LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 313 users in the forums

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS @ GREEN BAY PACKERS GAMEDAY THREAD (Game 10)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Go, Niners, go!
  • hcniner64
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by Spoonerism:
Anyone on here remember that the cowboys kinda suck? They had a run on offense because of Miles Austin but now that teams have had a chance to study him he isn't doing as much. Romo is erratic at best.

Green Bay has played 2 teams I would consider good: Cincy and Minnesota, both losses. Our defense will chew Rogers up and spit out his receivers.

A concrete win against Rogers would do miles for Alex's confidence. He needs this game. I don't know what is going to happen. Maybe Alex finally goes off? Maybe he doesn't? Maybe we take the lead and try to sit on it? I have no idea but win or lose I'm not going to say that GB is a very good team.

I hope we finally play chess with these guys and stop playing checkers.

Agreed. One of my friends is a die hard packers fan and before the cowboy game he was already hoping to lose out for the draft picks and wanting a new hc. A comfortable win would do miles for our teams confidence and playoff chances.

[ Edited by hcniner64 on Nov 16, 2009 at 19:33:47 ]
After watching the Cowboy's game, I believe that this is our best chance of beating the Packers. Contrary to popular belief, I don't think that we have a Peyton Manning drone that is being held back. We need to minimize turnovers, pound the ball and enable Alex to just enough to win the game. Otherwise, we can't get into a shoot out with them and expect to win. But we do have a physical team and a coach who knows how to win in Greenbay. I say:

HIT'EM IN THE MOUTH!!!
Originally posted by BSofSF:
Originally posted by BSofSF:
Per ESPN statistics:

DEFENSIVE STATS: Green Bay gives up the fourth fewest yards per game, at 282.9, but they are ranked 17th for points allowed per game at 21.5 and are 4th worst in the league for TDs allowed at 16. They don't get a lot of sacks. At 13 on the season, they are ranked third to last, but they are big on interceptions, ranked 4th in the league with 12. Green Bay's run defense is stout, giving up 3.5 yards per carry and ranked second in the league only to our 49ers. Green Bay has given up 3 rushing TDs this year, ranking 4th. Green Bay's opponents convert 34% of third downs, 5th toughest in the league, but Green Bay leads the league in giving the opponent a first down due to penalty.

ANALYSIS: Green Bay defense does not put a lot of pressure on the QB, but is strong against the run and agressive against the pass. They get a lot of interceptions and forced fumbles, leading to one of the top takeaway ratios, but they their ball hawking style also gives up a middle of the pack number of TDs and a league leading number of penalties leading to first downs. They will stuff your run, make you pass, and look to get the turnover. This will be a tough game for Singletary and Raye, because the Packers are good at taking away what the Niners want to do, i.e., run and control the clock. I am assuming based on our offensive line's performance and injuries that we're not going to impose our will running. This means we will have to pass, and this will make Singletary nervous because Green Bay is strong on getting the turnover, particularly interceptions. The pressure will be on Alex Smith and his receivers against Green Bay. To score, we're going to have to get a very strong collective effort from the passing game. Smith should have time to throw the ball, but accuracy and separation of the recievers will be key.

PACKER OFFENSIVE STATS:

YDS/GAME: 376.6 (7th)
PASSING YDS/GAME: 255.6 (9th)
RUSHING YDS/GAME: 121.0 (10th)
POINTS/GAME: 26.9 (7th)

PACKERS RECORD (4-4):

WEEK 1: W 21-15 v. CHICAGO (4-5)
WEEK 2: L 24-31 v. CINCINNATI (6-2)
WEEK 3: W 36-17 v. ST. LOUIS (1-7)
WEEK 4: L 23-30 v. MINNESOTA (7-1)
WEEK 5: BYE
WEEK 6: W 26-0 v. DETROIT (1-7)
WEEK 7: W 31-3 v. CLEVELAND (1-7)
WEEK 8: L 26-38 v. MINNESOTA (7-1)
WEEK 9: L 28-38 v. TAMPA BAY (1-7)

FINAL ANALYSIS: This should be a very tough game for us. Statistically, the Packers are strong on defense and offense, but they've played 4 very weak opponents, so their rankings are inflated. Against the top teams, as with us, they have lost. Still, this is a good, ball hawking defense that we are facing, that will take away our run and force us to win the game with our unproven passing attack. Green Bay has the ability to put points on the board with their offense and has a strong turnover ratio. Lambeua Field is a very tough place to win, and given the time of the year, we could be looking at tough weather conditions. I would expect us to be a 5-7 point underdog for this game, baring significant injuries to the Packers in their matchup this Sunday against the Cowboys. If we win this one it will likely have to come on the backs of Alex Smith and the receivers playing a very good game, and the defense getting sacks and forcing turnovers from Green Bay. Head Says: L . Heart Says: W .

