There are 155 users in the forums

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS vs. SEATTLE SEAHAWKS GAMEDAY THREAD (Game 2 [Home Opener])

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Blitz
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
wow, Seahawk fans are alright in my book. Hell, you can come over to my house and f**k my sister.

I wouldn't necessary take that as a complement Hawk fans.

Originally posted by Hawksfan81:
I don't think vernon davis is a "secret" anything. People know about him and he is very good. Just to give you an idea about curry's athletic abilities here are some of his numbers from the combine versus those of the top TE in each category for this last draft plus VDs numbers when he went thru the combine.

40 yard dash
Curry- 4.56 seconds TE- 4.5 seconds VD- 4.38 seconds
Bench
Curry- 25 reps TE- 28 reps VD- 33 reps
Vertical leap
Curry- 37" TE- 41" VD- 42"
Broad jump
Curry- 10'4" TE- 10'3" VD- 10' 8"

Curry is listed as 6'2", 254lbs. VD is listed as 6'3", 250lbs.

Curry was right in there numbers wise with the top TEs in this years draft. VD had better numbers but they are both strong physical guys. I dont know that curry will be the only guy to draw the VD assignment this week, but when he does I think it will be worth paying attention to.

Here is the link to Curry's combine profile if anybody cares.

Curry

that will be a great matchup, I think our OC is going to try to get VD involved very early, I think we will see lot of screens and 5 10 and 15 passes going his way... when we make that important drive in the 4th quater vs. Arizona he had three very important catches two of them for first downs I think, so I guess the OC will look to establish that from the beginning..
  • Blitz
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BETTERDAYZ9ERS:
good team to do it is on the seahags lol, remember frank gore had his best game against the seahags with 212 rushing yards, we can run on the seahags all day long.

Without a doubt gore is one of the reasons the hawks made an effort to improve on run defense this year. We brought in cory redding and colin cole to help with this. We have redding at LE and he is weighing in at about 294lbs. Mebane is playing the 3 technique and he has actually cut weight to get down to 301. Cole is a massive 330lb nose tackle. At RE we have a kerney who is about 274lbs and (knock on wood) is healthy so far. Plus we brought in curry to the LB core which is supposed to be a huge thing for us. Tatupu is always solid. Sucks that hill is out, but we are going to have to deal with that and move on. Then a more well know fact is the new coaching regime. Defensive minded guys that want to make us more aggressive and tough on defense. We gave steven jackson the business last week and I am looking forward to seeing how we handle gore. Like a lot of people have said on here, this game will be a good measuring stick for our teams.
I think a lot of teams, especially in our division will notice how more physical we are now. This is not Martz having JT Sullivan sitting back waiting for receivers to get open.

You're right this is good measuring stick for our teams. If it's new blood in the NFC West then let it be. I just know we are long overdue. We want it bad. A lot pundits think Arizona can still contend for the division. I say SB hangover, plus both coordinators left, too much to overcome. St.Louis better hope they can at least be competitive in games. If not Spags will looking real hard at McCoy, Bradford or Tebow.
[ Edited by Blitz on Sep 16, 2009 at 3:46 PM ]
Quote:

I think a lot of teams, especially in our division will notice how more physical we are now. This is not Martz having JT Sullivan sitting back waiting for receivers to get open.

You're right this is good measuring stick for our teams. If it's new blood in the NFC West then let it be. I just know we are long overdue. We want it bad. A lot pundits think Arizona can still contend for the division. I say SB hangover, plus both coordinators left, too much to overcome. St.Louis better hope they can at least be competitive in games. If not Spags will looking real hard at McCoy, Bradford or Tebow.

I am curious to see the physicality of your team. You can't do the punch them in the mouth and run the ball down their throat thing successfully without having a big physical o-line. I was looking at your depth chart at the 49ers website and it looks like that o-line has a nice mix of youth, experience, and versatility. Lots of guys that have played multiple positions. Something I did notice though was that you only had one FB listed on the depth chart. Does one of the backup RBs also double as a backup FB? Or do you guys normally just carry one? I truly am looking forward to watching your running game versus our run d this week though. Should be very telling.
[ Edited by Hawksfan81 on Sep 16, 2009 at 3:50 PM ]
I've always wondered - what does it feel like to lose a Super Bowl? Can you shed some light on it for us? We've been 5 times and haven't quite managed to lose yet.
We can't start comparing Carlson to Fitzgerald. Besides corners will not cover Carlson. That task will be up to our LB's. Willis, enough said about his abilities. The key is Manny Lawson. This guy freakishly athletic. He has enough speed to cover most TE's. He goes against Vernon Davis everyday in practice. Davis has to be the fastest TE in the league. Lawson has done well in coverage when asked to.

I'm not comparing Carlson to Fitzgerald except in pure physical size, which is an important factor in regards to someone covering you while catching.
Quote:

I am curious to see the physicality of your team. You can't do the punch them in the mouth and run the ball down their throat thing successfully without having a big physical o-line. I was looking at your depth chart at the 49ers website and it looks like that o-line has a nice mix of youth, experience, and versatility. Lots of guys that have played multiple positions. Something I did notice though was that you only had one FB listed on the depth chart. Does one of the backup RBs also double as a backup FB? Or do you guys normally just carry one? I truly am looking forward to watching your running game versus our run d this week though. Should be very telling.

