LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 277 users in the forums

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS @ INDIANAPOLIS COLTS GAMEDAY THREAD (Game 7)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I think the best way to compete with the colts would be using a spread offense with alex in shotgun. Mix it up and let Freeney and Mathis run up the field and use a lot of draw plays. They are vulnerable against the run.
i really feel were so screwed
My biggest concern is the defense giving up big plays and touchdowns.
We don't have a chance against Indy if we can't get this damn running game going. It's that simple. If we run the ball effectively we have a good chance of wining. If you expect Alex to sling the ball around all day and get into a shootout with Manning we're done.
Originally posted by BETTERDAYZ9ERS:
We don't have a chance against Indy if we can't get this damn running game going. It's that simple. If we run the ball effectively we have a good chance of wining. If you expect Alex to sling the ball around all day and get into a shootout with Manning we're done.

Balanced attack is the key. We're not a smash mouth football team by any means, and if we play Jimmy Raye football we're going to get blown 35-0 by half time. By Jimmy Raye football I mean 1 WR formations, motioning Morgan into block, run to set up the pass.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Oct 27, 2009 at 9:52 AM ]
Dallas Clark is gonna DESTROY us! Congrats to anyone who has him on their fantasy team.
Originally posted by tjd808185:

Balanced attack is the key. We're not a smash mouth football team by any means, and if we play Jimmy Raye football we're going to get blown 35-0 by half time. By Jimmy Raye football I mean 1 WR formations, motioning Morgan into block, run to set up the pass.

Take Miami's formula. They run the ball effectively against Indianapolis and New Orleans. The best passing teams in the league and should have beat them both. Play keep away. Gore needs to get on track. Play action needs to work. Problem with Miami is that their secondary is weak. Wilson and Bell are box safeties only good for run stopping. They're horrible in coverage.
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
Dallas Clark is gonna DESTROY us! Congrats to anyone who has him on their fantasy team.

Take Miami's formula. They run the ball effectively against Indianapolis and New Orleans. The best passing teams in the league and should have beat them both. Play keep away. Gore needs to get on track. Play action needs to work. Problem with Miami is that their secondary is weak. Wilson and Bell are box safeties only good for run stopping. They're horrible in coverage.

We're not Miami. Not even close. That's about as reallistic as us taking the New England approach to beating everyone. Miami has the Wildcat and is the best rushing team in football. We can't duplicate that.

If there's a blue print that we need to follow it's San Diego's playoff victory over them.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Oct 27, 2009 at 10:03 AM ]

We're not Miami. Not even close. That's about as reallistic as us taking the New England approach to beating everyone. Miami has the Wildcat and is the best rushing team in football. We can't duplicate that.

If there's a blue print that we need to follow it's San Diego's playoff victory over them.

It will be interesting to see if Indy's defense respects Alex's arm or not. As mentioned in other threads if Indy respects our passing game then it might open up the box for Frank to get loose. If they dare us to throw with one on one coverage then Alex has to make them pay. T.O.P will be key is my point.

this might be the first week in the webzone pick'em where practicality outweighs niner homerizim

Don't forget MJD and Jax also played Indy tough in week 2. Lost by 1 point on a failed conversion I believe. They also ran the ball well on Indy. Indy should have at least 2 losses but they have Peyton.
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
We're gonna get our asses pounded, but we're gonna put up a fight so that our asses aren't handed to us by the end of it!

Well honestly, its a possibility for the 9ers to beat the Colts, the strategy is for the 9ers to kill as much clock as possible while mixing up the pass and the run. Get Alex on a run like he did last game, then get Gore on a role, as long as we have momentum and keep scoring, we can get this game.
Then again its not just like that, takes the whole team plus the O and D line, they have to pressure Manning and the O line has to protect Alex, reason Alex didn't get sacked a lot last game was cause they were playing back cause they had the lead, but i'm glad to admit that it looked like he was getting rid of the football a little faster than before
and everyone knows who Manning is, almost impossible to stop him.....
  • JC49
  • Veteran
I'll be happy if we put up some points, get the running game going, and Alex doesn't get killed playing behind our offensive(literally) line. After that let the chips fall where they may.

Don't forget MJD and Jax also played Indy tough in week 2. Lost by 1 point on a failed conversion I believe. They also ran the ball well on Indy. Indy should have at least 2 losses but they have Peyton.

Fair point, but Indy was off their game that day. Jacksonville ran the ball well, but Indy controlled the clock 34-26, dominated them in yards 365-228. Had the game been in week 7 instead of week 1 Indy probally wins by 14+. If anything that game shows you how turnovers effects a game. Indy lost 2, Jacksonville had none. Turns a lopsided game to a close one.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Oct 27, 2009 at 10:57 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone