There are 207 users in the forums

When will Michael Crabtree be signed?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

When will Michael Crabtree be signed?

Originally posted by Method:
John Clayton with some excellent reporting!!!!!

Crabtree could sign within the week, maybe in 2 weeks, or maybe after the season starts!

Thanks John!!!

Wooooooo! Crabtree baby! Thank you John Clayton!
  • the_woad
  • Info N/A

I just heard Adam Schefter report that Crabtree has agreed to an offer by the 49ers in principle but will not sign the deal until this thread reaches 150 pages.

Its time to work overtime gentlemen. Post! Post! Post!

[ Edited by the_woad on Aug 19, 2009 at 1:19 AM ]
Originally posted by the_woad:

I just heard Adam Schefter report that Crabtree has agreed to an offer by the 49ers in principle but will not sign the deal until this thread reaches 150 pages.

• ImaMod
  • Veteran

When I read that I was like ...then I was like
  • Dino
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ImaMod:

When I read that I was like ...then I was like

lol same. what a buzz kill.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by mug0mug:
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by 49ers2009:
We can still trade Crabtree.

Have you heard of sign-n-trade.

Um, the problem is we can't get him signed. If and when we do, I have no idea why we should trade him

I was just curious where this thread had gone after 125 pages and I definitely am not going to read them all, so I apologize for the likely case that this was already covered.

Anyway, he doesn't need to be signed to be traded. The Niners can trade the rights to him, leaving the recipient to work out a deal with him. Of course, the Niners could also grant permission to negotiate with other teams and then trade to a team who is willing to match his demands, and then trade him.

I'm not saying I think this should be done or will be done, just that it is theoretically possible.

I'm willing to forgive and forget and love him when he signs, but if for some reason he maintains his position, I'd prefer he just miss the season and get drafted way later next year to set a precedent and make an example.

Deadline passed on August 14. CBA states that unsigned draftees cannot be traded within a 30 day window of the first Sunday of the regular season.

But can't he be traded after the season, if indeed he decides to sit out?
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by 49ers2009:
We can still trade Crabtree.

Have you heard of sign-n-trade.

Um, the problem is we can't get him signed. If and when we do, I have no idea why we should trade him

I was just curious where this thread had gone after 125 pages and I definitely am not going to read them all, so I apologize for the likely case that this was already covered.

Anyway, he doesn't need to be signed to be traded. The Niners can trade the rights to him, leaving the recipient to work out a deal with him. Of course, the Niners could also grant permission to negotiate with other teams and then trade to a team who is willing to match his demands, and then trade him.

I'm not saying I think this should be done or will be done, just that it is theoretically possible.

I'm willing to forgive and forget and love him when he signs, but if for some reason he maintains his position, I'd prefer he just miss the season and get drafted way later next year to set a precedent and make an example.

Deadline passed on August 14. CBA states that unsigned draftees cannot be traded within a 30 day window of the first Sunday of the regular season.

But can't he be traded after the season, if indeed he decides to sit out?

No. The timeline for any trade has passed. Either he signs with the Niners, or re-enters the draft.

The next deadline to keep an eye on is the tenth week of the regular season. If he doesn't sign by the tenth week, he cannot play the rest of his rookie year. He can only start in Year 2.
Originally posted by backontop:
Maddog nobody said the guy was a rookie. But like I stated the guys job is to get his clients signed and on the field. Now do you think he is doing his job?

It is true that he needs to get his clients on the field. At the same time, this is a multi-year contract, so the thinking for the agent is long-term security for their client.

Is he doing his job? Surely. Wait until the final numbers come out. He will gain millions more than if Crabtree was a DT, and under normal draft circumstances.

how is it not normal draft circumstances? He was a college player then entered the draft. he was selected 10th overall in the draft that he entered. Seems pretty normal to me. Brady Quinn was expected to go a lot higher than he did should he have held out for #1 overall money??? Don't give me that normal circumstances bulls**t. Players fall in the draft it happens Crabtree needs to get over it and sign his damn contract. Crying about it isn't going to help his career any and if he holds out it will do nothing but hurt him.

I know my explanation is buried probably on page 25 or so, but Crabtree's situation is unique. Here was a top 5 draftee that slid simply because he could not work out due to a temporary injury. This is unlike a typical draftee who naturally slides on draft day like a Brady Quinn, who was able to conduct a full workout for clubs.

Jumping in place of Crabtree, due to that injury, was a player that is not in his league. Crabtree has been the focus of this draft before, during, and after, since nobody projected he'd fall to the 10th slot.

