LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 287 users in the forums

Brandon Jones - So far, so good

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by RichmondPete:
I never did understand why so many people hated the signing. This guy just needs to be thrown the ball.

I don't think anyone hated the signing. People were just sick of us making a half *ss attempt to upgrade a sh*tty receiving core every year. We haven't had a 1,000 yard receiver since TO left, and adding Brandon Jones really wasn't go to make anyone feel optimistic about changing that.

Signing Brandon Jones and relying on him are two different things. Keep in mind Isaac Bruce was on the verge of retirement and it didn't look like we were going to draft a receiver til the mid rounds. Forgive me for not embracing the thought of Morgan, Jones, and Hill as our receiving core.
People were sick and tired of signing "potential" but in this case, so far, it seems Scot McCloughan hit the mark. Jones had a VERY respectable rookie year but was slowed down by a couple of injuries his second and 4th years.

In case you forgot:

" The 49ers signed wide receiver Brandon Jones this morning to a five-year, $16.5 million contract with $5.4 million in guaranteed money, according to his agent.

Jones, who played the first four seasons of his NFL career with the Titans, arrived in the Bay Area on Friday night to undergo a physical. He met this morning with coach Mike Singletary and general manager Scot McCloughan and others.

Jones (6-foot-1, 212 pounds) was a third-round pick from Oklahoma in 2005. His fastest time in the 40 during pre-draft workouts was 4.38 seconds.

Injuries have limited him in two of his four NFL seasons. He sustained a torn right ACL in 2005, and injured his groin in 2007.

In 2006, Jones was voted by his teammates as the winner of the Ed Block Courage Award, given annually to one player from every team for sportsmanship and courage.

Jones was selected by the New York Yankees in the 28th round of the 2001 amateur baseball draft, following his senior year of high school. He decided to accept a football scholarship to Oklahoma instead. He did play centerfield for the Sooners' baseball team his freshman and sophomore seasons.

Jones joins a 49ers receiving corps that includes Josh Morgan, Jason Hill, Arnaz Battle and Dominique Zeigler. Veteran Isaac Bruce has yet to inform the 49ers whether he plans to return for the 2009 season. Bruce is contemplating retirement. The club has shown no interest in re-signing Bryant Johnson, who was second on the 49ers with 45 catches for 546 yards last season.

The Brandon Jones File

2008: 16 games (7 starts) 41 rec., 449 yards, 11.0 avg., 1 TD, Long of 40 yards

2007: 9 games (2 starts) 21 rec., 248 yards, 11.8 avg., 2 TDs, Long of 35 yards

2006: 16 games (10 starts) 27 rec., 384 yards, 14.2 avg., 4 TDs, Long of 53 yards

2005: 10 games (8 starts) 23 rec., 299 yards, 13.0 avg., 2 TDs, Long of 38"Matt M.'s initial Article on Jones
Originally posted by tjd808185:
I never did understand why so many people hated the signing. This guy just needs to be thrown the ball.

I don't think anyone hated the signing. People were just sick of us making a half *ss attempt to upgrade a sh*tty receiving core every year. We haven't had a 1,000 yard receiver since TO left, and adding Brandon Jones really wasn't go to make anyone feel optimistic about changing that.

Signing Brandon Jones and relying on him are two different things. Keep in mind Isaac Bruce was on the verge of retirement and it didn't look like we were going to draft a receiver til the mid rounds. Forgive me for not embracing the thought of Morgan, Jones, and Hill as our receiving core.

To me there was really no better value out there this offseason for a receiver . It was pretty clear that the 49ers needed to add a solid young receiver when they signed him so the complaining about his signing was really just a bunch of armchair GMs whining about the only offensive move the niners had made at that point. Bruce will be gone next year and his playing time will decrease substantially this year. Theres no telling when Crabtree will sign so its a damn good thing we have Jones this season to rely on.

[ Edited by RichmondPete on Aug 4, 2009 at 12:05:00 ]
Originally posted by tjd808185:

To me there was really no better value out there this offseason for a receiver . It was pretty clear that the 49ers needed to add a solid young receiver when they signed him so the complaining about his signing was really just a bunch of armchair GMs whining about the only offensive move the niners had made at that point. Bruce will be gone next year and his playing time will decrease substantially this year. Theres no telling when Crabtree will sign so its a damn good thing we have Jones this season to rely on.

