LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 197 users in the forums

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS @ INDIANAPOLIS COLTS GAMEDAY THREAD (Game 7)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Were gonna win, Bank on it.
Originally posted by FourNine49:
I remember the last time we SPANKED the Colts...

Don't know about spanked. Wasn't that a overtime win?
Keep in mind that the Colts just got thier best defensive player, Bob Sanders back from injury.
Originally posted by NJNiner:
Keep in mind that the Colts just got thier best defensive player, Bob Sanders back from injury.

dont worry he will get hurt again in this game
I want our team to come out to play. We need to cause some turnovers & put some early points on the board. If we can connect on a deep pass early in the game it will loosen up the defense the rest of the game. Go 49ers!
I expect us to try very hard to establish the running game. If you can get that going against the Colts, you have a VERY good chance of winning the game. The Colts do not have the greatest rushing defense, but still a half-decent one at least.

Gore needs to light them up to win, and our defense has to step up big-time. We're playing AT Indy so that makes things even more difficult.

I don't expect a monster game from Alex, as he's facing a top 10 (7th ranked) Colts passing defense in their own house.

Keep realistic expectations. Freeney and Mathis and a blitzing Bob Sanders all together are much more difficult to deal with than Mario Williams and a Texans DL. Let's hope Staley can handle Dwight.
I don't know if the Niners will win the game, but I hope Smith has a good start so people don't start getting into QB bashing threads again. The Niners need stability at the QB position.
Mathis and Freeney vs our O-line

Nuff said.
[ Edited by AKfanster on Oct 27, 2009 at 8:06 AM ]
ouch! the line is at 11... I guess that is expected considering how we have played as a team the last few games...
Staley better learn how to defend against the spin-move.

Originally posted by OnTheClock:
I expect us to try very hard to establish the running game. If you can get that going against the Colts, you have a VERY good chance of winning the game. The Colts do not have the greatest rushing defense, but still a half-decent one at least.

Gore needs to light them up to win, and our defense has to step up big-time. We're playing AT Indy so that makes things even more difficult.

I don't expect a monster game from Alex, as he's facing a top 10 (7th ranked) Colts passing defense in their own house.

Keep realistic expectations. Freeney and Mathis and a blitzing Bob Sanders all together are much more difficult to deal with than Mario Williams and a Texans DL. Let's hope Staley can handle Dwight.

Yup. As much as we all want to see Alex throwing the ball like he did last week, we're going to have to be stubborn with the run again. However, I do think we will need to take a couple shots downfield early in the game to keep the D honest, so I hope Raye and Foerster can come up with something to give Alex a little time.

On D, we just need to pull our heads out of our asses. Maybe if MLewis is back that will help somewhat, but if we cover the way we've been covering, Manning will be eating hot dogs before halftime.
The only thing I know and remember about the Colt is the game against the Dolphins. Miami ran all over their defense, kept time of possession, and almost look like they could have won the game. But quick strikes from Manning won it for the Colts.

I hope we could duplicate what the Dolphins did in the running game, coupled that with a dose of Davis and Crabtree, and a defense that can minimized the quick strikes. We might have an major upset
Originally posted by AKfanster:
Mathis and Freeney vs our O-line

Nuff said.

and our defense ranks only 20th for sacks with 13 against the Colts O-Line and Manning's quick release which has protected him so much he has only even been hit 14 times (sacked only twice).
source

He's only been hit 14 times, we've allowed 18 sacks and are going against Freeney and Mathis...

Is there a one week fix that can be installed to make that a bit more even??

Open up holes for Gore
Pass protect
Give Alex time
Use all the WR's
Play action
Use a hard count
If something is working keep doing it
Convert 3rd downs

Clog the running lanes
Attack the ball
Pressure Peyton
Hit Peyton
Sack Peyton
Blitz
Stay tight on the WR's
Hold your ground
Don't give up the big play
Stop them on 3rd down

Don't fumble the ball on ST
Originally posted by HessianDud:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

Yup. As much as we all want to see Alex throwing the ball like he did last week, we're going to have to be stubborn with the run again. However, I do think we will need to take a couple shots downfield early in the game to keep the D honest, so I hope Raye and Foerster can come up with something to give Alex a little time.

On D, we just need to pull our heads out of our asses. Maybe if MLewis is back that will help somewhat, but if we cover the way we've been covering, Manning will be eating hot dogs before halftime.

I don't think we can afford to be stubborn with the run once again. We're not an effective power rushing team. I think we have to come into this game swinging. Go with a more spread attack and use screen passes/ draws to Gore to try and contain Freeney and Mathis. Obviously there has to be a balance, but I don't think this is a game were we can win using big formations and trying to pound the ball down their throat.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Oct 27, 2009 at 9:41 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone