There are 66 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

OL Blocking Pattern Emerging?

When I read about Staley getting beat by lawson, it makes me think that the pass rush is getting better....

Staley is a good lineman, so you can't just say that hes just a crappy player whos getting beat.

Hes a solid LT, and if hes getting beat by lawson here and there, it shows that Lawson has stepped his game up....
Originally posted by niner4life21:
When I read about Staley getting beat by lawson, it makes me think that the pass rush is getting better....

Staley is a good lineman, so you can't just say that hes just a crappy player whos getting beat.

Hes a solid LT, and if hes getting beat by lawson here and there, it shows that Lawson has stepped his game up....

This is great news I agree 100% I hadn't heard bout this yet! Keep it up lawson!
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by 5TIME49:
Originally posted by vermonator:
I like how the writer says he doesn't understand why the play continues after what would have been a sack. It's all about repitition at this point. Sure, lets delay the quarterbacks progress while the line learns to gel. Glad he's a writer and not a coach. Funny stuff.

Yeah man. When I read that, I was thinking, what the hell is he talking about. The ball has been snapped the play is underway, lets stop it because the oline let someone through. Its all about reps, and trying to better the players and the play. I dont think you can do that just by snapping the ball.

To add to that,

A "false sense of security" against WHO? Their own defense???

Right.

The last thing the 49ers QB's need is to have a "false sense of security" against the one defensive team that they will never play in an actual game.

With that logic, the Ravens QB's would never be able to practice throwing a football in 11 on 11.

Originally posted by NinerFan1977:
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by 5TIME49:
Originally posted by vermonator:
I like how the writer says he doesn't understand why the play continues after what would have been a sack. It's all about repitition at this point. Sure, lets delay the quarterbacks progress while the line learns to gel. Glad he's a writer and not a coach. Funny stuff.

Yeah man. When I read that, I was thinking, what the hell is he talking about. The ball has been snapped the play is underway, lets stop it because the oline let someone through. Its all about reps, and trying to better the players and the play. I dont think you can do that just by snapping the ball.

To add to that,

A "false sense of security" against WHO? Their own defense???

Right.

The last thing the 49ers QB's need is to have a "false sense of security" against the one defensive team that they will never play in an actual game.

With that logic, the Ravens QB's would never be able to practice throwing a football in 11 on 11.

Agreed, straight to the point and 100% true!
Originally posted by niner4life21:

I would like to believe that our pass rush has improved that much cause we certainly need to see an improvement in that area.
sounding like the same o line that gave up the most sacks 2 years in a row
Originally posted by lamontb:

Wow I reeeaallly hope your wrong!
Originally posted by frankie:
Originally posted by lamontb:

Wow I reeeaallly hope your wrong!

Me too but they have given up the most sacks the last 2 years running and the only upgrade is a guy who is injury problems and is being eased back into the line up. Hopefully they gel b/c the season won't be productive if the qb is getting killed. Scrapping Martz should sure up some of the blocking problems from last year. Y
I thought I read somewhere that it seems as though the linemen are picking up the stunts much better this year and that Forrester is a very good coach. (thanks Nolan)

[ Edited by Joecool on Aug 4, 2009 at 09:04:21 ]
  • nekst
  • Info N/A
One of my main concerns going into the season is pass protection. Interesting that the Matts haven't mentioned it being "awful" though.

Maiocco has said that the offense looks better than last year at this time.

Time will tell...
Originally posted by Joecool:
I thought I read somewhere that it seems as though the linemen are picking up the stunts much better this year and that Forrester is a very good coach. (thanks Nolan)

Forrester is a terrible OL coach. I'm sorry let me rephrase - he has yet to prove that he's a decent coach.

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/thread.php?num=126731&highlight=NinerGM

I started the thread above to combat that myth about Forrester some time ago. If anything what's described here makes me worry a bit given what I've read at each of Forrester's stop as OL coach.

[ Edited by NinerGM on Aug 4, 2009 at 12:22:50 ]
Originally posted by NinerGM:

Forrester is a terrible OL coach. I'm sorry let me rephrase - he has yet to prove that he's a decent coach.

I started the thread above to combat that myth about Forrester some time ago. If anything what's described here makes me worry a bit given what I've read at each of Forrester's stop as OL coach.

I read the link and as much as Forrester hasn't shown to have great lines, he coached a riddled and heavily injured 2007 offensive line very well. The 2007 Baltimore team was playing 2 OL off the street in the middle of the year or so and one rookie. They were literally decimated and he had them playing solid considering the situation. We were down to our 3rd RT last year and the RT was our main weakness. You can't blame all of that on Forrester. It think he will get good results from our linemen.

I read the link and as much as Forrester hasn't shown to have great lines, he coached a riddled and heavily injured 2007 offensive line very well. The 2007 Baltimore team was playing 2 OL off the street in the middle of the year or so and one rookie. They were literally decimated and he had them playing solid considering the situation. We were down to our 3rd RT last year and the RT was our main weakness. You can't blame all of that on Forrester. It think he will get good results from our linemen.

I'm just saying what others who watched Forrester for a long time have said for other teams. It's just interesting to me that those teams suddenly got amazingly better once he left. I think it's similar to what Denver fans think about Nolan - I think we know him a little better than they do.

Granted the 2007 line had injuries, it's the comments that were posted not only discuss 2007 but about most places he's been :

Finally, it's worth noting that the Baltimore Ravens changed offensive line coaches. Gone is Chris Foerster, who served as the team's offensive line coach since 2005. The Ravens line was miserable in '05, better in '06, and not very good in '07. In 2004, his last year in Miami, his line surrendered the second most sacks in the league (52) and tied for last in yards per rush (3.5). Foerster was hired by San Francisco this year, and I suppose it should surprise no one that the 49ers are 25th in rushing yards, and 3rd worst in sacks allowed (45).

I guess what's of note is what a fan said....

And could someone please tell me how Chris Foerster gets a hall pass? Here’s a coach who left Miami in 2004 after his O-Line was tied for second worst in the league in sacks allowed (52). They also were tied for dead last in average yards per rush (3.5 yards).

In 2005 with virtually the same offensive line personnel and without Foerster the Dolphins were fourth best in the league at protecting the quarterback (26 sacks) and tied for seventh best in average per carry (4.3 yards).

And Foerster became the Ravens offensive line coach and assistant head coach why?

http://ravens24x7.blogspot.com/2006_08_01_archive.html

All of which were prior to 2007. So we'll see when it comes to Forrester. Snyder looks like the starter at RT over Smith. What I've read consistently in other places doesn't imbue me with confidence about Forrester, but the jury is still out.

I can wait and see. The first 4 games will be very revealing.

I'm just saying what others who watched Forrester for a long time have said for other teams. It's just interesting to me that those teams suddenly got amazingly better once he left. I think it's similar to what Denver fans think about Nolan - I think we know him a little better than they do.

Granted the 2007 line had injuries, it's the comments that were posted not only discuss 2007 but about most places he's been :

Finally, it's worth noting that the Baltimore Ravens changed offensive line coaches. Gone is Chris Foerster, who served as the team's offensive line coach since 2005. The Ravens line was miserable in '05, better in '06, and not very good in '07. In 2004, his last year in Miami, his line surrendered the second most sacks in the league (52) and tied for last in yards per rush (3.5). Foerster was hired by San Francisco this year, and I suppose it should surprise no one that the 49ers are 25th in rushing yards, and 3rd worst in sacks allowed (45).

And could someone please tell me how Chris Foerster gets a hall pass? Here’s a coach who left Miami in 2004 after his O-Line was tied for second worst in the league in sacks allowed (52). They also were tied for dead last in average yards per rush (3.5 yards).

In 2005 with virtually the same offensive line personnel and without Foerster the Dolphins were fourth best in the league at protecting the quarterback (26 sacks) and tied for seventh best in average per carry (4.3 yards).

And Foerster became the Ravens offensive line coach and assistant head coach why?

All of which were prior to 2007. So we'll see when it comes to Forrester. Snyder looks like the starter at RT over Smith. What I've read consistently in other places doesn't imbue me with confidence about Forrester, but the jury is still out.

In 2005, MIA acquired Ronnie Brown, a rookie that rushed for 907 yards and Ricky Williams, who rushed for 743 yards. Much better upgrade over Travis Minor who Forrester had along with AJ Feeley.

I do not know how the Ravens personnel on the offensive line changed personnel...

In 2005, MIA acquired Ronnie Brown, a rookie that rushed for 907 yards and Ricky Williams, who rushed for 743 yards. Much better upgrade over Travis Minor who Forrester had along with AJ Feeley.

I do not know how the Ravens personnel on the offensive line changed personnel...

But Joe - I don't get how that applies? Right? Forrester's lines were good at runblocking. Pass-protection - that's another story. Analysis of both the Ravens and Dolphis, his lines were tops in sacks allowed. That's what's concerning.