Pretty much. That being said our history over the past 5 years suggested we weren't going to do anything additional to significantly upgrade ourselves at receiver.

If you gave those arm chair GM's a crystal ball and said Bruce would be coming back and we're going to draft Crabtree I bet you no one would complain about us signing him. It really wasn't about him it was about us actually upgrading our receiving core this year.

[ Edited by tjd808185 on Aug 4, 2009 at 12:42:12 ]
  • GORO
  • Veteran
Jones and Morgan and Hill make me believe that since Crabtree is selfish we should try to trade him.

I was excited that we got Crabtree but dissapointed that Michael Ohre was not a niner
Originally posted by GORO:
Jones and Morgan and Hill make me believe that since Crabtree is selfish we should try to trade him.

I was excited that we got Crabtree but dissapointed that Michael Ohre was not a niner

Wow! Trade him? Really?
Originally posted by BMore9ersfan:

Wow! Trade him? Really?

lol
Jones is really showing something so far and it makes the signing of Crabtree far less urgent. I would not be unhappy if by the time Crabs signs, he's relegated to playing behind the starters all year as long as they produce. Would serve him right. Now let's hope Jones isn't just a practice standout and disappears in games like another B.J (Brandon Jacobs). By the way, what's with all the B.J. initials? Brandon Jones, Brandon Jacobs, Bryant Johnson......Am I leaving anyone out?
yea, this pretty much sements my belief that battle is a gonna be cut this year.
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Bruce (was our best WR last year...and might still be at his age....made CBs look silly at times with his routes)
Josh Morgan (showed what he can do on the field)
Jason Hill (made key 3rd down catches last year and is the fastest of the group)
Brandon Jones (seems to be playing well so far....Fisher thinks highly of him)

+
Crabtree

+
Vernon Davis

are there going to be enough pass opportunities to go around?

and we are suppose to be a "run orientated" offense.

The average football game has about 120-125 plays that average like 7 seconds. This totals like 14 mins of action........... Sooooo

If our D is as good as we hope, and we are able to win the clock control game this year, that means we should get like 60-75 offense plays per game...... Assuming J.Ray is 60 percent run 40 percent pass, or 50/50 we will get about 20 to 30 plus passes per game. That is enough for 5 talented recievers and tight ends i feel.......

Originally posted by BurritoSmuggler:
yea, this pretty much sements my belief that battle is a gonna be cut this year.

Every year people have this belief and yet he is still here playing. I have read more about his play in TC than Hill so far. It will be interesting to see what happens.
Originally posted by 4evrfan:
Jones is really showing something so far and it makes the signing of Crabtree far less urgent. I would not be unhappy if by the time Crabs signs, he's relegated to playing behind the starters all year as long as they produce. Would serve him right. Now let's hope Jones isn't just a practice standout and disappears in games like another B.J (Brandon Jacobs). By the way, what's with all the B.J. initials? Brandon Jones, Brandon Jacobs, Bryant Johnson......Am I leaving anyone out?

which brandon jacobs are you talking aobut?
Originally posted by kujon11:
Originally posted by 4evrfan:

which brandon jacobs are you talking aobut?

lol, he's probably referring to Taylor Jacobs - former TC star.

-9fA
Originally posted by niner4life21:
Trade Crabtree. Morgan, Hill, Jones and Zeigler give us enough.

Whats up with the Ziegler love on the Zone?

He is an underdog, practice squad survivor.

Thus, he is the 'Zone's crowned hero of the day!
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Bruce (was our best WR last year...and might still be at his age....made CBs look silly at times with his routes)
Josh Morgan (showed what he can do on the field)
Jason Hill (made key 3rd down catches last year and is the fastest of the group)
Brandon Jones (seems to be playing well so far....Fisher thinks highly of him)

+
Crabtree

+
Vernon Davis

are there going to be enough pass opportunities to go around?

and we are suppose to be a "run orientated" offense.

~ Vernon can't catch.
~ Bruce is getting older.
~ Crabtree has a banged up foot and is unproven.

I think you are overrating this group.

Share 49ersWebzone