There are 222 users in the forums

Mike Johnson OC

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Yeah lets change OC's again
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:

i am not for this but if we did it wouldnt be so different epecially for alex since they practically work together so often

and btw raye may not be the best OC in the world but he isnt horrible and no team is gonna take him from us
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

i am not for this but if we did it wouldnt be so different epecially for alex since they practically work together so often

and btw raye may not be the best OC in the world but he isnt horrible and no team is gonna take him from us

Why does that scream of Hostler all over again?

Give Raye another year, if we don't improve enough then he will be gone and I'd support Johnson.

Give Raye another year, if we don't improve enough then he will be gone and I'd support Johnson.

Obviously Jimmy Raye is here to stay for 2010, but we need to have a plan for the future (which is something the 49ers never did very well under Mike Nolan). Unless he is fired sooner, I expect Jimmy Raye to retire within the next year or two. That is when I can see Mike Johnson assuming the Offensive Coordinator duties.

[ Edited by PTulini on May 1, 2010 at 16:44:27 ]
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Originally posted by PTulini:

Obviously Jimmy Raye is here to stay for 2010, but we need to have a plan for the future (which is something the 49ers never did very well under Mike Nolan). Unless he is fired sooner, I expect Jimmy Raye to retire within the next year or two. That is when I can see Mike Johnson assuming the Offensive Coordinator duties.

I can buy using Johnson in 2011, from the title i assumed you wanted him in right now.

I can buy using Johnson in 2011, from the title i assumed you wanted him in right now.

I did at the time I started this thread. I don't have a problem with Jimmy Raye, I just wist he would be a more creative play-caller. He's been too predictable.

I did at the time I started this thread. I don't have a problem with Jimmy Raye, I just wist he would be a more creative play-caller. He's been too predictable.

Yea lets hope Raye is not as predictable this year!
I would like to see what he can do. Its obvious to me he and Alex Smith have a good rapport. I wonder how much the play-calling would change if Mike Johnson took over? I've heard that he did study the spread formation at Illinois during his year out of the NFL. He has even called plays in the past...

Quote:
BIOGRAPHY

Mike Johnson enters his first season with the 49ers after being named the quarterbacks coach on February 6, 2009.

Johnson had most recently served as the wide receivers coach in Baltimore from 2006 to 2007. With the Ravens, he helped 12-year veteran receiver Derrick Mason record his then-sixth 1,000-yard season in 2007. Mason tallied 1,087 yards on 103 receptions with five touchdowns, leading the team in all receiving categories. A year prior, WR Mark Clayton developed into the Ravens top deep threat and playmaker, posting three touchdowns of 62-or-more yards in 2006.

Prior to joining Baltimore, Johnson spent three years as the quarterbacks coach with the Atlanta Falcons, tutoring three-time Pro Bowl quarterback Michael Vick. Vick put up 2,412 passing yards and 15 touchdowns, while ranking second on the team with 597 rushing yards and six touchdowns, in 2005. In 2004, Vick became the first NFL quarterback to throw for more than 250 yards and run for more than 100 yards in a single game (at Den. 10/31/04).

In 2003, Interim Head Coach Wade Phillips asked Johnson to call the Falcons offensive plays for the final two games of the season. In those two contests, Vick compiled his second-highest quarterback rankings of the year (119.2 at Tampa Bay, 12-20-03, and 93.0 vs. Jacksonville, 12-28-03). In 2002, Johnson guided a young receiving corps that included WR Brian Finneran, who had the best year of his career, recording 838 yards on 56 receptions and six touchdowns.

From 2000 to 2001, Johnson served as the quarterbacks coach for the San Diego Chargers. Under Johnson’s guidance, Doug Flutie amassed career-highs with 3,464 yards passing and 294 completions in 2001. Flutie’s passing yards that season were the most for a Chargers quarterback since Dan Fouts put up 3,638 yards in 1985. During the 2001 campaign, Flutie threw for more than 300 yards on four occasions.

Johnson coached the quarterbacks at Oregon State in 1999 after serving as the Beavers wide receivers coach from 1997 to 1998.

Johnson played five pro seasons as a quarterback, beginning his career as a rookie free agent with the Arizona Cardinals in 1990. After being released as part of the team’s final cuts of training camp that season, Johnson played two years for the San Antonio Riders of the World League. Johnson moved to the Canadian Football league in 1992 and quarterbacked the British Columbia Lions for two seasons. From 1994 to 1995, he quarterbacked the CFL’s Shreveport Pirates for his final two pro playing years.