I think Parker has a strong argument that his client deserves money outside his slot, either in guaranteed money, or overall contract compensation. The only question is how much.
Originally posted by oldninerdude:
Originally posted by 49oz2superbowl:
I thought I would post Satan's biography. Satan also goes by these various names: Beelzubub, the Devil, the Wicked One, Power of Darkness, Belial, Red Dragon, and Prince of this World>

Eugene Parker Bio:
Eugene E. Parker
Contract Advisor
Attorney Eugene Parker began his career in sports as an aspiring young athlete - much like those he represents today. Parker played basketball for Purdue University and went on to be drafted by the San Antonio Spurs. After a year of playing with Athletes in Action, Parker began law school at Valparaiso University, where he graduated with his J.D. in 1982. He began his ascent into the world of professional sports management when a local star, Roosevelt Barnes, Jr., asked for Parker’s advice on his Detroit Lions contract. From there, he has gone on to negotiate ground-breaking and record-setting NFL contracts and represent some of today’s top athletes, including Deion Sanders, Emmitt Smith, Hines Ward, and Larry Fitzgerald. Parker is known throughout the sports industry as both a tough negotiator and a man of integrity. Protecting his client’s best interests is always a number-one priority. Parker feels that there is more to being a good agent than negotiating a top-notch contract. Helping a client adjust to his new life as a professional athlete is also extremely important. He shows clients how they can use their athletic talents as a vehicle to gain an economic advantage in society.

Parker was once a nice guy, a Christian, who played with Athletes in Action, but suddenly and ruthless became greedy and evil. ARGH!! The evil just oozes out of him.

The True Face of Evil

I normally agree and support just about everything you say, but I really have to agree to disagree on this. We are in an economic recession, NFL jobs are being cut by over 25%, even pension plans are being revoked. Not to mention the industry already pays next to nothing to anyone that is not a GM or head coach.

This is all to accomodate for what? Outrageous salaries that Parker forces out of NFL teams. Yeah he represents a fine list of clientele, but every single one of them is overpaid (compared to comparable NFL athletes). Yes, he's doing his job. But, yes, he's also "Sleazy" for his tendency to hold out his players and leverage teams into paying athletes what they don't realistically deserve (forcing them to find other ways to save money, ie. layoff and/or cut the wages of the blue collar NFL workforce)... for a man that had alot of lucky breaks in his career, he sure doesn't help out the little man a lot.... (this is all coming from an Ivy League, Economics and Business double major, who graduated cum laude as a varsity football athlete, yet can't find even a $25,000 job with an NFL team in any capacity )

You make a nice moral argument, but at the end of the day, this is a business, from both labor and management.

He does play hardball with clubs, and that is how he gets top 5 WR money for players like Greg Jennings. The Devil is good at what he does.

Parker may very well be the greatest sports agent alive. Doesn't really matter, IMHO.

I have been negotiating "deals" for clients for over 20 years, both in criminal and in civil cases. I know some extremely talented, dedicated and hard working attorneys, and I've seen them in negotiations. Their negotiating skills are important, but most often, it boils down to leverage.

So where's Parker's leverage here? The possibility of Crabtree holding out for the year? That ultimately hurts his client as much, if not more, than it hurts the Niners. Is he going to pay Crabtree the money Crabs will miss out on if he sits out the year? Parker doesn't have THAT kind of clout, or money.

Its difficult for Parker to play "hardball" when he's only got that one pitch (and someone else already tossed it out there). Where's his leverage?

The longer Crabs holds out, the worse it gets, for him. Yes, the Niner's are missing their #1 draftpick, BUT Crabs is also missing--missing practice time, missing playing time, and ultimately missing money that he'll never get to make up.

BTW, I join in your objection to the less polite references aimed your way. No need for that sort of language, and I congratulate you for declining to respond in kind, even if I agree that your support for Parker seems somewhat overstated at times.

Hello, my friend.

I think both sides have leverage, in different ways. Crabtree will lose this year's salary if he doesn't sign, and risks dropping lower than 10th overall in next year's draft. He does have the potential to exceed the current offer if he re-enters and improves his draft status.

Meanwhile, the only potential gain for the Niners if he doesn't sign is having more cap space. If the Niners received compensation for Crabtree not signing, then they would hold all the cards. However, I'm not sure the savings in cap space, and holding firm in their contract offer, will be worth it.

Parker appears to be one of the sharper agents in dealing with controversial player contracts, and has a pretty strong history of pulling a rabbit out of a hat. He's gone through these prolonged contracts many times before, and I think he would have played this out in his mind before engaging in contract talks. I could be wrong, since I do not have access to his mind.
Originally posted by Bobbi9698:
How is his bio important? Try to find one guy outside Tom Condon with a list as impressive as this.

