LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 328 users in the forums

Mike Johnson OC

Shop Find 49ers gear online
One of the Matts needs to interview Shaun Hill and get his thoughts on this topic.
  • PaulW
  • Veteran
Originally posted by fanmusclecars:
According to Matt Barrows, Jason Michael was in-charge of calling the plays to Smith last year. He has experience in Raye's system with their time together in New York. Just continue to let him "fill in the gaps."

link

He didn't call the plays he relayed Jimmy Raye's calls to Alex.
Originally posted by WestCoast:
Originally posted by fanmusclecars:
I thought of this idea late season last year.

Smith and Johnson seem to have a good rapport. Mike Johnson could call the plays on the sideline. All adjustments could be discussed with Jimmy Raye during timeouts and halftime.

LOL I wouldn't even want Raye's input on anything. Let Johnson and Smith discuss the adjustments at halftime. Raye is just a joke.

They don't make "adjustments." They are a smash mouth team and will ram it down the opponents throat. If that doesn't work, they run it some more!
Originally posted by WestCoast:
Originally posted by mcbaes72:
After this season, Johnson needs to be promoted to OC and Raye needs to be promoted to retirement. Otherwise, I wouldn't be surprised if Johnson found an OC job elsewhere and we're stuck with Raye for another season.

well singletary is an idiot so im sure he'd let johnson go and keep raye

If that were to happen, they'll both be out of a job by the end of next season at the latest. Singletary made a TERRIBLE choice on this OC!
anyone can do a better job than raye.
Answer is very simple:

1. Give Raye and Johnson a sheet of paper with all the plays numbered 1-100. All Raye has to do is give Johnson one number;

2. Cut off Raye's mike after 5 seconds so if he hasn't called the play, Johnson will do it.
This is why we needed an offensive minded head coach. The fact that were dealing with this now is ridiculous.
Gee, could have had Shanahan or Holmgren.
Originally posted by rapid4:
Answer is very simple:

1. Give Raye and Johnson a sheet of paper with all the plays numbered 1-100. All Raye has to do is give Johnson one number;

2. Cut off Raye's mike after 5 seconds so if he hasn't called the play, Johnson will do it.

This is pretty good idea
Originally posted by nw9erfan:
To answer the question, yes, allow Mike Johnson to call the plays....and here are the reasons why....

First, he would do it quicker and crisper and allow Alex to read the defense and make adjustments at the line.

Second, he would undoubtedly be more innovative (and this is so badly needed as many of you have stated).

Third, he would also be more likely to try to exploit weaknesses in the defense (for example, a rookie CB or a slow LB or a light DLman)...

Fourth, because he has worked with Alex so much (groomed him basically), he more than anyone else is going to have an idea of what Alex is capable of in every situation and therefore put Alex in the best position possible to be successful.

Fifth, he would allow (and hopefully encourage) Alex to change the play at the line as he saw fit, thereby giving Alex more responsibility and more respect from the team.

Sixth, he would utilize the team's weapons better.....for example, Brian Westbrook, who we didn't even see on Sunday.

There are probably a few more but I will leave that to the capable minds of the Zoners...

Execellent post!!!
Im liking this idea more & more. Jimmy Raye is a bufoon! Toss his a$$ !!!!!!!

why not?
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
He most likely will be the playcaller next year after another year under Raye.

[ Edited by mayo63 on Sep 16, 2010 at 06:32:05 ]
Originally posted by rapid4:
Answer is very simple:

That's what I was thinking. Hell, and if Alex worst a wrist band. Johnson could even relay the number in a pinch.

IMO though, this is ridiculous that Raye can't say the plays. I don't understand how he could've made it this long, at a high level, and not even be able to say the play.
Originally posted by Method:
f**k Jimmy Raye. This should not even be an issue in the NFL, I've never seen this before in my life. It's obviously affecting the offense because the play calls on 3rd and 1's and 4th and 1's have been terrible + coming in way too late.

he had to think how to give it to the f**king FB !

pass or run , pass over thrown , run stuffed !
I say no because, why is he more qualified than Raye? If Johnson was all that he would probably be an offensive coordinator. That being said I do not like Jimmy Raye but those teams that fired their offensive coordinator before the season started or after the season started didn't do very well.
Share 49ersWebzone