I'm not going to recalculate, but I did double check Green Bay's defensive stats after their victory over Dallas this weekend, and they have improved statistically across the board. This is a very good defense we are facing, and they just shut down one of the top offenses. Did I mention that we haven't won at Lambeau since 1990? I keep reading so much about the mediocrity of our remaining opponents, and that might be true on the whole, but this in my mind is the most difficult game on our schedule for the remainder of the year. If we beat Green Bay at their place, I will be impressed.
Manny and Parys better get some sacks going up against this super lame o line. Rodgers will give the ball up
[ Edited by lamontb on Nov 16, 2009 at 12:01 PM ]
Originally posted by ttime1:
After watching the Cowboy's game, I believe that this is our best chance of beating the Packers. Contrary to popular belief, I don't think that we have a Peyton Manning drone that is being held back. We need to minimize turnovers, pound the ball and enable Alex to just enough to win the game. Otherwise, we can't get into a shoot out with them and expect to win. But we do have a physical team and a coach who knows how to win in Greenbay. I say:

HIT'EM IN THE MOUTH!!!

The plan against manning worked because pressure or no pressure, Manning is a intricate QB who values timing like it is his life. Therefore, even if the blocking is good, he MUST get the ball out in 3 seconds or faster because that is the timing of the play, route, and blocking. Manning hates to improvise! which is why more time is sort of a disruption for him.

So, if you cover a split second passed that time, Manning and his receivers are off-route.

Our defensive line had a good day also.

However, Rogers will welcome improvising and will kill us if we don't pressure him.
I believe that this game is the most important so far. first because we have not beat q quality opponent with the exeption of ARI, second i feel that this game will be the key to whether or not we go to the playoffs. Even though we will still have a statistical chance if we loose, the momentum and confidence that would come from a win, could and should be enough to power us through the rest of the season, likewise if we loose i think the impact of not having any sustainable success will iltimatley take its toll on the team. Just my thought though, let me know what y'all think. PEACE FROM THE FAN.
I say stop making duplicate threads.

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS @ GREEN BAY PACKERS PRE-GAMEDAY THREAD
Everyone knows that the goal for this season is the playoffs. As far as getting there, we control our destiny. Now, how often can the 49ers say that?
Maybe it's a good thing that AZ is playing well, so we at least have our work cut out for us vs being relaxed. It's time we put in some serious game plans and execute efficiently.
We have the talent and personnel (at least that's what we hear from Singletary), so this year we need to take that next step.
Originally posted by lamontb:
Manny and Parys better get some sacks going up against this super lame o line. Rodgers will give the ball up

They should be well prepared to face a lame o line on Sunday with practicing against our offense all week.

• Nes49
  • Veteran
Winning this game....would changes EVERYTHING....

GO 9ers!
Seems like we are giving them a kiss on the cheek
Originally posted by 49ersking:
Everyone knows that the goal for this season is the playoffs. As far as getting there, we control our destiny. Now, how often can the 49ers say that?
Maybe it's a good thing that AZ is playing well, so we at least have our work cut out for us vs being relaxed. It's time we put in some serious game plans and execute efficiently.
We have the talent and personnel (at least that's what we hear from Singletary), so this year we need to take that next step.

If a team is not in control of its own destiny going into week 10, then that is a truly bad team.
We need the Offense to score points in this game. If we let our D try to win the game like we did against Da Bears, we will watch our season go down.
Originally posted by 9inermaniac:
We need the Offense to score points in this game. If we let our D try to win the game like we did against Da Bears, we will watch our season go down.

Amen to that!
Share 49ersWebzone