There are 132 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

OL Blocking Pattern Emerging?

A pattern has emerged from the two practices I've seen - at this early date in training camp, the team's run blocking is awesome, particularly with Frank Gore running and particularly up the middle. The pass protection however is awful, and often in team drills, blitzers are flying in unblocked. Of course, pass rushers don't hit the quarterback, they simply stop right next to him, so often the play continues even though the QB would have likely been sacked, which I don't understand. The play should stop if the quarterback is going to get sacked, otherwise they might feel a false sense of security. It also allows the quarterbacks a longer time in the pocket to find receivers.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/ninerinsider/detail?blogid=45&entry_id=44802#ixzz0NA5FxqNe

Discuss
  • rum53
  • Veteran
Pass blocking takes longer to develop than run blocking. Pass blocking requires the five Olineman to work together to recognize the defense and then pick up stunts and blitzes while working together as a unit. This is all on top of individual pass blocking technique.

This is the first training camp with our current line. Hopefully they will improve upon their chemistry as they get more familiar with the playbook as well as familiar with each other.
I wonder if it is on Snyder side. Hopefully its just something the oline can work on as they develop more continuity with each other.
I like how the writer says he doesn't understand why the play continues after what would have been a sack. It's all about repitition at this point. Sure, lets delay the quarterbacks progress while the line learns to gel. Glad he's a writer and not a coach. Funny stuff.
Originally posted by vermonator:
I like how the writer says he doesn't understand why the play continues after what would have been a sack. It's all about repitition at this point. Sure, lets delay the quarterbacks progress while the line learns to gel. Glad he's a writer and not a coach. Funny stuff.

Yeah man. When I read that, I was thinking, what the hell is he talking about. The ball has been snapped the play is underway, lets stop it because the oline let someone through. Its all about reps, and trying to better the players and the play. I dont think you can do that just by snapping the ball.
Originally posted by 5TIME49:
Originally posted by vermonator:

Yeah man. When I read that, I was thinking, what the hell is he talking about. The ball has been snapped the play is underway, lets stop it because the oline let someone through. Its all about reps, and trying to better the players and the play. I dont think you can do that just by snapping the ball.

To add to that,

A "false sense of security" against WHO? Their own defense???

Right.

The last thing the 49ers QB's need is to have a "false sense of security" against the one defensive team that they will never play in an actual game.

With that logic, the Ravens QB's would never be able to practice throwing a football in 11 on 11.
give the OL time they are still learning the system.. besides this is basically the same line from last year
they'll be fne
I'm hoping the line gels quickly and this pass protection comes together. Would like to see Marvel Smith in there with Chilo Rachal on the right side dominating people!
Is the OL bad or is our pass rush that good
It's still very early. I'm not too concerned just yet.
  • WestCoastNut
  • Info N/A
It's probably going to be wild and crazy for a while, with the QB running for his life. Not healthy for a pocket-style passer, as least for the first few games of the season.
It may take them some time to jell, but once they do they'll be fine.
maybe our pass rushers are getting better
Originally posted by tohara3:
I'm hoping the line gels quickly and this pass protection comes together. Would like to see Marvel Smith in there with Chilo Rachal on the right side dominating people!
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home