LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 335 users in the forums

Adam Snyder over Marvel Smith

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by BMore9ersfan:
Quote:
It appears that Adam Snyder has won the starting job at right tackle over Marvel Smith. "Adam Snyder is doing very well. I'm very pleasantly surprised with him," the head coach said. "We are going to leave him in that right-tackle position and just let him blossom."

The quote from Singletary doesn't say that Snyder has won the starting position. I read it to say that the coaches like the progression Snyder has shown and decided to stop moving him around and let him concentrate on one position. The first part is just conjecture from the writer.

Interesting take on the quote...I can see it both ways.
Having him focus on one position has made Snyder work hard and that's a good thing. He's young and can learn from a good Vet in Marvel!!!

ANYONE BUT BARRY SIMS...PLEAZE!!!!!
Originally posted by teeohh:
I've never thought much of Snyder...

why?
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by krizay:
So much for all the crazy talk of a top 10 Oline. This is just another unit which will trot out the same ole players.

Can't wait to read how great Snyder is all of a sudden!

I tried to tap down expectations of a URFA coming off of 3 back surgeries. Everyone kept saying "he's been to the pro bowl so..." Of course that was before the Steelers cut him. Starting-caliber OT don't grow on trees so a team that cuts one is doing so usually for good reason - especially an organization like Pittsburgh.

If you don't play practice with your new line and learn the offense by the start of preseason, how suddenly will Smith make an impact if he's never gets time to do reps. Demonstrated caution from the 49ers says that either they don't believe he's fully healed or his injuries have limited him and others can do that job. Snyder is OK but I still think pass-protection will be a big problem this season.

My .02

Marvel Smith has only had two back surgeries and teams do cut starting-caliber tackles(Jonas Jennings) if they feel they are an injury-concern. The 49ers got a talented player in Marvel Smith who could be great for us or he could be a complete bust. All I know is he is a better player than Barry Sims, so I'm happy the 49ers took a chance on him even if it doesn't work out.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Quote:
Man, denial is a biatch!

Couldn't agree more!
This isn't good news at all. so basically the niners are running back the same o line that has given up the most sacks 2 years in a row.

[ Edited by lamontb on Aug 11, 2009 at 11:54:02 ]
Meh. Let's not overreact one way or another.

Oh wait - this is Niner Talk.

Never mind. Carry on.

[ Edited by NineFourNiner on Aug 11, 2009 at 11:53:44 ]
Originally posted by 9erluv415:
Having him focus on one position has made Snyder work hard and that's a good thing. He's young and can learn from a good Vet in Marvel!!!

i dont wanna hear that sorry bums name ever again. i still have that memory of that dolphins gm on the last play
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
Originally posted by 9erluv415:

i dont wanna hear that sorry bums name ever again. i still have that memory of that dolphins gm on the last play

ABS
Originally posted by lamontb:
This isn't good news at all. so basically the niners are running back the same o line that has given up the most sacks 2 years in a row.

the ol actually got better when snyder was inserted over sims later in the season. im not saying well give up only like 30 sacks but i think we can give up between 35-45, which would be a significant improvement from last year's 55.

Sounds like Snyder won the starting job for pre-season game #1 . . .
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by lamontb:

the ol actually got better when snyder was inserted over sims later in the season. im not saying well give up only like 30 sacks but i think we can give up between 35-45, which would be a significant improvement from last year's 55.

That's true but that's just more evidence to prove how bad Sims really is. synder is a hardnose guy and you gotta love him for what he does. I just simply don't think he has the talent to be a full time starter at RT. But I guess we will have to wait and see. Sometimes i forget that half of the problem last year was Martz's scheme. but i'm just not comfortable with this o line especially when it comes to pass protection.
M. Smith isn't playing as much right now as Snyder because coaches are being cautious with his back. But I think they paid him to be a starter. Only if Snyder shows a MAJOR MAJOR improvement during the exhibition games do they decide to go with him.
Looks like we need another right tackle .
Originally posted by AmpLee:
Originally posted by WheresWaldo:
Looks like we need another right tackle .

Dang.... can we get rid of Barry Sims, please!!!!
Share 49ersWebzone