There are 162 users in the forums

As of right now the WR corps is the same as last year.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by djfullshred:
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by WestCoast:
Battle is a 4th or 5th starter at best right now, I dont care what he does in practice because I've already seen him the past 5 years.

so have I and he has been consistantly the best WR we have had. The man is a reliable target for the QB's

People don't like Battle because of his injuries. They look at the statistics and they aren't that good; but that's because he is usually hurt half the year.

When healthy, he is both a very underrated athlete and player.

*Response to the topic*
The WR corps is the "same" as last year, but its not really that simple.
Morgan had a staff infection last year at the very beginning of the season, then hurt his ankle late in the season.
Loosing 15 lbs in a couple weeks is no joke. Loosing 15 lbs in the first two weeks of your first NFL season?
Its amazing he was able to accomplish anything last year.
If he is healthy, that gives us a huge boost over last year.

If Battle is healthy, that also gives us a boost from last year.

Jones will miss the first few weeks, but should be playing most of the season. So he will also give us a boost from last year.

If I were to guess, i would guess Crabtree will sign, so in probability, we should receive a boost from him later in the season.

Everything else is a wash I think.

But don't forget Hill is 7-3, and Smith looks healthy.

You used the phrase "because he is usually hurt half the year", which is interesting in contrast to actual games played by Battle...

2004 - 14 games
2005 - 10 games
2006 - 16 games
2007 - 16 games
2008 - 9 games

He has been hurt for about half a season before, but not "usually".

Battle for Pres!!!
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
Crab, Morgan, and Bruce.

Followed by Ziggy, JHill, and Battle

I love our receiving core.
Why does everyone keep throwing Crabtree in the starting line up when the guy hasn't even put on a set of pads yet? Crabtree is fighting for a roster spot just like the rest of the draft class. If he PROVES that he can be a starter than so be it. But to just throw him in as a starter?

Why does everyone keep throwing Crabtree in the starting line up when the guy hasn't even put on a set of pads yet? Crabtree is fighting for a roster spot just like the rest of the draft class. If he PROVES that he can be a starter than so be it. But to just throw him in as a starter?

wouldn't really say he's fighting for a roster spot
Originally posted by DANADA:

why is that? I have seen 1rst rounders get cut so why can't Crabtree get cut? Is he superman?

why is that? I have seen 1rst rounders get cut so why can't Crabtree get cut? Is he superman?

Who?
Originally posted by natrone06:

Who?

Didn't the raiders cut their first round pick a few years ago?

Who?

who lol
Originally posted by King49er:

Who?

who lol

trying to think of the name. He was a DE/OLB if I remember. I think he ended up getting picked up by Miami. I could be wrong he might not have been a 1rst round pick.

I retract my statement. Right position wrong name

[ Edited by backontop on Aug 11, 2009 at 18:24:05 ]

Who?

who lol

trying to think of the name. He was a DE/OLB if I remember. I think he ended up getting picked up by Miami. I could be wrong he might not have been a 1rst round pick.

Jim Druckenmiller was a 1st rounder. So was Rashaun Woods. If you draft a guy at 10, you pay him #10 money, and not a penny more. No guarantee he will live up to the legend in his own mind.

Who?

who lol

Jim Druckenmiller was a 1st rounder. So was Rashaun Woods. If you draft a guy at 10, you pay him #10 money, and not a penny more. No guarantee he will live up to the legend in his own mind.

yes but neither were cut the same year they were drafted. That is what I was trying to get at. For some reason I was thinking of Groves's name but Moses's story.

Who?

who lol

yes but neither were cut the same year they were drafted. That is what I was trying to get at. For some reason I was thinking of Groves's name but Moses's story.

Yeah I hear ya, so not a good comparison.

Where I am coming from on my tangent here is the 49ers have had guys drafted in the first round that barely got a sniff of the grass. They are not going to annoint Crabtree as a starter before earning it. Nor are they going to pay him more than he is slotted worth, knowing that guys don't always live up to the hype.
It's much better than last year. The most important thing is for the first time we have real depth. When Crabtree signs and Jones returns it will be even better. It's now a strength, not a weakness.
Originally posted by crzy:
Crab, Morgan, and Bruce.

Followed by Ziggy, JHill, and Battle

I love our receiving core.

Sounds like it might be good, but definite question marks. Crabtree, who knows. He is a rookie. Morgan should be good, but definently not a sure thing. The following three are unknow to most out of the niner fan base. I hope everyone is right, I just think a lot of people are somewhat overrating our receiving core. We have potential, but there is obviouls risks of having an average at best receiving core...
Bruce is already the one guy that Raye states is a lock ------ MR consistent.

Morgan is o longer suffering from the results of his Staph infection and is healthy and having another good camp.

Battle who is also healthy and having a good camp ------ he was very productive last season until he got dinged up.

Honorable mention goes to Zeigler who has caught the eye of many writers including Gil Brandt in camp practices so far ------ will it translate to game time ? I bet yes.

Brandon Jones was having a great camp so his eventual return should bode well.

And then there is Jason hill who was good last year but had the hamstring thing during OTA's and has been pretty quiet so far during this camp.

And then there is Crabtree maybe later in the season ?

I can see why Singletary feels pretty good with what he has.
Share 49ersWebzone