There are 71 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Mike Johnson OC

• TFSP
Originally posted by 49ersRednGold:
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Id be for it Pat, sounds good.

Also, agree with others, need to get Brandon Jones in there, we paid his butt 15M and we keep him on the bench and as PR, which he isnt suited for. So play him Sing and Raye.

4 WR sets with Crabtree, Morgan, Hill and Jones. Really wish to see that before season's end.

And I am so tired of the pseudo 4 WR sets with Crabtree, Morgan, Davis and Walker. Walker is a mismatch physically but he hasn't done jack about 99% of the time while we've used that formation.

No, VD, and DW need to be in there 65% of time in this formation. We will be able to run more out of this formation. 1 of Franky G's talents is his shiftiness. You can tell when he runs out of this formation, he looks like he's having fun reading the blocks, and he get's to pick a lane.

There's WAY more mystery that we can produce with this line up. As a matter of fact next year, I'd like them to keep a TE from the draft, and the type similar to that type of Green Bay's tight end that was killing us. A real fluid type TE.
  • Mex49
Too bad Singletary is the real problem
Originally posted by redrathman:
Quote:
Johnson coached the quarterbacks at Oregon State in 1999 after serving as the Beavers wide receivers coach from 1997 to 1998.

Weird. I remember a certain Beavers Head Coach jumping ship in 2003 to coach the San Francisco 49ers after four seasons beginning in 1999.

HE HAS RETURNED.

WHAT THE HELL

Originally posted by pd24:
Quote:
The most logical successor is QBs coach Mike Johnson, who spent his year away from football last season completing his communications degree and learning more about the spread offense.

http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/2009/11/49ers-need-continuity-on-offense.html

I think he is the man for the job.

Very interesting!
We've been here before. *Ahem* Mike Hostler. I don't care that Hostler didn't have an Offensive background. Doesn't and won't even matter that Johnson DOES.

Sing is the HNWIC and no Coordinator is going to tell him what this team is going to run, regardless if the things they run now make absolutely no sense to be running.

I'm not even going to lay the blame at Raye's feet because he OBVIOUSLY can run an Offense in Spread formation. You think changing OCs' is going to make a damn difference?

If so then I'm on board. If only so I can come back at ya later. Let it go.

~Ceadder
  • pd24
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
We've been here before. *Ahem* Mike Hostler. I don't care that Hostler didn't have an Offensive background. Doesn't and won't even matter that Johnson DOES.

Sing is the HNWIC and no Coordinator is going to tell him what this team is going to run, regardless if the things they run now make absolutely no sense to be running.

I'm not even going to lay the blame at Raye's feet because he OBVIOUSLY can run an Offense in Spread formation. You think changing OCs' is going to make a damn difference?

If so then I'm on board. If only so I can come back at ya later. Let it go.

~Ceadder
It helps when an OC can call plays at the right time and knows how to mix stuff up instead of trying the same thing week after week, and then after we give up 3 TD's we switch into another dimension. He needs to mix the spread in when the game is close.
you guys want someone that has no oc experience to be our oc coach? you gotta be kidding me, do you remember the last time that happend
Looking over his coaching resume, I gotta say I don't think it's a very good idea for him to be installed as OC. Not yet at least for the reasons stated below:

-Derrick Mason was already a Pro Bowler when Mike Johnson arrived in Baltimore. And the bit about Mark Clayton is forgettable when you consider that 1) He was playing opposite Derrick Mason, and 2) "posting three touchdowns of 62-or-more-yards" over an entire season is hardly impressive.

-His performance in Atlanta...again, it's a wash. Personally, I can't say that he did a good job. True enough that Vick is a damn fine athlete, but he's always been a horrible QB. Vick never had any pocket presence. Never threw for more than 3,000 yards. And while he has a cannon for an arm, he couldn't hit the broad side of a bus if he had to.

Not exactly the kind of coaching product you brag about.

-As with Baltimore, it's not clear how well he did in San Diego because Doug Flutie was already an established talent when he arrived.

So to summarize, we'd be replacing someone who has actual playcalling experience, with someone that only called plays in two games three years ago (and only when the games didn't matter), and at best is a marginal position coach.

...Unless we're going the "anyone but Jimmy Raye" route, I think this would be a huge mistake.
[ Edited by baltien on Nov 24, 2009 at 2:28 PM ]
Originally posted by lamontb:
I honestly don't know enough about this guy.

Ditto. This reminds me too much of the Singletary fans saying they wanted him as headcoach before the firing of Nolan.

There was nothing but a great player and the promise of brighter days behind the movement to make Singletary the headcoach. Singletary was a mystery to most rational fans.

I guess with Mike Johnson we can say he's in our system teaching the QB but that doesn't tell us anything. Honestly I have to question anyone's rational for pushing hard for this guy. I'm not opposed to the move but I would like some reasons other than "he'll keep the same offensive" system.
Based on two games of playcalling and an offseason trip to Illinois? I'm not saying he won't be good, but what is there really to get excited about? I know the Matt's keep saying that the team thinks he's a bright offensive mind, but compared to what? Jimmy Raye? That's not really saying much...
The sad part is that even if Mike Johnson is an offensive genius, Singletary wouldn't be able to see it if it slapped him in the face.

This is why we need a GM who KNOWS football, especially offense. If the GM was hands-on enough in terms of observations in practice, and let's say Johnson was an offensive Genius, a good GM would give his two sense.

Unfortunately, we have NO ONE on our staff that understands a good offensive mind when they see one.
  • Nes49
  • Veteran
My if the system stays intact....(THE SPREADCOAST) THAT IS.
I really would like to see this guy move up in the ranks. I know when Singletary hired Raye it was in hopes that Mike Johnson would one day take over the continuity of the offense. This guy has the personality, teaching, and knowledge to make our currently constructed team play better in my opinion.

“I tell the quarterbacks, ‘If you do something on the field that is not technically sound and I haven’t put you through that drill, that’s my fault,’” Johnson said. “As soon as I put them through that drill, they become accountable.”

Johnson, 42, is considered one of the game’s bright young coaches...(In 2008) He visited Ohio State, where he spent time with coach Jim Tressel and quarterbacks coach Joe Daniels, his former mentor at Akron. He also met with Ron Zook’s staff at Illinois. Johnson sees Illinois’ spread offense as the most applicable to the NFL game because of the Illini’s ability to run the ball successfully.

“Mike has everything it takes to be a successful coordinator or head coach in the NFL,” said Oregon State coach Mike Riley, the man Johnson calls his greatest coaching influence.

QB 101

During his time as quarterbacks coach for the Atlanta Falcons in 2001, Johnson helped develop the run-happy Vick into a Pro Bowl passer. Following the firing of head coach Dan Reeves, interim head coach Wade Phillips made Johnson the offensive play caller for the Atlanta Falcons for the final two games of the 2003 season. In those games, Vick and the Falcon’s offense performed tremendously. This included a 30 point performance against the Buccaneers and a 21 point contest against the Jacksonville Jaguars, two teams renown for their stingy defenses. In the Tampa Bay contest, Vick posted a 119.2 quarterback rating, his second highest of the season.
QB Coach MJ
Every time I read his name fast I think its "My johnson"
has the zone lost its mind? we all remember the last time we hired a oc with no experience

plus, what has johnson done to prove anything? some of the people in zone are really begining to disapoint me