Physical on both offense and defense. The O-Line needs to come together. Could be this game. We carry 1 FB, Moran Norris and another RB/FB/QB/WR in Michael Robinson. He is a load for his size just ask Brian Dawkins.
  • Blitz
  • Veteran
Cole's been known to get blown off the line of scrimmage, all 300+ 3 cheeseburgers LBS of him. Taking a double team and holding a double team are two completely different things. He can take em', but holding them has been not as cut and dry. It remains to be seen if that was an upgrade or not.

Mebane is your main man and I'm not sure moving him this year is going to equate to something better than where he was. He was doing pretty good right where he was.

Kerney moving ....he may not be on the strong side, but he's going up against what is typically the side that has the better pass blocker. Again, not sure if moving him is going to equate to something better than where he was.
[ Edited by Blitz on Sep 16, 2009 at 3:53 PM ]
Originally posted by RolandDeschain:
Originally posted by PRIMETIME21:
Originally posted by DJD:
This game for some reason is making more nervous than last weeks game did. I'm resting my confidence on the Fysicality of the niners overpowering Seattle's veteran program.

haha they got a new headcoach, and they were playing at home against the worst team in the nfl. Im not worried at all, cardinals are two time the team seattle is, and were at home. 28-17 niners

Primetime, after we beat you, I'm going to come back and make a post asking you to take back your statement about Arizona being twice the team we are.

In other news - hello, SF fans! Another Seahawks fan here reading 49er forums to see what's what from your perspective. I'm not guaranteeing a win - nobody can do that in this league, that's why there are always some major upsets every year, to prove that point - but I'm guaranteeing that it's NOT going to be some big blowout if you DO win. Our defense looks vastly improved overall, our biggest weakness there being our corners; Trufant out and all, but Ken Lucas has looked good enough to not cause much concern thus far on his side, at least.

As for our offense: yes, Hasselbeck threw two interceptions, but as previously stated, one was bounced off the hands of a WR and caught by a Lambs defender. The other pick was all on Hasselbeck, though; he simply threw too late, and should not have made the throw. Realistically, the game score should have been 28-3 since Josh Brown, our previous kicker, missed a field goal from ~30-some yards out. I honestly think that was due completely to our 12th man; we booed him so loudly I'm surprised the ground didn't crack open. The Lambs also had four false starts on the day, so that never hurts ;)

The 49ers look improved this year, but as many of you have stated, I'm definitely not sold on your offense thus far. Arizona was sloppy across the board in most respects. Congrats on the win, but like ours, it wasn't definitive. (although you still have to admit, a shutout is some well-played defense no matter WHO you're playing against)

I'm disappointed that we won't have Leroy Hill until the season is half over, but you have to expect injuries in football, that's all there is to it. Luckily for your defense, Walter Jones will most likely not be playing this week. You guys have the opportunity to go 2-0.

That said, I am more confident now than I was by a long shot before our season opener; I'm not talking about the shutout aspect of our game, but just the overall management and performance of it. I liked our playcalling and scheming on both sides of the ball very much.

24-16 Seahawks; may the best team win, and nice to meet you all

Lucky for us Walter Jones won't be playing? It's to be expected. Your team is the most brittle, injury-prone team possibly in the entire NFL.

How often are Branch, Burleson, Trufant, W Jones, Hasselbeck hurt? Answer: pretty often. Why? Because your team is old and soft.

BTW, congratulations to your win against possibly the worst team in the NFL (rams) and you are right. It's not easy to shut out a professional team in the NFL no matter who they are.
Originally posted by Blitz:
wow, Seahawk fans are alright in my book. Hell, you can come over to my house and f**k my sister.

i've known him longer and he still hasn't let me f**k his sister

Originally posted by teeohh:

i've known him longer and he still hasn't let me f**k his sister

that's cuz i want you to myself.
Originally posted by T83RR:
I've always wondered - what does it feel like to lose a Super Bowl? Can you shed some light on it for us? We've been 5 times and haven't quite managed to lose yet.

Aaah. Very clever, passive agressive cheap shot. Rams fans brought up that loss last week too. I'll bite this time. The answer is....... it sucks! Never going to get it back so you do the short memory thing and move on. I know all the rings you guys have weigh your hand down so you can't relate. But its been so long since you got a new one that by now that hand has to have arthritis and I bet those rings are getting pretty rusty. lol.
Quote:

Physical on both offense and defense. The O-Line needs to come together. Could be this game. We carry 1 FB, Moran Norris and another RB/FB/QB/WR in Michael Robinson. He is a load for his size just ask Brian Dawkins.

I have seen VD and DWalker use as FB or H-Backs also.... we will play two TE alot DW is like a reciver in a TE body..
Cole's been known to get blown off the line of scrimmage, all 300+ 3 cheeseburgers LBS of him. Taking a double team and holding a double team are two completely different things. He can take em', but holding them has been not as cut and dry. It remains to be seen if that was an upgrade or not.

Mebane is your main man and I'm not sure moving him this year is going to equate to something better than where he was. He was doing pretty good right where he was.

Kerney moving ....he may not be on the strong side, but he's going up against what is typically the side that has the better pass blocker. Again, not sure if moving him is going to equate to something better than where he was.

I guess the logic with moving kerney was partly due to injury prevention. He won't have to deal with double teams as much this way and they are thinking that will help him stay on the field. Which isn't something he was able to do last year.
Originally posted by servegmo:
Quote:

I have seen VD and DWalker use as FB or H-Backs also.... we will play two TE alot DW is like a reciver in a TE body..

Very true. Vernon is a very good blocker as well as Delanie.
Share 49ersWebzone