Maximum Sports Management Client List
Name Team
Alex Barron Saint Louis Rams
Travis Beckum NY Giants
Cedric Benson Cincinnati Bengals
Will Blackmon Green Bay Packers
Derrick Brooks Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Dominique Byrd Arizona Cardinals
Jairus Byrd Buffalo Bills
Corey Chavous Saint Louis Rams
Laveranues Coles New York Jets
Michael Crabtree San Francisco 49ers
Sedrick Ellis New Orleans Saints
Trai Essex Pittsburgh Steelers
Larry Fitzgerald Arizona Cardinals
BenJarvus Green-Ellis New England Patriots
James Hardy Buffalo Bills
Justin Harrell Green Bay Packers
Ryan Harris Denver Broncos
Devin Hester Chicago Bears
Steven Jackson Saint Louis Rams
Tyson Jackson Kansas City Chiefs
Greg Jennings Green Bay Packers
Felix Jones Dallas Cowboys
Walter Jones Seattle Seahawks
Dustin Keller New York Jets
Alex Magee Kansas City Chiefs
Curtis Martin New York Jets (Retired)
Turk McBride Kansas City Chiefs
Justin Miller Oakland Raiders
Roman Oben San Diego Chargers
Jarrad Page Kansas City Chiefs
Chris Perry Cincinnati Bengals
Jason Peters Buffalo Bills Client Info
Tracy Porter New Orleans Saints
Chilo Rachal San Francisco 49ers
Jay Richardson Oakland Raiders
Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie Arizona Cardinals
Deion Sanders Baltimore Ravens (Retired)
Darell Scott St. Louis Rams
Richard Seymour New England Patriots
Corey Simon Tennessee Titans (Retired)
Emmitt Smith Dallas Cowboys (Retired)
Anthony Spencer Dallas Cowboys
Max Starks Pittsburgh Steelers
Joey Thomas Miami Dolphins
Lee Vickers Baltimore Ravens
Hines Ward Pittsburgh Steelers
Chauncey Washington Jacksonville Jaguars
Adrian Wilson Arizona Cardinals
Rod Woodson Oakland Raiders (Retired)

And many more retired players not listed.

I only put this list down to remind some of the board members that he is not an amateur. He's not going to be intimidated by Scot and Jed York, and he is going to get a big number one way or another for Crabtree. He's not a guy who goes into a contract situation blindly, and then grasps to figure out what to do. He wouldn't have a client list this long or powerful if he was clueless in this job.

Great...the other thing to remember is that Grabtree will not sign, unless he wants to...his agent can give him solid advice AND he can choose to ignore it.

Very much true. Nobody knows who's driving the negotiations on Team Crabtree.

Maddog nobody said the guy was a rookie. But like I stated the guys job is to get his clients signed and on the field. Now do you think he is doing his job?

It is true that he needs to get his clients on the field. At the same time, this is a multi-year contract, so the thinking for the agent is long-term security for their client.

Is he doing his job? Surely. Wait until the final numbers come out. He will gain millions more than if Crabtree was a DT, and under normal draft circumstances.

how is it not normal draft circumstances? He was a college player then entered the draft. he was selected 10th overall in the draft that he entered. Seems pretty normal to me. Brady Quinn was expected to go a lot higher than he did should he have held out for #1 overall money??? Don't give me that normal circumstances bulls**t. Players fall in the draft it happens Crabtree needs to get over it and sign his damn contract. Crying about it isn't going to help his career any and if he holds out it will do nothing but hurt him.

I know my explanation is buried probably on page 25 or so, but Crabtree's situation is unique. Here was a top 5 draftee that slid simply because he could not work out due to a temporary injury. This is unlike a typical draftee who naturally slides on draft day like a Brady Quinn, who was able to conduct a full workout for clubs.

Jumping in place of Crabtree, due to that injury, was a player that is not in his league. Crabtree has been the focus of this draft before, during, and after, since nobody projected he'd fall to the 10th slot.

I think Parker has a strong argument that his client deserves money outside his slot, either in guaranteed money, or overall contract compensation. The only question is how much.

Crabtree was a top 10 draft pick. You can argue that he was a top 5 pick all you want. Bottom line, he was drafted 10th! This "unique" crap is garbage. Also, most teams don't rely on individual workouts as much as film from college. Anybody can have a great workout. They don't do these workouts 11 on 11. That doesn't count as much as you wanna think. Nobody projected Brady Quinn to drop to 22nd but it happened. Nobody expected Aaron Rodgers to fall to 24th. It happens. I've been following this thread and your "argument" and you have yet to give a logical and reasonable explanation about how he deserves top 5 money. You are speaking in hypotheticals and the rest of us are dealing in reality. He was drafted 10th!

You keep drinking that Kool-Aid. Obviously, its working for you!
[ Edited by TheChozen on Aug 19, 2009 at 6:50 AM ]
this thread will go 200 pages before he gets signed
Originally posted by King49er:

I don't doubt that.
Originally posted by TheChozen:

I don't doubt that.

it's the truth
[ Edited by King49er on Aug 19, 2009 at 7:23 AM ]
Originally posted by TheChozen:

I don't doubt that.

it's the truth

I'm starting to think Jerry Rice and Steve Young will come out of retirement before he signs.
Share 49ersWebzone