points and couldn't give him the ball back? It's his fault that he completed what, 7 passes in the 1st half? He was put in the best position to succeed in the 2nd half and produced. Are we watching the same game?

I put that costly INT in the 2nd half that went for 7 points on A Smiths shoulders.

Yes he looks good when in a spread offense but when you have a back like F Gore do you really want to run spread offense all the time? A Smith needs to be able to execute passes from I formation 2 TE sets or whatever play personnel are on the field for that play. O-line lack of help doesn't help though A Smith seems to roll/step up right into the pass rush at times.

A Smith needs to show me a complete game he tends to make highlight reels 1 quarter and blooper reels the next quarter

Yes. If the spread consistently puts up points then the Niners ought to use it as their basic offense.
Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by blunt_probe:
Originally posted by blunt_probe:
Alex looks flustered at the podium.

he always is

Yeah, I know... but he seemed kind of angry at first.

can you give us a recap?

He said to go full spread is impossible. He said you do that sort of thing in training camp. He also said they're not executing and that'd he rather have his stats show up on the score board.
[ Edited by blunt_probe on Nov 22, 2009 at 2:05 PM ]
Originally posted by Joecool:
When the pressure of the game is off, Smith performs fine. As soon as the pressure comes back on, he throws picks.

He led them on a touchdown drive on the last possession!
Originally posted by TheRatMan13:
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Vernon telling it like it is.

What did he say? Please tell me he called out the play calling!

this

he said what most of us have been saying...that we should open it up early in games..... he feels that we make it easier for the defense to key on 1 guy early in games....but when we do decide to spread it out...we get plays to our playmakers and it makes it harder for the defense to key on one guy....

I am impressed with Vernon.... he basically called out the playcalling but said it in the most non destructive non nonchalant way I have ever seen.....almost like a ninja...... I wish T.O. learned this early in his career.
[ Edited by Afrikan on Nov 22, 2009 at 2:06 PM ]
That one turnover cost us the game. Those were the only points the Packers scored in the 2nd half.

Every game we've lost this season- we've lost the turnover battle. Our offense isn't good enough to overcome our own mistakes.

this

he said what most of us have been saying...that we should open it up early in games..... he feels that we make it easier for the defense to key on 1 guy early in games....but when we do decide to spread it out...we get plays to our playmakers and it makes it harder for the defense to key on one guy....

I am impressed with Vernon.... he basically called out the playcalling but said it in the most non destructive non nonchalant way I have ever seen.....almost like a ninja...... I wish T.O. learned this early in his career.

Originally posted by Joecool:
When the pressure of the game is off, Smith performs fine. As soon as the pressure comes back on, he throws picks.

The pressure was on the entire first half and he didn't throw a pick. News flash: Every QB in the league throws picks if they are pressured.

this

but be careful what you wish for Backontop.....but I agree...like I have said before if you are going to ride or die with Alex...RIDE OR DIE WITH ALEX

none of this teasing stuff.....let him prove self and if he plays bad then fine we know what we have to do....if he plays great like he does sometimes....then there you go..... I hate this back and forth BS.

this

but be careful what you wish for Backontop.....but I agree...like I have said before if you are going to ride or die with Alex...RIDE OR DIE WITH ALEX

none of this teasing stuff.....let him prove self and if he plays bad then fine we know what we have to do....if he plays great like he does sometimes....then there you go..... I hate this back and forth BS.

I have been saying that the entire time. The coaches need to put the games on Alex's shoulders. Let him go out there and win the games. At least this way we actually know what we have in a QB with Smith. I would have for the coaches to hold him back and not play to his strengths then let him go. Then he goes to another team who sees his strengths and play to them and magically they have a franchise QB. If they allow Smith to actually be a QB and not a hand off queen and Smith sucks it up, then fine move on. But lets find out what we have with him first. Use playcalling and formations that play his strengths.
  • Nes49
  • Veteran
Good I had errands to run, I didn't c it for myself. This don't bold well for out playoff chances. Judging SOLELY on the wwbzone chatter, PLAYCALLING was terrible. But we racked up 24points. Did Jimmy Raye Let Alex go SPREADCOAST again. If Alex can be killer in the spread, y don't we spread?
[ Edited by Nes49 on Nov 22, 2009 at 2:22 PM ]

Matt M. looking sharp in his interview after the game..... I like that suit.
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Nes49:
Good I had errands to run, I didn't c it for myself. This don't bold well for out playoff chances. Judging SOLELY on the wwbzone chatter, PLAYCALLING was terrible. But we racked up 24points. Did Jimmy Raye Let Alex go SPREADCOAST again. If Alex can be killer in the spread, y don't we spread?

Raye was asleep by the time Smith started throwing TDs, so he had no idea how effective spreading everything out was. That's the only explanation I can think of.

Raye was asleep by the time Smith started throwing TDs, so he had no idea how effective spreading everything out was. That's the only explanation I can think of.

that and Singletary was to busy jerking off to the thoughts of a power running offense

lol
Originally posted by ptw1:
did anyone else get the impression, by listening to brian billick, that he wished he was the h/c w/their offensive potential?

I wouldn't mind him on our coaching staff
Share 49ersWebzone