LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 249 users in the forums

Mike Johnson OC

Shop Find 49ers gear online
It isn't the fact Mike Johnson could take over but the fact the niners should be farsighted enough to replace everyone from Jed on down with quality or at least know who could and have enough on the ball to not be caught with their balls hanging in the breeze.
He may eventually be a good OC, but I think he should keep doin whatever hes doin w/ Alex, cause even though Im not big on Smith, I will admit that Ive seen some improvement.
I know Raye deserves some criticism...but you also have to realize he was pretty limited in what he felt the offense could execute (particularly the OL) last year. With Alex's newfound confidence, Crabtree in his 2nd year, Morgan continuing to develop, newcomer Williams (whom I predict will play a key role), Vernon, Walker, new bruiser TE Byham, Gore, Coffee in his 2nd year, and the new "horse" Dixon, plus the two new big guys up front, Raye should have considerably less reservations about expanding his game playbook. If that happens, then I see much of the criticism waning...if not, then I'd agree, he needs to go. But, Singletary will want to have full confidence in his replacement...whether it's Mike Johnson or whomever.
  • JC49
  • Veteran
I would be thrilled to see Johnson as the OC. He's an up and comer. I think if we don't give him the position we will lose him eventually. As far as changng OCs again we wouldn't need to change our system. Our approach and play calling does need to change. I'd settle for Johnson calling the plays but I don't see how that happens unless Raye is on his way out or gone.
f**k Jimmy Raye. This should not even be an issue in the NFL, I've never seen this before in my life. It's obviously affecting the offense because the play calls on 3rd and 1's and 4th and 1's have been terrible + coming in way too late.
  • Veteran
What can we lose?

[ Edited by 190836 on Sep 15, 2010 at 08:27:00 ]
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
He cant do any worse. So yes
Originally posted by Method:
f**k Jimmy Raye. This should not even be an issue in the NFL, I've never seen this before in my life. It's obviously affecting the offense because the play calls on 3rd and 1's and 4th and 1's have been terrible + coming in way too late.

+1
Mike Johnson served as the quarterbacks coach for the Atlanta Falcons from 2003 to 2005 where he worked with Quarterback Michael Vick. In 2003, Mike Johnson was the Offensive Coordinator for the last two games of the season under interim Head Coach Wade Phillips.

offensive stats from the 2 games

I would rather have Smith take it upon himself when the coaching staff can't get the plays in on time.
Originally posted by susweel:

this.

before, i would say that i don't know enough about johnson yet to jump on his bandwagon, but, for f**ks sake, after reading that report on yahoo, THIS SH*T HAS GOT TO STOP. Give the keys to Johnson and see what happens.
Originally posted by susweel:
LET HIM CALL THE PLAYS! FIRE JIMMY RAYS AZZ OR MAKE HIM RESIGN! REACTIVATE NATE DAVIS AND LET THAT YOUNG MAN DO WHAT HE DOES BEST AND THATS WIN!!! CUT DAVID CARR, BENCH ALEXIS SMITH AND LETS KICK AZZ!!! *ALL HAIL THE 49ERS*
well its going to happen next year no matter what anyways, so why not start it this year. so much for continuity.....
Share 49ersWebzone