Johnson was the backup quarterback at ASU from 1985 to 1986, but then transferred to Mesa Community College, where he became a Junior College All-American in 1987. Johnson then transferred to the University of Akron for two years (1988-89) and was named Akron’s Athlete of the Year in 1990.

I think he could do a good job.

Right cause he did such a great job with Alex smith.

EVERYONE has good highlights! What have they done lately is whats important.
I've said it before: Johnson will be the next OC and the process starts in earnest this year. I would not be surprised to see him "promoted" to "Assistant OC" before the season ends.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
I'm no big fan of jimmyrae who i think was a huge improvement over HOSE. Hose was the worst i have ever seen, norv just was here looking for a big gig, and jimmyrae has finally brot continuity to our OC slot, which i think was bigMikes' plan. Also MJ somehow appeared on the scene, and i would be interested if that was bigmIke's plan also...to groom him under jimmyrae. If so, i can sure find no fault with that. But looking at the bio, MJ's is a very impressive one, and he was highly recommended by his coaching tutors. Jimmyrae is probably okay for this yr, maybe even desirable.

But if we have the OL, the WRs, the TEs the RB, the Qb and still look like we don't know what we are doing on O by midseason, i would really think about a change of OC then. What i suspect is a marked improvement on O, i expect to see 3rd and 3 being made more often than not, and i also expect to see no 8-10 guys in a box on us. I also expect to see sustained drives, a lot of passing game once we have let the opponents know we are going to run , successfully, on them, and i expect to see no more qB muggings. If we don't achieve these very achievable goals, then it is time for jimmyrae to leave.

As far as the comment, having continuity is better than having a better OC, i respectfully disagree. If the goals are met because we finally have an OL, then i don't care. But if our guys play their hearts out, only to lose, then we need a new OC, and should be considering another HC also. Baalke has given us what we needed. It is bigmike's and jimmyrae's job to "git er done".

We will learn a lot by how bigmike manages games this yr. I hope he has been taking notes and doesn't make mistakes already made. He still has to prove his worth to keep his job, and same goes for JR. Difference is, this team has some real talent this yr, and if OC or HC squander it, they WILL be holding us back.

I was reading an article on Yahoo about Boone and at the bottom of the article was a comment by Raye about A. Smith whom Raye feels has changed radically in his attitude and confidence. This is the change we have been looking for in Smith since he came, to have enough confidence to know what he is doing in the same offense.

Sing has created an environment where this year there is continuity. The team knows where they are going for the first time in 5 years. Same system, same OC, same focus, same language, etc. Joe Jon Finley, in the Rookie OTA video stated that they are at the same level of awareness that they were last year at mid-season. Now that is quite the statement to me. They are crisp, they know what they are doing, and now they can refine and smooth out the process, get the timing down, and get the plays thorough. That is good news to me.

In addition we have two new coaches to focus on the Oline, our greatest problem. I believe that we will field a more stable, consistent, and talented line and we should have a 25% to 50% improvement in play simply because of the oline.

One of the benefactors of improved oline play will be A. Smith. If he can consistently get one second more time to assess we will have improvement in his play. In addition he knows the system and he is not learning a new system. We will now get to see a facet of Smith we have never seen before, what he is like the second year in the same system. If we get 15%-25% improvement in his play it will be a monster year for him and for the team.

Lastly, I believe that Sing has Johnson on board to insure OC consistency. Raye is the old master Yoda and Johnson/Rathman can be the new young bucks learning the system and when they become OCs they will have their unique twists but still in the same basic system. So all around I see improvement in the offense for the Niners this year. I see 9-6 to 12-4 for the team and improved play from Smith, the oline, Gore, Crabtree, and Davis.

I believe Johnson will be the OC next year regardless of how Raye does this year (well unless maybe we win a SB).

Remember that Johnson was hired before Raye even though Sing was planning on letting the OC hire his own QB coach. So Johnson must've had an impressive interview and Sing likely envisioned him as someone with more talent than being a QB coach.

My guess Sing wasn't comfortable with handing the OC duties to Johnson out right and preferred someone with experience in Raye to lay down the foundation and get the ball rolling to hand off to Johnson.

So now if Johnson does take over in 2011 he'll already have a experience with all the players and coaches on top of not having to worry about installing an offense but being able to build on it. In that regard he will have a much easier time transitioning to OC than he would if he just got hired into the spot.

Experiencing how crippling it was for the team to go with new OCs and new offensive systems year to year I'm sure Sing is completely bent on making sure that doesn't happen. I think he's attempting to do what the Patriots do. They lose an OC, they promote a guy on the staff, and keep the offense going without missing a beat. I think that's why Sing made it a point to have Johnson and Rathman on his staff because they are guys that can call plays and be promoted to that spot.

[ Edited by Jikkle49 on May 2, 2010 at 09:26:43 ]
Originally posted by Ninefan56:
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
I'm no big fan of jimmyrae who i think was a huge improvement over HOSE. Hose was the worst i have ever seen, norv just was here looking for a big gig, and jimmyrae has finally brot continuity to our OC slot, which i think was bigMikes' plan. Also MJ somehow appeared on the scene, and i would be interested if that was bigmIke's plan also...to groom him under jimmyrae. If so, i can sure find no fault with that. But looking at the bio, MJ's is a very impressive one, and he was highly recommended by his coaching tutors. Jimmyrae is probably okay for this yr, maybe even desirable.

But if we have the OL, the WRs, the TEs the RB, the Qb and still look like we don't know what we are doing on O by midseason, i would really think about a change of OC then. What i suspect is a marked improvement on O, i expect to see 3rd and 3 being made more often than not, and i also expect to see no 8-10 guys in a box on us. I also expect to see sustained drives, a lot of passing game once we have let the opponents know we are going to run , successfully, on them, and i expect to see no more qB muggings. If we don't achieve these very achievable goals, then it is time for jimmyrae to leave.

As far as the comment, having continuity is better than having a better OC, i respectfully disagree. If the goals are met because we finally have an OL, then i don't care. But if our guys play their hearts out, only to lose, then we need a new OC, and should be considering another HC also. Baalke has given us what we needed. It is bigmike's and jimmyrae's job to "git er done".

We will learn a lot by how bigmike manages games this yr. I hope he has been taking notes and doesn't make mistakes already made. He still has to prove his worth to keep his job, and same goes for JR. Difference is, this team has some real talent this yr, and if OC or HC squander it, they WILL be holding us back.

I was reading an article on Yahoo about Boone and at the bottom of the article was a comment by Raye about A. Smith whom Raye feels has changed radically in his attitude and confidence. This is the change we have been looking for in Smith since he came, to have enough confidence to know what he is doing in the same offense.

Sing has created an environment where this year there is continuity. The team knows where they are going for the first time in 5 years. Same system, same OC, same focus, same language, etc. Joe Jon Finley, in the Rookie OTA video stated that they are at the same level of awareness that they were last year at mid-season. Now that is quite the statement to me. They are crisp, they know what they are doing, and now they can refine and smooth out the process, get the timing down, and get the plays thorough. That is good news to me.

In addition we have two new coaches to focus on the Oline, our greatest problem. I believe that we will field a more stable, consistent, and talented line and we should have a 25% to 50% improvement in play simply because of the oline.

One of the benefactors of improved oline play will be A. Smith. If he can consistently get one second more time to assess we will have improvement in his play. In addition he knows the system and he is not learning a new system. We will now get to see a facet of Smith we have never seen before, what he is like the second year in the same system. If we get 15%-25% improvement in his play it will be a monster year for him and for the team.

Lastly, I believe that Sing has Johnson on board to insure OC consistency. Raye is the old master Yoda and Johnson/Rathman can be the new young bucks learning the system and when they become OCs they will have their unique twists but still in the same basic system. So all around I see improvement in the offense for the Niners this year. I see 9-6 to 12-4 for the team and improved play from Smith, the oline, Gore, Crabtree, and Davis.

Well, he looks like Yoda!
Yeah, lets promote this guy to OC because he has made Alex Smith into a superstar.
This might have been mentioned in the 8 earlier pages of thread, but the reason Mike Johnson was brought in at QB coach is to eventually to take over as the OC when Ray leaves. Mike Johnson was being considered for the OC position, but we saw him as inexperienced at the time.
Originally posted by Youngone:
Yeah, lets promote this guy to OC because he has made Alex Smith into a superstar.

He's doing much better than many people ever expected he would.
Share 49ersWebzone